Hacking Which flashcarts offer competent gba emulation?

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the first dstwo had one, i'm guessing the dstwo+ does as well?

Does it stop there? Any other carts?

What about snes/nes and other emulator options?

Thank you

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fair point. The console in waiting is a dsi xl though. Possible to hack dsi and throw emulators on it? Just off the top of my head I don't think it's possible. Hope i'm wrong.
The best solution is the DSTWO (Plus). It's MIPS processor is better than the NDS processor for GBA emulation - even in DSi mode.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The ismm (an iplayer with the DStwo kernel ported to it) does also have a GBA emulator (albeit a somewhat older version than the current DStwo offerings and thus somewhat inferior but still plenty playable for most games), as does the iplayer I think. Whether you can run one on an updated DSi, or indeed DSi without flash cart checks removed I am not sure about as I have not kept up with the DSi side of things, I know a hacked 3ds can boot blocked DS slot carts though. If you can still find one they tend to go for peanuts where DStwos tend not to.

Those two plus the dstwo family are the only "enhanced" flash carts on the market and as such the only ones that do worthwhile emulation of the GBA from the DS slot. The software only options for more conventional DS flash carts are great examples of programming but are not anything I would suggest for experiencing the DS library.

In any case I would probably still suggest something with a GBA slot and a GBA flash cart as you can still do that for not a lot. Failing that one of the DStwo family is probably the better choice.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The ismm (an iplayer with the DStwo kernel ported to it) does also have a GBA emulator (albeit a somewhat older version than the current DStwo offerings and thus somewhat inferior but still plenty playable for most games), as does the iplayer I think. Whether you can run one on an updated DSi, or indeed DSi without flash cart checks removed I am not sure about as I have not kept up with the DSi side of things, I know a hacked 3ds can boot blocked DS slot carts though. If you can still find one they tend to go for peanuts where DStwos tend not to.

Those two plus the dstwo family are the only "enhanced" flash carts on the market and as such the only ones that do worthwhile emulation of the GBA from the DS slot. The software only options for more conventional DS flash carts are great examples of programming but are not anything I would suggest for experiencing the DS library.

In any case I would probably still suggest something with a GBA slot and a GBA flash cart as you can still do that for not a lot. Failing that one of the DStwo family is probably the better choice.
Don't forget the EX4i Movie :D

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not possible to get rid of cart checks completely on DSi yet, but you can downgrade the whitelist to the earliest one, so that you can boot the csrt if it was bootable on a DSi at any point in its lifetime.

For emulating with no cart, gbarunner2 has made some good progress but I don't know how it compares to Dstwo/iplayer Gbatemp emulation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM