What do you call your parents?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
You'll certainly have the benefit of experience. I only have my friend's words to go on. They're transplants, and moved to cali when they were adults, so it could just be they have a limited experience and extrapolated a bit too much :P Let me know if I can tell them they're idiots or not lol
I lived in California my whole life. I live near LA, Long Beach, Compton.

California is mixed, there are people that do say dude. But I don't. Me personally, I don't get into slang a whole lot.

This is what Southern Californians sound like. This is not me, just a random video I found.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Parents as dude...

I guess your dad could be some dude what impregnated ur mum your mum.

Otherwise I would only expect it as an exclamation or after my (My dude, hold my beer as I show you how it's done).

On the other hand "boy" is used in some of the more rural parts I occasionally find myself in. One time I was at a car boot sale and an older guy (almost said boy myself there, maybe I should have used dude) with such an accent/dialect turned up and everybody was boy (I was, the dog was, the retired/retiring builder I was buying tools from was, said builder's grandson was) and boy was used instead of pausing between words (which tended to come very fast).

Never really considered gender lines for differing terms though. I tend to only hear it around here as a preface to a begging session (daddy, would you please buy me this), or in classic disco songs and covers thereof.

"old man/old lady"
First a song

That gets confusing.
Someone asks me how my/the old man is doing and I will know it means my dad.
Someone's old lady is usually someone's wife/girlfriend the circles I find myself in though, and the women often refer to themselves as that (I am/was so and so's old lady). Could make for some icky misunderstandings.

Might as well have another song

I did also try to find a video covering this sort of thing and why many languages have an ma/mo/mu type word for mother, it was speculated that as it is among the first repeatable/directed sounds a baby's throat can typically make that it went from there.

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's quite a complicated one for me.
My parents are both dead.

But I lived with my uncle and my aunt more recently, and they earned the nicknames "môman" and "pôpa".
First started as a jokingly manner to call them my legal parents, but it stuck since then.
That sucks man , It must have been very hard for you

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mama and Papa, German for mom and dad because that's what they are. Calling them by their first name is weird, even though I occasionally do this in jest to see their faces (I then use their full name including second and third surnames just as your mother would address you as a child when you did something wrong)

On other times I might refer to them as Oma and Opa (grandma, granddad) but only specifically when talking to my nephews when referring to them, not really addressing my parents as that (even though they might be part of the conversation when this happens.

When mentioning them in outside conversations I refer to them as Vater und Mutter (father, mother).

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At Home:
Mom: Mom
Dad: Dad

In Public:
Names and titles are not used at all.

When I'm with them:
"Hey, let's split up and I'll meet you at X location."
Phone call version: "Where are you? Okay. I'll meet you there."

In Public when I'm not with them:
Phone call "Hello. How may I help you?"

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first i wanna say i like this topic but i have always given a different values to these terms . . . ex your mom is the woman who raised you while your mother is the woman who made you (same goes for dad and father)
ok so when i was a kid my mother was mommy (then i was estranged) when i returned i felt . . . less naive in general but also found that i could not feel comfy calling my mother mommy or even mom and instead started using ma (ma is shorter than mom and as such [imo] shows less time taken to acknowledge ie less care for)
my father never was in my life (until i grew up) so he deserves no term of endearment whatsoever the best he can hope for is to have me acknowledge the fact that he is my father . . . but most of my life he has just been fiend-y ass joe. my grandma always just wanted to be called fay (her name was fathelma so i can see a reason for a nickname) i obliged but still added grandma as a pretext and for some reason all my life my uncle jawane was/is always called papa (even his own mother referred to him as such) so growing up he was "uncle papa" (i did not know his real name was jawane until i was 15) there were other nicknames given to my other aunts and uncles but most were just shortened versions of there actual names aunt pam (pamula) aunt linny (linnette) uncle wave (waverly) my cousin bell (tinkerbell) my cousin wane (jawane) my sister waah-na (joanna) even my mother kathy (kathleen . . . although i already stated i call her ma)

TGLaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go with Mom/Dad, but call my Mom "Miss <First name>" in Martial Arts class when I'm instructing her.

TGLaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
instructing her? . . . if you dont mind i ask, how old are each of you?
I'm 16 and she's 40. I'm a second degree black belt, started when I was 8. She started a bit later, she's one rank off from black belt. So yeah, I instruct the class on and off (when another black belt isn't, anyways. Usually we split into groups and teach certain groups of people/ranks at the same time).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls