When is pirating ok? (discussion)

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I do what I want. I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone else. You're not my real dad. Now Fuck off! And take your hand off my knee.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just HAD to post this.
090720-download-a-car.jpg
1315022818052.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not one of those people that try to justify what I do. I know it's wrong and I just don't care. It saves me money, after all. Life is too short and pointless to get hung up on morality.

Reactions: opal

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
piracy is as nice as you've got spare time to play the content you've got. Otherwise it is either: A) a waste of time B) An investment

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
...how does that in any way entitle you to pirate a game? You're still getting the fruits someone's hard work for free despite not being entitled to have them. Your argument falls flat when you consider the fact that you could just buy the game and remove DRM like you would with a pirated copy.
When DRM inconveniences nobody but real customers, does nothing but encourage piracy in and of itself and when there is no other choice: you have to buy the game and the DRM as one package, it makes sense to not want to reward companies that attach said DRM to their software. It's called voting with your wallet. DRM is part of what you're purchasing and most people don't willingly buy into pointless inconvenience. Also, there's no point in trying to police people on this, technology is changing the way these types of markets work, adapt or die because piracy is not going to go away, no matter how much you want to bitch and complain, moral crusaders.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When DRM inconveniences nobody but real customers, does nothing but encourage piracy in and of itself and when there is no other choice: you have to buy the game and the DRM as one package, it makes sense to not want to reward companies that attach said DRM to their software. It's called voting with your wallet. DRM is part of what you're purchasing and most people don't willingly buy into pointless inconvenience. Also, there's no point in trying to police people on this, technology is changing the way these types of markets work, adapt or die because piracy is not going to go away, no matter how much you want to bitch and complain, moral crusaders.
I'm bitching and complaining? By no means. Am I a moral crusader? Oh, of course not! I pirate things myself. Thing is, I am aware of the fact that what I'm doing is wrong and I accept that fact instead of trying to find pitiful excuses for myself.

You can carry on and devise dozens of reasons as to why what you're doing is a necessary evil, but at the end of the day, you're using media that you're not entitled to use, and as such you commit an offense and nothing can justify that. You can deal with it and carry on with your life or you can keep lying to yourself that you're a "shining knight fighting for a noble cause in the battle againts the evils of DRM", when for all intents and purposes, DRM was introduced to combat "crusaders" like yourself.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm bitching and complaining? By no means. Am I a moral crusader? Oh, of course not! I pirate things myself. Thing is, I am aware of the fact that what I'm doing is wrong and I accept that fact instead of trying to find pitiful excuses for myself.

You can carry on and devise dozens of reasons as to why what you're doing is a necessary evil, but at the end of the day, you're using media that you're not entitled to use, and as such you commit an offense and nothing can justify that. You can deal with it and carry on with your life or you can keep lying to yourself that you're a "shining knight fighting for a noble cause in the battle againts the evils of DRM", when for all intents and purposes, DRM was introduced to combat "crusaders" like yourself.
Nobody cares. Besides the fact that I was making a general statement and wasn't singling you out (I suppose quoting you is one and the same) DRM combats who exactly? Why not take a step back and actually look. BTW I like how you automatically think I'm a pirate. :rofl2:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nobody cares. Besides the fact that I was making a general statement and wasn't singling you out (I suppose quoting you is one and the same) DRM combats who exactly? Why not take a step back and actually look. BTW I like how you automatically think I'm a pirate. :rofl2:
It was somewhat self-explainatory from the contents of your post but now that I read it again, you did mention "voting with your wallet". As for piracy not going away, of course it won't - piracy is older than computer science, people have copied and will copy media for as long as that's an option (meaning probably forever) and I don't think it's something weird - I'm merely stating that it's no noble crusade and that one has to accept who he or she is rather than make up excuses.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It was somewhat self-explainatory from the contents of your post but now that I read it again, you did mention "voting with your wallet". As for piracy not going away, of course it won't - piracy is older than computer science, people have copied and will copy media for as long as that's an option (meaning probably forever) and I don't think it's something weird - I'm merely stating that it's no noble crusade and that one has to accept who he or she is rather than make up excuses.
Modern piracy needs it's Jack Sparrow, so it can become trendy like classic piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-0319-00099?Item=9SIBFGVK1R7414&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-...