• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US presidential election

Who are/did/would you vote for?

• Total voters

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='smile72']

No one has forgotten that, but when you say things like (on the subject of pregnant [censored] victims)...

I believe and I think that the right approach is to accept this horribly created, in the sense of [censored], but nevertheless, in a very broken way, a gift of human life, and accept what God is giving to you.

Yeah, distancing yourself from such an extreme position is going to be a nigh impossible task.
Karl Rove would have helped him try though.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know I'm not an American but I hope you can stil appreciate my toughts about the elections.
Ron Paul is my personal favorite, but since its very unlikely he's going to be chosen I would still chose Obama.
Sure he has made mistakes, but then again all presidents before him have too.
You might ask why I don't want to choose any of the other candidates.
That's mainly because I think religion and state have to be separated at al costs.
The other candidates keep some things that really have to be changed like they are or change things for the worst so they can practice their religion better, but that's just not how a country works and we still have to respect other religions in a country.
For example you can say you're against abortion because of your religion and that's ok for me, but other people do think it's ok and I think we have to let them do what they want.

That's just what I wanted to say about it and I hope you respect that.
Also I'm sorry if I said something that's not correct so feel free to correct me. :)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it strange, given your other positions, that you like Ron Paul, someone who expressly does not believe in the separation of church and state and who would push through legislation allowing the abortion to be outlawed.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I find it strange, given your other positions, that you like Ron Paul, someone who expressly does not believe in the separation of church and state and who would push through legislation allowing the abortion to be outlawed.

Yes I know, BUT he still says that the government shouldn't make a decision about abortion. So to him it's a choice the states have to make.
Since not all states are that conservative there will be states where it is allowed.
Same on gay mariage. He thinks the church has to make a decision about that. Not the government.
He's also against the death penalty which is a plus to me.

Also he wants to get the troops out of Irak and South-Korea and his ideas for the economy are also good for most part. (except quiting the United Nations and World Bank)

I know it seems a little in conflict with what I said about state and religion being separated at first, but actually I agree with Ron Paul on most parts because he's not extremely conservative.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes I know, BUT he still says that the government shouldn't make a decision about abortion. So to him it's a choice the states have to make.
Since not all states are that conservative there will be states where it is allowed.
Same on gay mariage. He thinks the church has to make a decision about that. Not the government.

Also he wants to get the troops out of Irak and South-Korea and his ideas for the economy are also good for most part. (except quiting the United Nations and World Bank)

I know it seems a little in conflict with what I said about state and religion being separated at first, but actually I agree with Ron Paul on most parts because he's not extremely conservative.

Well firstly, he seems extremely conservate to me, on almost all the polarising issues.

But anyway, how is the tyranny of the state any better than the tyranny of the federal government? What comfort is it to a pregnant 16 year old in Kansas that if she's lived in California she could have had an abortion? Or if she was rich enough to fly over there, she could have one, but if you're not, tough shit, it's life threatening pregnancy or coat hanger abortion for you kid. That's FREEDOM for you though, isn't it? The freedom of the state to tell a woman what she can do with her body, or to declare some people are second class citizens. Remember, this was someone who was against the civil rights act for the same reasons. It seems to me Paul is a far-right winger who has managed to get liberal college kids to support him with clever wordplay. He doesn't believe in evolution, gay marriage or reproductive rights, but he's such a nice guy he won't tell you you can't do them. He'll just chaneg the law so states can do that to you. Sorry, I mean have the freedom to do that to you. You groovy kids like freedom right?
For a Doctor, he seems to have no understanding of herd immunity either, so he think manditory vaccinations are bad as well. Because parents should have the freedom to risk the life of their child, and the childrren of everyone else in their vicinity.
That's without even getting into his batshit crazy economic policies, which is basically to not have an economy and trade chunks of gold and beef with each other like it's the wild west. But then at least he's consistent. And the stupider the idea he sticks to, the more it shows he's a man of conviction.
I'd go as far as to say Ron Paul makes Palin, Santorum and Bachmann look like positively sane individuals.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country

Well firstly, he seems extremely conservate to me, on almost all the polarising issues.

But anyway, how is the tyranny of the state any better than the tyranny of the federal government? What comfort is it to a pregnant 16 year old in Kansas that if she's lived in California she could have had an abortion? Or if she was rich enough to fly over there, she could have one, but if you're not, tough shit, it's life threatening pregnancy or coat hanger abortion for you kid. That's FREEDOM for you though, isn't it? The freedom of the state to tell a woman what she can do with her body, or to declare some people are second class citizens. Remember, this was someone who was against the civil rights act for the same reasons. It seems to me Paul is a far-right winger who has managed to get liberal college kids to support him with clever wordplay. He doesn't believe in evolution, gay marriage or reproductive rights, but he's such a nice guy he won't tell you you can't do them. He'll just chaneg the law so states can do that to you. Sorry, I mean have the freedom to do that to you. You groovy kids like freedom right?
For a Doctor, he seems to have no understanding of herd immunity either, so he think manditory vaccinations are bad as well. Because parents should have the freedom to risk the life of their child, and the childrren of everyone else in their vicinity.
That's without even getting into his batshit crazy economic policies, which is basically to not have an economy and trade chunks of gold and beef with each other like it's the wild west. But then at least he's consistent. And the stupider the idea he sticks to, the more it shows he's a man of conviction.
I'd go as far as to say Ron Paul makes Palin, Santorum and Bachmann look like positively sane individuals.
He's just as conservative as Santorum but he gets a lot of supporters by using the words "freedom" he's a perfect example of how wordplay can sell things.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well guys, it looks like it's gonna be Romney versus Obama. Now who would you go for? (you'll have to vote in the comments, I don't know how to change/refresh the poll)

I for one hope Romney wins. If Obama wins, the world really will end in 2012.

