When is pirating ok? (discussion)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hell, one of the oldest game systems used cassettes for game data, so people found they could just copy them like audio ones and have a copy of the game.
Those were actually the Golden Days of "computing and gaming" in Poland - every bigger city and town had their own tiny conventions where people exchanged or copied FDD's and cassettes or modded their systems on the fly, attending those was pretty awesome and a weekly must. The trend continued through CD-based systems but began to die out with the latest two generations - now only the biggest cities have conventions like this, fortunately I live near one such city, but the meetings themselves are nowhere near their old splendor.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since discussing why piracy is immoral or why it isn't, let's all agree that those who do it aren't going to stop and that nothing can be done to prevent it from happening? It's a lost cause.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Because 48k is all you ever need...

38217003.png

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since discussing why piracy is immoral or why it isn't, let's all agree that those who do it aren't going to stop and that nothing can be done to prevent it from happening? It's a lost cause.

This is a needlessly defeatist view.

Of course something can be done about it - make the pirates a better offer. Offer a service that's both legitimate and convenient and people will be more than happy to abide by the law. Steam, Netflix, and Spotify are all great examples of this policy in action across three different mediums.

It's anything but hopeless - companies just need to approach the problem differently.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a needlessly defeatist view.

Of course something can be done about it - make the pirates a better offer. Offer a service that's both legitimate and convenient and people will be more than happy to abide by the law. Steam, Netflix, and Spotify are all great examples of this policy in action across three different mediums.

It's anything but hopeless - companies just need to approach the problem differently.

Which clearly isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Steam, Netflix, etc are good solutions, I won't deny that, but piracy is so widespread, it will take one helluva act to undo the damage. First things first, abolish or rewite the DMCA to be less ambiguous. As for companies that try to curtail it, they should, you know not make legit users suffer by implementing invasive DRM (see: all DRM is invasive) . If they think DRM/AP helps with sales....they're wrong, it only encourages legit customers to circumvent said protection so they can use the product they legally purchased. DRM is not the way of the future.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which clearly isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Steam, Netflix, etc are good solutions, I won't deny that, but piracy is so widespread, it will take one helluva act to undo the damage. First things first, abolish or rewite the DMCA to be less ambiguous.

Some aspects of IP rights and maybe some aspects of data retention aside I do not see the DMCA stopping companies from considering and implementing alternative monetisation models. Indeed many game developers and publishers are actively pursuing such models.

Reactions: Qtis and Gahars

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry for the bump, but I never did get the chance to put my input in.
Personally I am not 100% sure how I feel about piracy. What I mean is, I morally see it as wrong, why? Because you are downloading a song, software, video, ect ect, that you didn't pay for. This doesn't make it theft since you are just taking a copy, but it's still something that was taken without proper exchange of currency or trade.
But at the same time I see little to no harm downloading something like an N64 rom or songs from singers who are long dead, because often times no one is gaining or losing anything from them since they lost their value when that system/artist/ect died.

And to branch this off more, I do see hacking you system as 100% ok, as long as you are doing it for the right reasons. Like say I hacked my xbox to play my backups. I'm not distributing them, I just ripping them to my hard drive so I don't damage the disks playing them. I see nothing wrong in that, you are copying the games you paid for to the system you paid for. And if you are just running homebrews, then you are supporting small devs who normally wouldn't get any attention. But if you just do it to play backed up games you pirated, I see a problem in that.

This is just my personal take on this subject. Quite honestly it doesn't mean I will claim I never pirated a current game before because that would be a lie, I've done it countless times in the past nor am I am going to preach to those who do because it's their life not mine.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the bump, but I never did get the chance to put my input in.
Personally I am not 100% sure how I feel about piracy. What I mean is, I morally see it as wrong, why? Because you are downloading a song, software, video, ect ect, that you didn't pay for. This doesn't make it theft since you are just taking a copy, but it's still something that was taken without proper exchange of currency or trade.
But at the same time I see little to no harm downloading something like an N64 rom or songs from singers who are long dead, because often times no one is gaining or losing anything from them since they lost their value when that system/artist/ect died.

And to branch this off more, I do see hacking you system as 100% ok, as long as you are doing it for the right reasons. Like say I hacked my xbox to play my backups. I'm not distributing them, I just ripping them to my hard drive so I don't damage the disks playing them. I see nothing wrong in that, you are copying the games you paid for to the system you paid for. And if you are just running homebrews, then you are supporting small devs who normally wouldn't get any attention. But if you just do it to play backed up games you pirated, I see a problem in that.

This is just my personal take on this subject. Quite honestly it doesn't mean I will claim I never pirated a current game before because that would be a lie, I've done it countless times in the past nor am I am going to preach to those who do because it's their life not mine.

Likewise, I hacked my Wii primarily to back up all my Wii and Gamecube games because it's helluva lot easier to access them all in one place. As for legacy games, same deal, N64, most Snes, Genesis/Megadrive games are no longer being sold by the companies. In all honesty, I don't feel bad for having those on my Wii as well. Songs, movies, PC games I don't pirate because I don't trust torrents or torrent clients.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the laws of the land pirating is never ok, but since many of us live in places where many of the laws don't make sense I say go for it.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those topics that people RARELY budge on. I read some to amuse myself but have seen enough of these threads to know it is a stalemate. Seen both sides, have gone back and forth with it, etc. It is amusing to read though, very amusing.

EpicLuigi1134

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read all the posts up to 39 BUT ill answer the topic.

I think pirating is OKAY when theres a game (EarthBound, Atari Games etc) that you can't get in the stores or anything so you just download it. Unless you want to spent 200 dollars getting it, be my guest.

thexx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an interesting bit for this. I'm not saying its Good but I do it. I feel if you make a small donation to the company then there shouldn't be much of a problem. Sort of a pay what you can, or what you think its worth. Sort of like bidding, but you always win I guess?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun