Gaming What is your experience with the Wii2HDMI adapter?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It should have about the same picture quality as component but it could introduce a bit of visual lag due to the analog to digital conversion.
It also depends on what your TV handles better. Some tv's handle component better and some handle HDMI better. Technically they should look the same. But what looks better is dependent on your tv.

Reactions: Ryccardo

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess this is my only option to reduce my blur right now. I don't really care about any kind of upscaling, 480p is more than enough since, even if it upscaled to 1080p, the Wii is not optimised for that kind of resolution and it wouldn't look very good.

So basically, the quality of the display is more or less similar to component since it transfers RGB signal to the TV (albeit not in a fully converted form, therefore slightly lowering the visual quality)?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I guess this is my only option to reduce my blur right now. I don't really care about any kind of upscaling, 480p is more than enough since, even if it upscaled to 1080p, the Wii is not optimised for that kind of resolution and it wouldn't look very good.

So basically, the quality of the display is more or less similar to component since it transfers RGB signal to the TV (albeit not in a fully converted form, therefore slightly lowering the visual quality)?
Wii2HDMI advertises that it has a built in upscaler, though I don't know how good its upscaler is.
Through component, if your tv's resolution is higher than 480p then its going to upscale regardless, or else you'll get a tiny image on your screen.

If your tv has a crappy upscaler then get a good quality external upscaler for a better image. The problem is not in the type of cables you use, be it HDMI or Component.
Its how good your upscaler is, as well as how good your television's ability to handle its source input, as its in the tv's circuitry on how this is handled.
Which is dependent on how good the manufactures makes its circuitry to handle HDMI or Component.

If they make it that HDMI is handled better, than HDMI would be better. And Vice versa for Component.
Or both can be handled equally well. It depends on your tv.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: kumikochan

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Getting a Wii2HDMI converter will reduce motion blur, since it will allow you to use a progressive display instead of an interlaced display, but the image will still be 480 pixels high and thus a low resolution, and the image on a Wii2HDMI is going to be more washed out than it otherwise would be on component or even composite cables due to the signal conversion process. If you have to be using this Wii instead of the vWii on the Wii U (with native HDMI support), and if you have to be using this TV without component ports, then your only options are indeed composite cables or an HDMI converter. You can try the HDMI converter, but you shouldn't expect too much of a difference. It might look better in some ways but worse in others.

Unless someone only has an HDMI port, like with some projectors, I usually recommend sticking with the Wii's natural outputs (component or composite).

Last edited by Lacius,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Your question was kind of hard to understand so I had to re-read it.

Its in the upscaler, so its in the Wii2HDMI (if it actually does the upscaling), and how well it converts analog to digital.
And yes your tv's ability to handle this is a factor. Since your tv doesn't have component out, your probably best to stick with a wii2hdmi converter,.

You can also try scart. RGB Scart should look the same picture wise to Component and hdmi.
Its what I use on my PVM. But I am using a high quality crt, even s-video looks good on it.

Last edited by SG854,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Getting a Wii2HDMI converter will reduce motion blur, since it will allow you to use a progressive display instead of an interlaced display, but the image will still be 480 pixels high and thus a low resolution, and the image on a Wii2HDMI is going to be more washed out that it otherwise would be on component or even composite cables due to the signal conversion process. If you have to be using this Wii instead of the vWii on the Wii U (with native HDMI support), and if you have to be using this TV without component ports, then your only options are indeed composite cables or an HDMI converter. You can try the HDMI converter, but you shouldn't expect too much of a difference. It might look better in some ways but worse in others.

Unless someone only has an HDMI port, like with some projectors, I usually recommend sticking with the Wii's natural outputs (component or composite).

we are talking about video and you are expecting static picture quality?
apart from resolution, you do understand the term "bandwidth"? ever wonder why s-video was invented after composite? before other standards come into place?
why the same 480i video looks different from component and composite? Composite just don't have the bandwidth that component/HDMi (and even s-video) can offer.
unless you are talking about old games which were designed with composite video in mind but we are talking about Wii games.
granted conversion/upscaling can be crappy depending on the converter/TV but I just believe what I see with my own eyes from the crappy Wii2HDMI I have and various comparison youtube videos support that.

Last edited by tswntk,

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
One thing I forgot to mention is that, while my TV does not have component inputs, the display screen option (YPbPr) is available on the display selection screen. What's up with that? Would that be component through SCART?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One thing I forgot to mention is that, while my TV does not have component inputs, the display screen option (YPbPr) is available on the display selection screen. What's up with that? Would that be component through SCART?
Or VGA, or (as in some Samsungs) 4-pin 2,5mm jack with an adapter that should have been included :)
Tried checking in the manual?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, forgot to mention it also has a VGA port. Would component really be possible over VGA?

Hmm, seems there are some different opinions. I'll try it since I already ordered it.
Would I at least be able to use 480p? Currently I can use only up to 480i.

Honestly, I don't really care much about the graphics or upscaling in that matter, but composite is blurry as hell on my TV so I just wondered if it will help, even if a tiny bit.
I think it's worth a shot, it will probably work and should look better than Wii2HDMI.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
some gears may call them progressive scan inputs, look for RCA jacks with color other than red, white and yellow (especially blue and green), they are the component or RGB inputs, or component through SCART is also possible (but does the Wii have a cable for that?), refer to the manual to be sure. If you do have component inputs, then it is the best quality you can get from the Wii.

Component and Wii2HDMI (basically appears as component to the Wii) do support 480p

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Component and Wii2HDMI (basically appears as component to the Wii) do support 480p
Component and Wii2HDMI do both support 480p, but the Wii2HDMI will be of a lesser quality due to the conversion process, resulting in washed out colors.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
again, with your tv it does but not with mine so nope
This was true regardless of the TV and regardless of which Wii2HDMI dongle was used. Our ability to discern the difference between Wii2HDMI and component cables was hindered depending on the game. Games with bright colors like Animal Crossing: City Folk made it harder, but still possible, to tell that the Wii2HDMI dongles were washing out the colors and yielding a lesser quality than the component cables, but darker games like Metroid Prime Trilogy made it very easy to spot the difference, and we messed with variables like which dongle was used, which TV was used, and the televisions' display settings.

It could be that the difference was small enough that you didn't noticed the reduced picture quality. It could also be that you weren't doing blind tests to spot the difference.

We know from how the Wii2HDMI dongles work that the signal conversion process is unlikely to yield 100% the picture quality of a component output. I think what we're arguing about at this point is if the Wii2HDMI yields 99% picture quality, 75%, 50%, etc. Depending on the game, I'd put it somewhere with the quality of composite cables when it's at its worst. At it's best, it's a tick below component cables.

Last edited by Lacius,

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
but my LED HDTV is a few years old and does not have a component input (I was furious when I saw it didn't have one), only a composite, SCART

SOME, not all TVs that lack a component input. Can also accept component over scart.

Might be worth checking the TV manual or posting the model number.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This was true regardless of the TV and regardless of which Wii2HDMI dongle was used. Our ability to discern the difference between Wii2HDMI and component cables was hindered depending on the game. Games with bright colors like Animal Crossing: City Folk made it harder, but still possible, to tell that the Wii2HDMI dongles were washing out the colors and yielding a lesser quality than the component cables, but darker games like Metroid Prime Trilogy made it very easy to spot the difference, and we messed with variables like which dongle was used, which TV was used, and the televisions' display settings.

It could be that the difference was small enough that you didn't noticed the reduced picture quality. It could also be that you weren't doing blind tests to spot the difference.

We know from how the Wii2HDMI dongles work that the signal conversion process is unlikely to yield 100% the picture quality of a component output. I think what we're arguing about at this point is if the Wii2HDMI yields 99% picture quality, 75%, 50%, etc. Depending on the game, I'd put it somewhere with the quality of composite cables when it's at its worst. At it's best, it's a tick below component cables.
But it is still the better option compared to vwii where it is even more washed out. Atleast that's my opinion. I think vwii is worse then Wii using component or the HDMI adapter. Maybe i'm wrong but that's my experience atleast

Last edited by kumikochan,

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My TV is a cheap Telefunken T32TX182DLBP which I got as a gift like 5 years ago. I had to put my other TV in the living room.

I've put some pictures, you can check them out. I've lost the manual years ago so I dunno, but there are definitely no component inputs.
IMG_20171202_171441.jpg
IMG_20171202_171702.jpg

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

PeacefulDreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good day, people of GBATemp.

I bought my third Wii just recently. Got it pretty cheap, only 60$ for the console, three remotes, two nunchuks and the Skylanders Swap Force set.

What I want to ask is: what is your experience with the Wii2HDMI adapter? I know most of you will say that I should get a component cable, but my LED HDTV is a few years old and does not have a component input (I was furious when I saw it didn't have one), only a composite, SCART and two HDMI inputs. So component is out of the question. I already ordered a cheap Wii2HDMI on Wish a few days ago.

Now, I don't expect wonders, but will it be at least slightly better or less blurry?
Did you experience any other problems with the sound, picture etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

I ordered mine a while ago through AliExpress and I'm very pleased with it. As you may have read, most of them put out 480p although the sellers sometimes claim it's 1080p. I went from using scart to this adapter and I must admit the picture is much clearer and defined than with scart. I haven't compared it to composite, but I think for the few bucks you would have to spend to get one of these it's definitely worth the money. I particularly like these because it's easy to hook up to an HDMI switch. The headphone jack can also come in handy. Just make sure you have enough space behind your Wii if, say, you're using it in a media cabinet, as the adapter takes up quite some space on the rear.

Hope you enjoy yours! Buying a new cable is about just as expensive and these things are great

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...