Want to learn to code

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so let's put this bluntly although I deem myself to be quite computer literate I cannot code to save my life.

I done a bit of visual basic in college, 10 years ago but apart from that I've had no experience and to be fair I can't remember anything.

Where is a good place to start that can make it somewhat fun and what language should I start with

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sololearn has a good deal of courses, completely free. Start with whatever you feel like learning.

D

Deleted User

Start with python.There is a site called udemy where you can pay for course lessons or get free basic lessons

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that can make it somewhat fun
sorry, it's not serious but a game (you asked for fun) :
Human Resource Machine

it's a game where you "program" the logic of your employee to automate tasks.
you have access to only a short list of commands (only addition and subtraction), and from that you need to create things like division, XOR, comparison, sorting strings alphabetically, etc.
the language looks more like ASM than C/C++/basic. it's using registers/add/sub/jump only.
it's short (40 levels), each with 2 challenges to create shorter code as possible.
it's fun if you like programming and logic.
steam, gog, humble bundle, iphone, android, wiiu, and Switch!

I played on switch, I miss one more level to complete it.

Maybe it can help you for your real learning course to shorten and think how to optimize your code? (or not, it's just a game)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Minox

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I started with C
C is still my favorite language after many many years
i recomand
"The C programming language Second edition (by dennis ritchie)"
you can find it if you search pdf on goodle but i don't know if i'm allowed to share it on gbatemp due to copyright

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But yeah there are many resource online
C++ is nice to begin with too but with C you really learn how computer works and learn a good programming style from the begining
Also if you know C, learning any other language is easy peasy
maybe you will need a bit more time the first time you encounter OOP but that's it

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I can send you a bunch of Java textbooks if you like.

You can try looking at Udemy for courses, they're sometimes free. It would be better to follow a proper course than a collection of disparate tutorials which will conflict with each other, confuse you, and not teach you the right way to solve problems (even better to enrol in a proper higher education course).

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't start with Java for the love of God. Well if you want to, go for it! Starting with Java was one of the major mistakes I made when I started programming on my robotics team. C++ is a good start and I've had hell of fun using it in this programming class I take at my school. I've certainly gained a deeper understanding of Java, but I am far from from proficient. That's why I'm using JavaScript for the incomimg freshmen on the team who are interested in programming.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I started with C++ and when my degree changed to be Java focused (I took a while to do it and C++ was old news by the end) I hated not being able to use pointers and pass objects by reference and stuff like that. But if you don't learn C++ to start with then you'll never miss that. And if you want a job you'll have a lot better luck being certified in Java than knowing C/C++
Edit: 170 jobs in C/C++ and 1561 jobs in Java
https://www.seek.com.au/c-cplusplus-jobs
https://www.seek.com.au/java-jobs

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol