Hacking Was anyone able to emulate retro consoles on Xbox one using Kodi?

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something that I didn't hear anyone confirm or deconfirm, but did anyone here find a plugin that allows you to play retro games on xbox one. Since I was told that this is possible using KODI on pc

if so, which plugin did you use? I tried to use the plugin that is called "Internet Rom Collection" and it goes well until it asks you to go to the emulator directory which allows me only to check the repo rather than the USB.

If so, that would be great to emulate without having to use dev mode.

D

Deleted-351540

Online repo loading works if they are configured as NFS shares. Some are working on getting repos up for Xbox, but as of now there aren't many that actually work.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to actually ask a question, how do you load a repo on kodi on xbox one, when I click on install from zip, The local folders look weird on xbox one, is there a way to load the repo online?
when its like the PC version just do this!

Go to settings file manager and press add source type EX: www.GBATemp.com/repo/18.1/XBOX1

then go to install addons install from zip then it should work

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not found a working online repo for libretro cores, or addons, and haven't been able to install them via idigo's "install zip from url" feature, I can not say for sure if it's due to the kodi build or the files though. If you have a NFS connection and can share the files locally that way that might be your best bet, I have not been able to test this method since I do not have a NFS setup, or care to set one up, but as of now it's really the only method I have found available that I haven't tried.

Last edited by TheRealNGB,

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not found a working online repo for libretro cores, or addons, and haven't been able to install them via idigo's "install zip from url" feature, I can not say for sure if it's due to the kodi build or the files though. If you have a NFS connection and can share the files locally that way that might be your best bet, I have not been able to test this method since I do not have a NFS setup, or care to set one up, but as of now it's really the only method I have found available that I haven't tried.
I was able to install the internet rom collection just fine, the only issue is how to define the emulator directory for me

Reactions: mannahayward

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't link to the github with the ported libretro cores, as I said the only way you can currently ad them through a local directory is through NFS, there is no usb support, and the standard executable/cores will not work

you would need to compile the ported cores, and add them via online repo, or nfs.

Last edited by TheRealNGB,
D

Deleted-351540

You could also use homebrew apps like Retrix to move them from USB to the internal drive, I believe. I got all of my Retrix ROMS on the internal drive using the Retrix file browser and a flash drive. How you're going to run the cores is beyond me though, because as stated, the standard cores will not work and Xbox One UWP cores haven't been developed.

Personally, I believe Kodi will not see very many updates past what we get now due to Microsoft's strict rules for putting an application in the UWP store. You might see unofficial builds make it to the store that have better support get sneaked in later, but I highly doubt we'll ever see official retroarch support in Kodi for Xbox One because Microsoft. Likewise with WAN shares, DVD/Blu Ray loading, or Python support.

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also use homebrew apps like Retrix to move them from USB to the internal drive, I believe. I got all of my Retrix ROMS on the internal drive using the Retrix file browser and a flash drive. How you're going to run the cores is beyond me though, because as stated, the standard cores will not work and Xbox One UWP cores haven't been developed.

Personally, I believe Kodi will not see very many updates past what we get now due to Microsoft's strict rules for putting an application in the UWP store. You might see unofficial builds make it to the store that have better support get sneaked in later, but I highly doubt we'll ever see official retroarch support in Kodi for Xbox One because Microsoft. Likewise with WAN shares, DVD/Blu Ray loading, or Python support.
I am not an expert when it comes to these sort of stuff, but I do not think UWP Restrictions have anything to do with adding local support of reading from a usb since other apps are doing it no problem. I do not know about python support, they already confirmed that it is not the final version

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not an expert when it comes to these sort of stuff, but I do not think UWP Restrictions have anything to do with adding local support of reading from a usb since other apps are doing it no problem. I do not know about python support, they already confirmed that it is not the final version

I would suggest getting the kodi ported cores, and installing them through NFS and trying to running them that way. You could then transfer your roms through NFS as well, or use the RCB app

BasicYeti

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as i have gotten was the emulator running but the roms will not appear even after i uploaded them via OneDrive

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As far as i have gotten was the emulator running but the roms will not appear even after i uploaded them via OneDrive

Also I've tried RetroArch also but the versions dont match I believe. Anyone else try RetroArch too?

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like too much work honestly just for the "convience" of playing emulators on retail mode when it can be easily done in Dev Mode with Native Emulation applications.

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like too much work honestly just for the "convience" of playing emulators on retail mode when it can be easily done in Dev Mode with Native Emulation applications.

That's an oxymoron isn't it, an inconvenient convenience? I feel the same way about emulation in dev mode, it seems like to much trouble when nesbox is still available in retail through the edge browser.

D

Deleted-351540

That's an oxymoron isn't it, an inconvenient convenience? I feel the same way about emulation in dev mode, it seems like to much trouble when nesbox is still available in retail through the edge browser.
Personally, I've been waiting for Kodi to hopefully get support. I recently upgraded my Xbox One to the One S and I haven't been bothered to install dev mode on the new console. Mainly because I use it for UWPStreamer (3DS) and some Fortnite. Maybe play some NHL18.

If Kodi finally matures for XB1 and I can ditch my RPi3, I'd be very happy. I have many other uses for my RPi3, but its primary right now is Kodi/RetroPie. It'd be nice to ditch RetroPie for a full fledged linux distribution.

Reactions: kingtut

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended