Hacking Which of these sd2vita looks more reliable?

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure what has been going on in the sd2vita scene since it's quite difficult to get access to them in the Philippines. They are usually overpriced too... But I've seen these 2 sold at a reliable store. I've heard that a lot of these earlier batches fail a lot though. The white one is sold for around 10 dollars and the red one for 7 dollars. Which one is more reliable? This store used to sell the sd2vita v3 (black plastic with red text) for 14 dollars... Should I hold out for that one?
Screenshot_20180113-205550.png
Screenshot_20180114-103529.png

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what has been going on in the sd2vita scene since it's quite difficult to get access to them in the Philippines. They are usually overpriced too... But I've seen these 2 sold at a reliable store. I've heard that a lot of these earlier batches fail a lot though. The white one is sold for around 10 dollars and the red one for 7 dollars. Which one is more reliable? This store used to sell the sd2vita v3 (black plastic with red text) for 14 dollars... Should I hold out for that one? View attachment 111122 View attachment 111123
The red one will last longer because its not make out of a sd card adaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
100% no question get the white plastic one. They are the best version available.

The red one is one of the earlier bare-pcb ones that does have push-pull eject but are rough and often dont fit well/dont make proper contact so cause issues
I have several of the early PCB ones, a black plastic with white text, a black plastic with red text and a white plastic unit. The white plastic is the best.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So one vote for each... 0_o I can't find any reviews of either versions so I can't decide.

The black plastic white text or the white plastic variants are recommended by pretty much everyone. There are countless threads here and on /r/vitahacks about it :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/70wwlz/vita_memory_card_adapter_sd2vitapsvsdetc_buysell

If you mean which will give you the least chance of problems, then go for white plastic.
It is the latest revision and allows the cart-cover flap on vita 2000s to close properly which the black plastic (and several of the earlier bare-pcb ones) do not.

Last edited by Count Duckula,

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get the "not an SD card adapter" argument... I'm assuming the white one is the latest version. I was looking for reviews for 'sd2vita pro' which didn't lead to much... Should have went with actual descriptions.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the "not an SD card adapter" argument... I'm assuming the white one is the latest version. I was looking for reviews for 'sd2vita pro' which didn't lead to much... Should have went with actual descriptions.
So u never used a SD to MicroSD card adaptor?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you mean last longer if you step on it repeatedly perhaps, if you want the adaptor that is least likely to cause you issues with normal usage then get the latest white plastic variant.
The white text black plastic ones have a so-so failure/issue rate. The red text black plastic less so and the white plastic have the least reported issues of all.

The bare PCB 'hybrid' adaptors have the highest reported failure/issue rate.
The first of the red 'hybrid' ones as linked by OP I received didn't work, the second had random issues likely from poor contact with the cart connector in the vita. Tested in my 1000, 2000 and pstv.

Sure some/most people will have any given variant that works, but if you read the various issue threads here and on /r/vitahacks you'll likely decide on one of the later plastic variants.

Reactions: MUDD_BR

dudephanith

Trophies
XP
Country
get the white one. It is the version 5.0 which is the latest version
And if you bought from aliexpress, it is cheaper.
I just bought one and it's only 5USD

Last edited by dudephanith,

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So u never used a SD to MicroSD card adaptor?

OH that's how the white and black plastic cased ones work? I assumed that the later versions were just the old versions but more protected by a plastic shell. And that the different colored plastic shells somehow indicated batches or new iterations...

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH that's how the white and black plastic cased ones work? I assumed that the later versions were just the old versions but more protected by a plastic shell. And that the different colored plastic shells somehow indicated batches or new iterations...
Nope they just as shit as SD to MicroSD adaptors while the v2 is all hardware so better build quality and will last way longer then some shitty adaptor made out of plastic

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does this work with all vita's? I have the white one but still can't get it to work.
Have an unmodded Vita on latest FW.

I'm guessing this is a joke? SD2vitas only work on vitas running firmware 3.60 and henkaku/enso.

Check out the thread I linked to in my second response, written by Yifan of team molecule, for a summary of the different versions.

Nope they just as shit as SD to MicroSD adaptors while the v2 is all hardware so better build quality and will last way longer then some shitty adaptor made out of plastic

In practice this is simply not true. The hybrid PCB adaptors with push-pull eject have the most issues of all. Hell I had to sand down the sides the one of mine that did work just to get it to slide in and out smoothly, it would get stuck and the spring in the vita couldnt eject it. Not good.
The very original proof of concept version by xyz (narrower at the bottom, no push-pull) seem to have less issues but you need to use tweezers to remove them so not ideal.

The plastic ones fit correctly as they are consistently the right size/shape, so are far less likely to have issues making proper contact with the cart connector and are less likely to damage that cart connector.
You clearly dont like microsd to sd adaptors (I'm still using the minisd to sd adaptor that came with my ezf-IV's minisd card many many years ago with no issues), but we're talking sd2vitas and which ones are known to give people the most issues.

A bare PCB with some grooves routed into the sides is hardly the epitome of structural integrity.

Reactions: BvanBart

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
I've ordered the v5.0 white plastic one from aliexpress but have yet to receive it. I have a Vita Slim (2000) and would like the top game cart slot to close fully.

I currently have the 3.0 red text black plastic version. Works fine, no issues, so far. I'll add to the opinion that the later versions seem like the right choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?