FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Retails roms don't work. Only download play demos, nes/gbc roms (I think roms smaller than 2 MB), and homebrew without dldi.

edit: nes (guessing gbc haven't tried yet, edit: gbc works fine, pokemon crystal is 2.1 mb and sends) roms over 2 mb don't work, which is strange since the nesDS singles builds a rom that's about 3.3 MB with a 2.1 MB rom in it. How come the nesDS build you have increase the file size so much?
I've hardcoded a 2MB ROM limit for both NES and GB just for safety really, no officially released NES game goes over 2MB anyways so I didnt bother feeling out the absolute max fitting into RAM.

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That reports as 2.1 on Linux I guess. Same byte size is shown.
I guess it displays it as divided by 1000 bytes which is IMO insanely stupid and confusing as traditionally everything should be divided by 1024 bytes when it comes to PC stuff since everything comes from a multiple of 2, that though now is called "KiB" and "MiB" instead for some dumb reason which makes things just confusing and IMO even inaccurate for some people, like we can see here now.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it displays it as divided by 1000 bytes which is IMO insanely stupid and confusing as traditionally everything should be divided by 1024 bytes when it comes to PC stuff since everything comes from a multiple of 2, that though now is called "KiB" and "MiB" instead for some dumb reason which makes things just confusing and IMO even inaccurate for some people, like we can see here now.
It's really Microsoft's fault. Calling something a kilobyte when it reaches exactly 1000 bytes is accurate to the meaning of "kilo" - a thousand. Same with mega, giga, tera, and so on. But since computer storage doesn't work cleanly in human-readable base 10, and instead works in base 2 binary (as we all hopefully know) calling 1024 bytes a kibibyte actually refers to the fact that a kibi is 2 to the power of 10, which equals 1024.

So the erroneous use of "kilobyte" to refer to 1024 bytes is just something that a generation of geeks got used to, but are starting to realise is actually dead wrong. Why was it wrong for so long? Well, the kibibyte didn't exist. Computer scientists took to using kilobyte to refer to 1024 bytes because it was an approximation. Eventually, the words "kilo" and "binary" were mashed together to create kilobinarybyte, or "kibibyte" - note that storage devices typically label themselves with their kilobyte capacities, and then computers report those back in kibibyte notation. Which confuses Windows users because those kibibytes are erroneously labelled kilobytes in a stubborn legacy manner. While people like us, who remember the time before kibibytes existed might have an initial hump to get over, such a distinction is actually pretty useful. Kind of like the BIDMAS rules in mathematics.

tl;dr, the maximum official NES and GBC ROM size is 2 KiB, or "(2 to the power of 10) times 2", but Microsoft are really dumb and didn't stay up-to-date with naming standards, bringing up young geeks to not know the difference between a kilo and a kibi, and are still doing it to the eternal triggering of mathematicians to this day. But programs aimed at geeks like most Linux distros or our very own FBI report this correctly these days.

now to find a mod for windows 7 which makes it accurately report that it's showing file size in KiB and not KB so i can assuage my autistic ocd

Last edited by N7Kopper,

Natural

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who's done this with an original 3DS, how well do the games play?

I'm trying to download Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky onto my 3DS but the Wii DS ROM Sender says "ROM too big for NDS RAM!"

Last edited by Natural,

venomshoryuken64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FIX94 Could you implement the file that used to load homebrew from a slot-2 device in ds mode there was an exploit called wifime that did that. So we can load a flash me installer from slot 2. Thanks in advance.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Super Mario Bros Deluxe (wich i think is quite better) for gbc works too.
I could not disagree more with you if I tried Deluxe is bloody awful. What with its horribly zoomed in graphics wonkie controls not as good music and sound effects pointlessly added in level map that just slows down the game the fact that lost levels is missing all its bonus levels and so many more problems.

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could this also be used to send ds and gba rom's to the Wii? You know as a Rom dumper?
I did write something very similar for GBA and gc link cable already so I might look at the DS as well but it'll probably take me a bit since I have to think of quite a lot of points because of the code mass.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did write something very similar for GBA and gc link cable already so I might look at the DS as well but it'll probably take me a bit since I have to think of quite a lot of points because of the code mass.

That would be awesome if you could.

I think someone like you can do about anything you wanted to. You have made some neat stuff for Nintendo homebrew.

Those awesome Zelda save exploits for GC allowed me to easily run homebrew on my GC. So thanks for all the great stuff you have made for the scene.

About the GC gba dumper I did try it a while back and it works great.
Something I didn't try though was original gb and gbc games. Can it dump these as well?

Last edited by _47iscool,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000 Calling 1024 bytes a kB from the start was the stupid thing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, do you need a flashcart or can this be directly used over download play?

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't wood dumper do the same thing, but to PC?
Also, I've read somewhere that it didn't work on haxxstation for some reason...

I don't have the means to use wood dumper and the only useable ds at my house is a dsi and cartridge hot swapping isn't possible.

Also I'm pretty sure fix94 can make something better than wood dumper.

Last edited by _47iscool,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's possible to send the "download stations complete roms" by this way?
You can send any Nitro code that doesn't need a cartridge to run.
Sending the client executables of download games probably won't work, though. No host to connect to. The downloadable version of Combat in Advance Wars: Dual Strike is an exception, though, since it can be played single player, and has it's own network negotiation code. IIRC, it can even host.

Last edited by N7Kopper,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse