Whats the best way to learn how to code?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what is the better open console, for beginner to target?
If the DSi is what motivates you then great. However most homebrew work on it has happened in the last few months and thus it has missed out on all the stuff that went on for the DS. The power boost from being on a DSi is not that great either and beyond that the DS is one of the finest 2d game machines ever made, and thousands of people have flash carts for it where basically nobody has DSi homebrew capability.

Beyond that it really would depend upon your end goal -- the thread of mine that was linked breaks it down by that for a reason. I would give a different answer to a person that employs coders or works within a coding environment and just needs to broadly understand what they are doing (I find if the higher ups at least understand the basics you get far fewer stupid requests), to someone that mainly wants to make games (we have hit a point where you can almost drag and drop for a lot of it), to someone that wants to code and does not mind if it is higher level to someone that wants to eventually code for the hardest and dirtiest systems out there. I am not so sure about the approach some take where they learn a high level language and move down and down and down, you can certainly do it but I figure there were enough people that were thrown in at the proverbial deep end for decades and we have examples of code going back decades so it is possible, and from what I have seen starting high and drilling down makes life harder for some.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I wish I had an excuse like autocorrect, but I'm afraid that my brain malfunctioned. Obviously meant works instead of words.
I wanted to make a joke about words as in computer architecture

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
VT-d is the one that lets it access PCI-e (and maybe other parts like RAM and USB devices?) directly. VT-x is for general virtualization letting virtualized software run directly on the CPU.
VT-x is suffient for good speeds in CPU-bound tasks but you won't really get a near-native experience with an emulated GPU and network adapter etc.

tbh idk what setting is exactly is used, but it said Virtualisation in the UEFI

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How long were they

DWORDS

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I mean it is not reccommended for games.
It is like running an OS in a VM and expect everything to be as fast as running one natively

I aknowledge that Android uses Java, but I don't game on Android :^)

And it seems that Firefox dropped support for Java

Also, it is worth mentioning that I hate Java
Safe to say you're coming from a biased standpoint? :-p
I started off on C/C++ but I use Java exclusively at work now. I like it better because there's a billion libraries to do almost anything I want, quickly. From recent experience, that's downloading/uploading torrents, github api, animations, database connections, and much, much more. No need to reinvent the wheel every time. When I want to include a library I only need to add a line to the Maven pom.xml and click update, I don't need to download loads of files and work out their configuration or also find the dependencies of those files or dependencies of the dependencies etc and try to find them on the Web and try to work out what the right folder is to make them work like I would have to with C++. And, if I want to know what the classes in those libraries do, I only need to read the javadocs which is an automatically generated web page that tells me what everything does. I don't need to separately download the source code and rely on people having made comments in it to understand what it does. Plus you can make very complex Web pages with JSF/Spring etc. You'll find that nearly all proper Web pages are made with Java (banks, online stores, government pages etc). With Java you can do anything - Web programming, mobile apps, desktop applications (the same code being used in all three), programming DVD players and microwaves and lots of other random machines. If you want a job programming, you'll have a way better shot if you have experience in/certifications in Java and associated technologies than any other language. you pooh-pooh it but that's only cause you haven't given it a go :)

The one thing I miss from C++ is pointers. I miss being able to put a million arguments into a function and being able to rely on it changing the arguments.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Safe to say you're coming from a biased standpoint? :-p
I started off on C/C++ but I use Java exclusively at work now. I like it better because there's a billion libraries to do almost anything I want, quickly. From recent experience, that's downloading/uploading torrents, github api, animations, database connections, and much, much more. No need to reinvent the wheel every time. When I want to include a library I only need to add a line to the Maven pom.xml and click update, I don't need to download loads of files and work out their configuration or also find the dependencies of those files or dependencies of the dependencies etc and try to find them on the Web and try to work out what the right folder is to make them work like I would have to with C++. And, if I want to know what the classes in those libraries do, I only need to read the javadocs which is an automatically generated web page that tells me what everything does. I don't need to separately download the source code and rely on people having made comments in it to understand what it does. Plus you can make very complex Web pages with JSF/Spring etc. You'll find that nearly all proper Web pages are made with Java (banks, online stores, government pages etc). With Java you can do anything - Web programming, mobile apps, desktop applications (the same code being used in all three), programming DVD players and microwaves and lots of other random machines. If you want a job programming, you'll have a way better shot if you have experience in/certifications in Java and associated technologies than any other language. you pooh-pooh it but that's only cause you haven't given it a go :)

The one thing I miss from C++ is pointers. I miss being able to put a million arguments into a function and being able to rely on it changing the arguments.

Kinda biased, but we talk our opinions and experience there, and Java just doesn't cut it for me to give it a go(why tf do I need to create a class for the program to begin, main shouldn't be an object imo)

Considering doing about anything with Java, welp, imo I don't need Java for what I do, and NDK added support for C/C++ for native C/C++ development on Android

I find C++ a bit less bad, but OOP seems like a great deal

tl;dr I am not telling you Java is not good, I just don't like it, and doesn't fit what I am doing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou