Hardware Using Virtualbox to manage legacy gba flashcarts

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
OP
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
This tutorial will be about installing and configuring a flashcart to work with your Virtualbox of Windows XP on a Windows 7 x64 box.
Specifically a Elink2 flashcart to work on a VM of Windows XP.

That is this thing
IMG_150566b.jpg

First thing you will need to do is put the cart into a GBA/SP/micro and turn on the GBA/SP/micro. Connect the usb to the Elink flashcart and connect the other end to the computer.

IMG_150565b.jpg

Once you do that, The Windows 7 usb manager will spit out an error like this:
usb_detection_error.png

You can ignore this, we do not care at the moment what windows 7 says about it. Leave your stuff plugged in and don't mess with it.

You will now start up your Virtualbox into Windows XP.
vm_windows_xp_running.png

Now we need to identify the Elink2 flashcart like so. This is what mine is identified as, it should be the only Unidentified USB device in the list.
identifying_elink.png

Do not try and add the usb device to the VM yet, you will get a hardware lock error. Shut down the VM machine, but leave the VM manager window open.

Now goto the settings on the VM of Windows XP.
vm_win_xp_settings.png

Now goto the USB settings on the VM of Windows XP.
vm_win_xp_usb_settings.png

Left click on the add usb device icon (that is the one with the green plus sign) and pick the unknown device we saw earlier.
vm_win_xp_usb_add_unknown_to_list.png

vm_win_xp_usb_added_unknown_device_to_list.png

Once you added the unknown usb device to the list, save the settings by clicking on the OK button. You can now disconnect the usb from the elink flashcart. Do not turn off the GBA/SP/micro yet.

Start up the VM of Windows XP again. You will need to download the Elink2 Client installer at the bottom of the page. I download and installed the v6 fould at the bottom of the page. You can pick up the file from here. Make sure your VM of Windows XP has a guest network setup already set up. Download the file to the desktop or whatever folder in Windows XP you want. Then install the program to your VM of Windows XP. I changed the install path on mine to C:\games\ELINK instead of the Program Files folder. I did this so I know where the drivers are path to the drivers being C:\games\ELINK\ELINKDRV. You need to know this path when installing the drivers.

vm_win_xp_installed_elink_software.png

Now plug the usb cable back into the elink2 flashcart. Virtualbox should now have possession of the unknown usb device, that means you can now use the flashcart with the VM of Windows XP. If it doesn't, shutdown and exit out of Virtualbox, then you will need to kill Virtualbox and the VBoxSVC service from the task manager from Windows 7. Then start Virtualbox up again. Once you plug in the usb cable into the elink flashcart, the XP hardware plug and play installer will kick in. Install the device manually and give the path to the drivers where you installed it to. Mine happens to be C:\games\ELINK\ELINKDRV.

vm_win_xp_installing_elink_drivers.png

After you start up the Elink client program, it should look like this:
vm_win_xp_elink_program_running.png

Now turn off the GBA/SP/micro and turn it back on. Your Elink client program should now pick up and read the contents of your elink flashcart.

vm_win_xp_elink_program_link_mode.png

IMG_150567b.jpg

From here you can add/remove your games like you would on a real Windows XP box.

As for what flashcarts are supported, any pure NOR flashcart that requires drivers work can be set up to work under Virtualbox. Flashcarts like the EZ-Flash III which has an onboard NOR+NAND setup don't work under a VM, it has 2 USB ID under VM which don't install properly.

Don't bug me about "will it work with [insert a gba flashcart here] under VM" question, ESPECIALLY if you haven't already tried it and just want an answer. You will be ignored or worse.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, , Reason: fking photobucket and the 3rd party linking bullshit and the $400/yr extortion

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
how_do_i_do_that said:
As for what flashcarts are supported, any pure NOR flashcart that requires drivers work can be set up to work under Virtualbox. Flashcarts like the EZ-Flash III which has an onboard NOR+NAND setup don't work under a VM, it has 2 USB ID under VM which don't install properly.
I'd say it works just fine for me on my EZ Flash III, it may just be the fact that I'm not using Virtualbox to achieve this result. Microsoft Virtual PC may not be the best software out there, but for things like this it's more than enough and works pretty good overall.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do think I also remember positive results from back when I tried in Vmware Workstation.

how_do_i_do_that

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It varries on what VM your using.

I'm not using a bootleg copy of Virtual PC or VMWare, just whatever is available for free.

The main reason is that I use Virtualbox is that it is that it runs the same way with my linux box and mac box, so I don't have to make a new virtual disk for each box I am on.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems amazing, if it works. I will definitely give this a go for my Flash2Advance Ultra cart in the near future, which is one of the main reasons I'm still hanging onto my antique XP desktop.

Thanks so much for the guide.

how_do_i_do_that

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some flashcarts don't mix with others on the same system. In those cases you would have to make a seperate VM to use them in, otherwise you got driver priority issues.

There are flashcart drivers that don't work nicely on the same system as the F2A/U, don't remember which at the moment.

Also works with EZ-Flash II (using EZ-Flash III drivers in I/II mode)
vm_win_xp_works_with_ezflash_2.jpg

The trick was figuring out you had to add the USB IDs before you start the VM or you get errors trying to capture and use them through the usb system of Virtualbox.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get my F2AUltra working under VirtualBox. I can't seem to get it working at all. I install the drivers, as if on a real XP system, and they are recognized. Then when I try to go the the program it does not work. No USB or driver error.

I restarted the VPC and it won't even let me connect it anymore. when go to Devices it says

Failed to connect the Unkown USB device to... Console Schlupi XP.

Result Code:
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component:
HostUSBDevice
Interface:
IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee:
IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}

I did the same exact thing I did on my sister's XP and it worked on there.

I am curious as to how to get this working... been trying ALL WEEK last week since I got this damn card. I have to walk a mile to get to my sister's XP... I wish I could get this working.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: And now when I add the USB device in the manager, it won't even show up while running the VPC. I can't capture it. I am so confused. :/

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
you tried attaching the usb device after you started the virtualbox.

means you didn't add the usb device when the VM was off.

You are right! I did it in the right order and it worked! Sweet! I finally was able to test out Ruby Version after charging my F2AUltra in my SP for the past few days it it DOES have a rechargable battery! The RTC is now working, it didn't at first.

Thank you so much for all your help. You have helped me with all my GBA cart questions and I have had almost everything resolved.

Last thing is I am STILL trying to figure out the Savestate buttons... Maybe they are broken.

I am glad I can now flash carts on my Windows 7, and have a fully functional VPC XP.

disc_over

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I've registered just to help anyone with these legacy carts

Windows 7 & F2A-EZ USB cable
I had no problems by manually instaling driver but had to use an alternative F2A Writer that does not use .dll (I don't know where I've got it, few years ago)

It works! I thought it was not going to work at first, I admit...

Locate it in Devices, install a new controller, select the downloaded and unzipped folder, and finally the .INF file. It complains (as usual) non-WDM driver. Next, next, and it will be recognized! and in working state! No VirtualMachines, no XP mode.

Next time you plug in a GBA, it will change as "Flash2Advance U-linker V.10" under Device Manager.

I've verified the program, by CRC checking a ROM already installed, and it looks good.

Hope it helps.

THE LINK TO DRIVER AND PROGRAM: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PBDWIRIE

juantendo8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed the guide but I just can't seem to get this to work for my X-rom. I downloaded the X-rom 1.0 drivers from filetrip but when I direct my X-rom linker to that driver, it says that it won't work for some reason. Any advice that you could spare?

pin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I've followed the tutorial and get my flashcard t(flash2advance) to show up under Xp, but when I go the linker software and try to connect it the device becomes disabled and dissapears from the system. If I shutdown powerwriter and restart the GBA micro it reapears - grrrrr. ANy ideas anyone? Ta

pin

Trophies
XP
Country
Your probably using a usb port that doesn't supply it's own power. I use a usb hub to deal with that.

Ports on the back usually have power supplied.

No it's a laptop and connected directly. Think the card may be borked as Nintendo logo etc is distorted even

snoopdog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i know this is an old post but maybe someone is still here that can help me out i did the virtual box running everything working right but im using ezf advance 256m and i got the drivers installed but now when i try and run the ezfa_client it can't find the XceedZip.dll but its in the same path as the EZFA_Clint.exe

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No it's a laptop and connected directly. Think the card may be borked as Nintendo logo etc is distorted even
Is that one of the carts that doesn't have a menu that appears when you boot it? If it is then the Nintendo logo would be distorted if the ROM flashed onto it has an invalid header.

albertar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using virtual box right now because i don't know hot to load windows xp or get windows xp mode to work on windows 7 with windows virtual pc. I'm wondering if anyone could help me put games onto my ez flash iii. My problem is that when i plug my ez flash iii into the ez writer ii and then i plug the ez writer to my laptop via usb, it doesn't show up in either windows xp or windows 7, and yes I already added the USB on virtual box.

Although it identifies in windows xp, it asks if I would like to install it in which I say yes and then nothing really happens because it's not connected to the internet.

Is there something that I need to install in order to make my ez flash iii show up on my virtualbox so that I could use the ez manager to put games in it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...