Libertarian94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would still vote Paul (If i could, that is).
I'm think it's important to vote on what you really believe in, and not compromise because ''this'' or ''that'' candidate has a better chance, so... It's still Paul for me!

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well comparing their policies I came to the conclusion that Romney is a greedy bastard who only thinks of himself and the upper class, and Obama has great ideas that just didn't come to fruition due to how the US legal system works, so I would vote for Obama.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My take is anybody but Obama. I can't think of one thing that's improved in my life since he's taken the helm. Basically he's a failure. High unemployment, high gas prices, high food prices, exploding deficit. I'm sorry but if you suck at your job you should be fired. I don't want to hear any excuses like "oh he can't get what he wants done" he's gotten plenty done it's just failed. I've had to fire people who can't do their job, oh they've had lots of excuses but that's pretty lame in my opinion. You can't do your job right get the hell out I need to hire a serious person that can.

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
My take is anybody but Obama. I can't think of one thing that's improved in my life since he's taken the helm. Basically he's a failure. High unemployment, high gas prices, high food prices, exploding deficit. I'm sorry but if you suck at your job you should be fired. I don't want to hear any excuses like "oh he can't get what he wants done" he's gotten plenty done it's just failed. I've had to fire people who can't do their job, oh they've had lots of excuses but that's pretty lame in my opinion. You can't do your job right get the hell out I need to hire a serious person that can.
Gas prices have nothing to due with Obama, and plus his tax plan is the only one to deal with the deficit, Romney only makes the deficit larger, and he has done things. Killed bin Laden, saved GM and Chrysler, he has helped lower unemployment.Yeah Romney, a person who has no opinion on anything, should run the country.
Edit:Damn misspelled bin Laden

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gas prices have nothing to due with Obama, and plus his tax plan is the only one to deal with the deficit, Romney only makes the deficit larger, and he has done things. Killed Bin Ladden, saved GM and Chrysler, he has helped lower unemployment.Yeah Romney, a person who has no opinion on anything, should run the country.
Hear me clearly: THIS IS BULLSHIT.

Killed bin laden? No- the seals did that.

Helped lower unemployment? Heck- the only time someone was shovel ready was at their funeral.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Gas prices have nothing to due with Obama, and plus his tax plan is the only one to deal with the deficit, Romney only makes the deficit larger, and he has done things. Killed Bin Ladden, saved GM and Chrysler, he has helped lower unemployment.Yeah Romney, a person who has no opinion on anything, should run the country.

Helped lower unemployment? Heck- the only time someone was shovel ready was at their funeral.
You seem to be blaming Obama for a lot of things he can't control.
High unemployment was caused by the global recession. Its pretty bad in most Western countries on the employment front just now. Obama can try and stem this unemployment but he didn't cause it.
High Gas Prices? Blame the global markets for that one. Everybody wants more and more oil and its getting more expensive to extract.
Exploding deficit? Part of that deficit was inherited but he took over during a recession, a time where you have to spend money to stop the economy completely collapsing due to stupid number crunching by high end bankers who suddenly think nothing's a safe bet and devalue everything. He would spend more anyway, he's a Democrat not a Republican.

As a non-American my voice doesn't really count for much. Just putting things in a bit of perspective. Britain has an increased deficit from over the recession to deal with as well but our country is nowhere near as big as yours so it hasn't reached into the trillions. Its not particularly anybody's fault. It was a requirement to stop the world's economy collapsing.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes,but the seals couldn't do it without his order. And here is our VP quoting your favorite candidate Mitt Romney.
“In 2008, while campaigning, Gov. Romney was asked what he would do about Bin Laden. Let me tell you exactly what he said, he said, ‘there would be a very insignificant increase in safety’ if bin laden was brought to justice. Then he went on to say, ‘it’s not worth moving heaven and earth, spending millions of dollars, just to catch one person,’” said Biden.​

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Here you go dickfour

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

"Yes but APART from that... and the aqueduct..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

As for gas prices, here's the funny thing. The right's spin machine spent the Bush years telling everyone that the potus could do nothing about gas prices. Now all of a sudden when terrible things are happening like unemployment going down, they seem to talk about little else but high gas prices and how it's all the president's fault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyq1azDlmCI

And "exploding deficit"? Who tells you this stuff? Maybe this might help you get a grip on reality. It might look unusual to you if you've been told the deficit is because of those "tax and spend liberals"

Y8IYx.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
President > vice president you dumbass. Unless something happened to Romney he woulda taken out bin laden.
NeoSupaMario, he was quoting Romney who at that time in 2008 was running for President. And if we are to believe what Romney says, no he wouldn't have, he admitted it himself, he also said he would not have bailed out GM or Chrysler. And name calling, I don't expect much from you who pretty much lies about Obama, and is just ignorant about politics, but that's what you get when you watch too much Fox News.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/2UeWMgjwogU?si=PfULn0Jf4XpnU6M_ Now I know how to install m.2