Gaming Official Warning! Associating your identity with ROM dumps!

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm super late, but why would you ever sign your releases with an username that you actually use? Just use a different alias for your releases, bonus points if it's generic and edgy like "unforg1ven" or "BarTHolLomeW"

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who's stupid enough to release roms under their own username? Granted, I've been wanting to do that for a while, but all of my titles aren't that ridiculously rare either (big names - big titles are covered very well).

I have a collection of my cias on my computer, but they are just private dumps so I can play my own collection in peace.

There was a guy that try to rob a bank. Wrote on the back of his deposit slip(has his account number, name, address on it)

Put all the money in a bag i have a gun.
The bank teller did and the cops got meant him at his house

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Who's stupid enough to release roms under their own username? Granted, I've been wanting to do that for a while, but all of my titles aren't that ridiculously rare either (big names - big titles are covered very well).

I have a collection of my cias on my computer, but they are just private dumps so I can play my own collection in peace.
Early release!! :P

Metroid_Prime_Federation_Force_USA_3DS-ZOOGIEPHOBIA

pastaconsumer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These things

7rhaoBt.png
xZlOcoC.png
\
Yo what filter is that?

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Using your username is not the real problem @least not if you know what you're doing. Sadly most people attach a lot of personal things to their username like their real birthday, location, part of their real name etc... & they tend to use that same name on different forums, sns etc. & will tell others who they're too, & that's definetly contributes giving away your identity.

I'm amazed sometimes how easily some people give out their personal details nowdays. The internet won't forget (at least not easily). It's sad people have to be warned like this everytime & still some won't get it...

There're also already a lot of other criminals who wouldn't mind framing someone/steal your identity yet there're some people that're smart to make it easier for those people, since they think they're safe already with their basic knowledge.

For example. Last year my psn account was hacked & I'm very sure I never shared that info with anyone not even my family knows my nickname/e-mailadres I used etc., heck they probably don't even know what psn is...xD (i never share my account details) Luckily didn't have my adres etc. on it, but hell that was really a lot of stress for me dealing with those ignorant helpdesk people who didn't bother helping, but only blamed me, someone actually even denied I their servers were ever hacked etc.(yeah right..., we all know about the big hacking incident) this all eventhough there were others who had a similiar experience, but most of those people lost money & that'show they found out.

In my case my ps4 who was primary got deactivated replaced by the hackers ps4 (why my ps4 idk i barely even had any digital ps4 games) I was watching a video on back then that'swhy I knew I was hacked. I also never logged in on any other ps4 & don't know anyone near me with a ps4... They only told me to change my password & deactivate the ps4 via site yeah right I couldn't which is why I contacted them & they said they couldn't remove it either I was like wth, that's not enough since I had already changed my password together with my email before contacting them (those things 1st things I did after I found out). So I was stuck with a ps4 on my account for 6 months..., lol I'm still pissed about that terrible treatment as I wouldn't have mind it at all if that account was temporarily suspended/banned until the issue was resolved.

Instead of properly listening & give proper assist you will be seen as an idiot while you might be more knowledgeable than some working there, really it was something to cry about if you'd know how ignorant some of those people were.

I mean it really if I had my real name adres etc. on that account & I was hacked by someone who has access to that info & planned something bad like abduction I would've fell victim a long time ago... You often don't know who's the culprit in such a case.

This is why I dislike online databases that have your personal info on it, I try to give as little possible info to companies, since some don't care what happens to you in case your account is hacked/compromised & they will push everything on you despite them asking you for those details & while they're not keeping it safe. It also scares me sometimes how much some people underestimate the dangers of the internet. Those people also forget they can cause trouble/harm to family too. So people please don't forget it's not only the companies that can target you, but other people who're capable of worse too!

tldr: You can't be too careful on the internet!!! It's not only the companies, goverment that watch you..., there're enough crazy & bad people (criminals) on the internet too.

P.s Is it just me that's glad sometimes when some people were ever caught I'd say it's actually great it happened, before something worser happened to them or their family...., really some people are better off being caught for their own/family's sake! Ofcourse I don't mean to say it's great for their family to get ruined financially just because 1 rom was uploaded. Sadly sometimes the punishments for uploaders are heavier/higher than for criminals heavy crimes like murder rape etc..., it's really sad that this is possible.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to say... back in the GBA rom dumping era, Mode7 was the worst dumper, always adding hacktros to their roms, and they were never skipable, adding 30 to 40 seconds of bullshit to booting the rom.

D

Deleted-19228

So it has come to my attention that members of this site are attaching their forum usernames and internet handles on ROM dumps. This is a practice that I find extremely worrisome and as an admin here I feel a certain responsibility to warn all of the members here that this practice is extremely dangerous.

By associating yourselves with this kind of piracy you make yourselves EXTREMELY vulnerable to legal action by the developers, publishers and IP owners of the materials you are releasing. Your attempts to get fifteen minutes of internet fame and kudos may very well lead to a lifetime of hardships for you and your family.

Make no mistake about it Nintendo and other entities ARE WATCHING and if they identify a target and have the identity of someone who is costing their business hundred of thousands of dollars they will retaliate against you and claim it back in court. In fact a member of this very site who dumped a game for bragging rights years ago was sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars and had his life derailed because of it.

This is not me scaremongering or me being anti-piracy, the risk is real, it has happened before and it is definitely not worth it!

Do not say that we didn't try to warn you if the worst happens.

What case was this? The Super Mario Galaxy leak or whatever where the kid left their EXIF data in the picture?

Also, why the hell would someone do this to begin with? It's not hard to put anyone else's name in there too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"