Hacking What is Haxchi or CBHC? FAQs and info

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to make any mistakes, so just in case I missed read something I'm going to ask for clarification, once I install haxchi, from homebrew browser, I believe I read I can install other homebrew on system menu but to use that, I think it says I would have launch haxchi first. I basically am going to use this for emulators. A hard drive isn't necessary for this since I just want this for emulators.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Two quick easy questions for somebody experienced to answer:

1. My loaders(homebrew ones like Retroarch and Nintendont) are giving me an Error Code: 199-9999 if I run them when I start the Wii U.
Do I always have to run CBHC first and autoboot to the system menu to make them work?

2. Is it safe to re-install Coldboot CBHC/Haxchi over itself?

Cratty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I delete my nintendo account which I installed NDS game from and keep haxchi?
I don't think so, as deleting your Nintendo account should remove the game and the ticket, of which both are necessary to boot into Haxchi. If you use cold boot Haxchi, you are screwed if you delete the NDS game or move it. If you do it, the Wii U's never coming back.

1. My loaders(homebrew ones like Retroarch and Nintendont) are giving me an Error Code: 199-9999 if I run them when I start the Wii U.
Do I always have to run CBHC first and autoboot to the system menu to make them work?

1. I don't know but it's worth a try.
2. Should be. It's just overwriting its own info, probably.
How do you launch HBL after you install CBHC?
Does CBHC function similar to Haxchi to launch HBL?
Homebrew is launched by the second option, then select what homebrew you want. For the second, yes except it's during a coldboot, basically a system startup.

Hope I answered your questions satisfactorily!

Last edited by Cratty,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you launch HBL after you install CBHC?

Does CBHC function similar to Haxchi to launch HBL?

you can use the homebrew launcher channel. I believe cbhc has that ability, yes. press home when it's autobooting to select it assuming you're using autobooting.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't want to make any mistakes, so just in case I missed read something I'm going to ask for clarification, once I install haxchi, from homebrew browser, I believe I read I can install other homebrew on system menu but to use that, I think it says I would have launch haxchi first. I basically am going to use this for emulators. A hard drive isn't necessary for this since I just want this for emulators.
Yes, you understood correctly.
You need to launch Haxchi before launching any non official game/channels/homebrew/whatever.
Haxchi is patching the firmware to disable signature check, so you can then launch any installed bad-signed titles. (titles not officially signed by nintendo, or signed for another console, like pirated eShop or DLC)

As this patch is done temporarily in memory, it is disabled when you shutdown the console. you need to do it again next time you boot the console, if you need it (no need to launch haxchi for no reason)

Haxchi is also a quick way to launch the "homebrew launcher" homebrew, from where you can select any other homebrew you want to use.
haxchi is replacing the (unstable) browser exploit method to launch homebrew.

To choose whether you want to patch the system or launch the "homebrew launcher", there is a Button Combo feature. you press and keep pressed specific button when launching Haxchi to choose how it reacts.

1.1 : Nintendont is not a WiiU homebrew. it's a Wii or vWii homebrew.
unless you launch it by using the newly released method to launch vWii homebrew from Wii virtual console injected channels.
You should be more precise when reporting issue, we can't help if we don't have all the informations.
If you are using WiiVC channels, then maybe they are not correctly build. seek help in the correct official script injector thread.

1.2: you don't "have" to run CBHC first, as it's ALWAYS run first.
YOU don't run CBHC, as the console is doing it for you !
CBHC is launched AUTOMATICALLY as console's boot, specially to prevent you from having to launch it every time!

Do not launch it, it's already done.
Of course, that's only if you follow the install tutorial correctly, which I doubt you did now that you report somethings like that.
it looks like CBHC is not booting automatically and is always asking you something?
just set CBHC to autoboot to "sysmenu" and forget about it.

2.: Please, read the guide on the first post.
if you don't read guides, you'll do wrong things (again?)
This is answered many times.
I don't understand why people are asking questions about a guide before reading it, when answers are already there.
If you are not willing to read guides because you are in a haste and want to skip steps, then you'll just end with a broken system.

.... short answer : yes, just reinstall and overwrite CBHC over CBHC, OR haxchi over haxchi.
You don't need to delete first. DO NOT DO things you shouldn't by not reading guides.

DO NOT REINSTALL HAXCHI OVER CBHC !
Please, read and follow guides.

Last edited by Cyan,

Blaze Uchiha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a question. Say I already cbhc installed, and I wanted to format my SD card for whatever reason. If I back everything on up to my pc then format the SD card, then put it all back on my SD Card, is it safe or will I brick my Wii U? I assume this is fine to do because from what I understand cbhc installs to the system in the DS vc game, but I want to be sure before I do anything like this.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nothing is stored on SD card, except your own files or homebrew executable (or settings). There's no encrypted data used by the console like on 3DS.
CBHC is installed on the console's memory. as long as you don't format your console, you are safe.

Reactions: Blaze Uchiha

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
CBHC can use a file located on SD card, for example if you tell CBHC's boot menu to always autoboot the homebrew launcher or Mocha, then you'll need the homebrew launcher's or Mocha's program on your SD card or else it will not find it.
But as long as you backup your Card and restore its content after the format, then you are good.

Reactions: Blaze Uchiha

iPlayerHB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys! Just installed CBHC yesterday and realized that, despite everything working fine, haxchi icon and name are still the same! Note: I did not download the CBHC installer from pc, I did it from the homebrew launcher store.
Should i panic? Haha

Cratty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! Just installed CBHC yesterday and realized that, despite everything working fine, haxchi icon and name are still the same! Note: I did not download the CBHC installer from pc, I did it from the homebrew launcher store.
Should i panic? Haha
If it launches Haxchi fine, don't worry about it. If not, just reinstall it.

Reactions: iPlayerHB

arvtax

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a few questions, I'm on 5.5.0. I've already installed Haxchi. I have also blocked the updates through DNS.
So, now I can delete the DNS IPs, update to 5.5.2 , and then I can install CBCH... or I have to install CBCH before the system update?

Or is better to stay always on 5.5.0? I don't have a disk to update to 5.5.1...

Last edited by arvtax,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Should i panic? Haha
if you get it from appstore, it downloads only the installer.
if you get it from PC/manually, you have an additional folder with the icon and a config file (icon titles, etc.) at the root of SD that will be copied into your console at installation step.
If you want the replaced icons (or your own made icons) you can reinstall CBHC over your existing one.

Next Appstore version is planned to get additional files and folder to SD, not just the homebrew elf inside the /apps/ folder. I think it's ready, but never got released.

Last edited by Cyan,

WiiFoundLove

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Quick question: Do i have to launch sysmenu after every boot to apply sigpatches to sysNAND? Or do I need to do this only once?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you install haxchi, you need to launch haxchi each time you reboot to apply signature patch.

if you install CBHC (ColdBoot HaxChi), it's, like its name imply, autobooting haxchi for you at console boot. you don't need to do it yourself every time anymore.
Coldboot means something done "at cold" (the console didn't had the time to heat, you just power up, and it's doing it)

if you have read the first post, you probably noted that "CB HC" is an update of "HC", it's replacing haxchi with haxchi launched at boot.
you can't have both, CBHC is an updated version of manually launched haxchi.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: