Homebrew Who else would like a PSP emulator for the Switch?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think PSP emulation would be the most perfect fit for the Switch!

PPSSPP likely won't be able to run graphic-intensive games such as GTA Liberty City Stories at a solid frame rate, but actual PSP hardware certainly can't either; it drops to around ~10fps or so when vehicles explode!
Sounds like a problem on your end considering I never had any problems with LC at all despite having played it from start to finish about 20 times, with the added killing/destruction sprees every few minutes of playing:P

ofc yes.
Would love some Patapon or Secret Agent Clank for Switch!
Thank you, Patapon is LOVE!:D (pata-pata-pata-patapon is still stuck in my head from the very first one, lol)

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ppsspp on switch would be great idea to have. There's a lot of amazing games on it. I think it'll great on switch.
I'll be pleased either get it by ppsspp app or as a core on retroarch.
I can't imagine to get this amazing emu on switch.

My favorite psp games:

Metal gear solid series
Silent hill origins / shattered memory
Tomb raider anniversary / legend
Crash bandicoot titans
Final fantasy 7
Ratchet and clank series
And much more.

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
That would be cool. Is the Switch and PSP aspect ratio the same though? I wouldn’t want to have black bars on it as that would be annoying
I wouldn’t use it though since I have a hacked PSP but it’d be nice for others which do not

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That would be cool. Is the Switch and PSP aspect ratio the same though? I wouldn’t want to have black bars on it as that would be annoying
I wouldn’t use it though since I have a hacked PSP but it’d be nice for others which do not
PSP is 16:9 ratio, so most likely it would get black bars when not docked unless the image is stretched (or it's letterboxed which I HATE in emulators)... Docked though on a 16:9 screen shouldn't have bars, except perhaps very thin ones.

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
PSP is 16:9 ratio, so most likely it would get black bars when not docked unless the image is stretched (or it's letterboxed which I HATE in emulators)... Docked though on a 16:9 screen shouldn't have bars, except perhaps very thin ones.
I did some math with the pixel count and it is 16:9 apext ratio on the Switch screen
I couldn’t find the dimensions of it but it seems like there’d be no black bars

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
A PSP Emulator would be perfect. Currently using PPSSPP on my Galaxy S8 and a bluetooth controller but having it running on the switch would be fantastic!

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I did some math with the pixel count and it is 16:9 apext ratio on the Switch screen
I couldn’t find the dimensions of it but it seems like there’d be no black bars
It is the same aspect ratio, but because PSP's internal resolution is smaller, stretching it from 272p to 720p would distort it because some pixels would require to be rounded up/down, so it can only go up to 680p completely undistorted and to about 700-708p without making the distortion too bad. When docked though, it can get 4 times native going from 272p to 1088p, but losing 4 pixels from top and bottom (nothing big).

rad.i.kal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it can run one! Of course given the time and work.

But I was thinking of how I wanted to play Dissidia NT on the Switch, but you know... PS4 and Arcade only. Then i thought, "Hey, Duodecim!"

So yeah! Just wondering about all your thoughts for a psp retroarchcore or something.
I like the WWE games and would love to see them on switch via PSP emu

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being able to play SO2 (undub) on my Switch would be a boon! Sure, it would still be doable with a PSX emu, since the PSP version is a port, but native widescreen is always a plus for those games that were ported to the PSP.

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By chance I just so happened to Google search "PSP emulator on switch" and got this thread. Honestly, with the development being made, this could be a thing very soon and this thread could be relevant.

Anyway I was hoping to play crisis core on my switch :P

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All abroad the necro train

I've not been able to build the PPSSPP libretro core on the Switch just yet. It might require extra porting work, for the ARM64 JIT. But IIRC the core is really outdated and it will need to be fully rewritten to be up-to-date with the standalone emulator.

Reactions: Fadi5555

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Um... Switch screen is 1280x720 (as in 720p, as in 16:9)... 16:9 is the world's most common AR....

Reactions: CaptainLoozer

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Um... Switch screen is 1280x720 (as in 720p, as in 16:9)... 16:9 is the world's most common AR....
That's not what I mean, same aspect ratio on paper would mean no black borders, but as I've said in another post, don't forget that upscaling PSP's display would result in something like 1280x708, thus the black borders. PSP's display is 480x272, hard to upscale.

Last edited by ThoD,
Reactions: Tilde88

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou