Hacking USB Loader GX Randomly Stopped Working

TheBeverage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've been using USB Loader GX for a while to load Wii backups off a USB flash drive without issue, except one day it simply stopped loading games. Especially odd as it had been working earlier the day it started having this issue. As shown in the video I'll link, the Wii just goes to a black screen and stops responding (note: there is still video output or my TV would show "No Signal" immediately).
See here:

I've tried loading GameCube games off an SD card (I usually use Nintendont) to test it and USB Loader GX won't load those games either. I've done a lot of Googling and searching around to no avail, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

BlazeHeatnix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've been using USB Loader GX for a while to load Wii backups off a USB flash drive without issue, except one day it simply stopped loading games. Especially odd as it had been working earlier the day it started having this issue. As shown in the video I'll link, the Wii just goes to a black screen and stops responding (note: there is still video output or my TV would show "No Signal" immediately).
See here:

I've tried loading GameCube games off an SD card (I usually use Nintendont) to test it and USB Loader GX won't load those games either. I've done a lot of Googling and searching around to no avail, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same exact problem as you, I haven't gotten any help either.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Try another loader to see if the issue is USBLoaderGX or not.
it will first show where we should search for the bug.

if it works in other loader, then it's USBGX issue.
if it doesn't work, then it's your ISO or flashcard or console's softmod, or ... I don't know, we will see after you try a different loader with the same hardware and drive.

Try a lot of "different" element to exclude them one by one. narrow the possibilities. this is how I find bugs and fix them.

Reactions: TheBeverage

TheBeverage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cyan. I tried loading the GameCube ISOs through Nintendont and that worked fine, so I'm guessing it's a USBGX issue. Guess I have to go looking for a new loader for Wii games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, you don't have to go look for a new loader.
You have to go look for the issue, and fix it.

What you just proved is that the ISO and device is still working fine.
now you have to find if the issue is the loader itself or the settings.

things you can try
1. reset the settings and try again
delete GXGlobal.cfg manually from the loader's folder or choose the reset option in the settings.

2. try a different nintendont version
USBGX is loading nintendont and sending parametters to it.
Sometime, nintendont update it's parametter list and the loader is not sending the correct/expected values anymore.
If that's the case, then I need to update these sent parametter and release a new version of the loader.
Did you update nintendont recently?
I just checked, nintendont didn't update its settings since august, but maybe you have an old version of the loader.
Be sure to update both the loader and nintendont.

3. try a different USBloader GX version.
if you updated recently, maybe there's a bug in the latest and old one worked fine?
if you have r1259, try r1256
if you have r1256, try r1246
etc.
don't go too far back, or nintendont will not work anymore.

4. try the same games
you posted a video of New Super mario Wii not booting, I suggested that you try a different loader with the "SAME" game, setup, drive, etc.
For example, Wiiflow or CFGLoader, not nintendont!
try the same game, so we know the wii games don't have other issues.

TheBeverage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the game to work when I tried using Wiiflow, and honestly I'm good with that. I appreciate the advice for getting USB Loader GX working again but frankly, so long as I can play the games I'm satisfied.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I got the game to work when I tried using Wiiflow, and honestly I'm good with that. I appreciate the advice for getting USB Loader GX working again but frankly, so long as I can play the games I'm satisfied.

have you tested all the games you have?
Wiiflow haven't been updated for ages, chances are your Nintendont version is outdated and you are compromising game compatibility.
usnloadergx is the only usb loader that is still active, don't discourage the dev like that

BlazeHeatnix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok TheBeverage, I can help.

The video clearly says you are using r1180. That's extremely outdated. Go into your settings to the Update menu, and update USBGX.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't worry, it's not discouraging me. I'm already missing time/will to work on it by myself, no need of other users to do that :lol:
I don't care if users prefer another one, when all three were still active it was only a user preference as all had the same features (more or less).
a lot of people preferred wiiflow, and I respect that.

but I still would have preferred to find where the issue was, first for beverage then for me and also for all the other users finding this thread when searching for a similar issue.

and as bladeHeatnix said, if you are using 1180 that's normal that newer nintendont won't work.
like I explained, nintendont updated many times its config file, and I had to also update the loader to continue "talking" the same language than nintendont.
last internal release is 1256 but has network issue.
last revision (not internal) is 1259 but has cover download bug, and soon 1260 with fixed network and cover issues.

That would fix the nintendont issue, but won't explain the Wii game issue.
Maybe he just set a wrong video mode.

Reactions: TheBeverage

TheBeverage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to give it another shot with the update (I had no idea you were the dev, sorry!) and it actually seemed to fix the issue with the Wii games. I'm still not quite sure what the issue was that suddenly appeared, but using the latest version it seems to be completely fixed. I feel a bit silly for not thinking of updating sooner actually.

I do much prefer this one's interface by far, so I'm glad to have it working again! Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad it also fixed the Wii launching issue.

About nintendont:
I will remove the "update nintendont" feature in r1260
But it will fix the cover download issue.

for the moment it's one or the other. I think nintendont is not updated as often as last year, so this option is less used. having a working network and cover downloader has priority in my opinion.
You can always update nintendont from the nintendont options (keep B pressed to stop autoboot, and update from options)

TheBeverage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so as I said it did seem to be working, but every few loads it simply stops again. I'm still using the latest version now, I have to redownload a fresh copy onto my SD card in order for games to load again.

WHEELMAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i have wiiu and everything done on vwii usb loader stop working on screen file are set up right to any help would be great 32 gb usb flash drive sandisk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