Why do people steal phones in this day and age?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 7,435
  • Replies 62
  • Likes 2

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same reasons anything gets stolen:
Either they want it, or can sell it to someone who does.

Simple.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's hilarious how much overhead these repair shops have for things like screen repair.
I know:P As someone who works in a similar field I know from experience that if you play your hands right and make people believe it actually costs that much, you will make a fortune of those suckers!

Reactions: Kioku

iMythD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamielollback.com
XP
Country
Australia
Crimes goes down with intelligence and knowledge. Mostly.
People who are stealing these phones have no idea about activations locks etc. They see something shiny, and think they can make money from it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My quesion is, why do people leave their $800 phones laying around to be stolen? If my phone isn't charging by my bed, it's in my hand, or pocket. I don't set it down for anything. Nada. Why do people pretend to live in a world without desperate thieves?
You musn't have ever been to Japan. People leave their belongings on tables to reserve spots, crime is next to non existant and your more than likely to get any misplaced belongings back.

Reactions: Lucifer666
D

Deleted-355425

OP
People who are stealing these phones have no idea about activations locks etc. They see something shiny, and think they can make money from it.

You musn't have ever been to Japan. People leave their belongings on tables to reserve spots, crime is next to non existant and your more than likely to get any misplaced belongings back.

Don’t they like hang you if you break the law over there though? Lol.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Crime actually goes UP the more intelligent and knowledgeable people are! Smarter people will still commit crimes all the time, but in a well orchestrated way that lets them avoid all repercussions. The smarter people are, the more complicated crimes become and the harder it becomes to prevent it.

You clearly haven't been to Japan either. Sure, it's very unlikely that your belongings will get stolen, but not impossible. Even here people reserve spots by leaving their belongings, but that only happens in public areas where it would be obvious if someone tried to steal something. Go somewhere where not that many people are present and everyone keeps on to their stuff all the time.

Don’t they like hang you if you break the law over there though? Lol.
Japan uses the death penalty ONLY for cases of murder, so stealing and all other stuff simply get you fines or jailtime.

Mmm.. not quite, no. Their prison system is horrendous, you basically aren't a person while you're inside. Beatings, and dehumanization. No one want's that for a quick buck.
You are confusing Japan with Korea/China. Japan's prison system is actually pretty civil, although, by law, prisoners get stripped of almost all their human rights while in jail, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily mistreated. There are many bad cases, but overall it's just like in most countries and at least they don't have to fear when picking up the soap in the shower, unlike a certain other country...

iMythD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamielollback.com
XP
Country
Australia
You clearly haven't been to Japan either. Sure, it's very unlikely that your belongings will get stolen, but not impossible. Even here people reserve spots by leaving their belongings, but that only happens in public areas where it would be obvious if someone tried to steal something. Go somewhere where not that many people are present and everyone keeps on to their stuff all the time.

You are confusing Japan with Korea/China. Japan's prison system is actually pretty civil, although, by law, prisoners get stripped of almost all their human rights while in jail, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily mistreated. There are many bad cases, but overall it's just like in most countries and at least they don't have to fear when picking up the soap in the shower, unlike a certain other country...

I have been to Japan for a Month total, multiple trips and I have seen firsthand how trusting and safe this country is. I have seen a lady get off a train and leave something behind and multiple people quickly jumped into action to make sure it got back to her. I wouldn't ever be afraid of my phone being stolen in Japan.
Also, going to prison would be an unimaginable social stigma for most people.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have been to Japan for a Month total, multiple trips and I have seen firsthand how trusting and safe this country is. I have seen a lady get off a train and leave something behind and multiple people quickly jumped into action to make sure it got back to her. I wouldn't ever be afraid of my phone being stolen in Japan.
Also, going to prison would be an unimaginable social stigma for most people.
I have been to Japan for about half a year total, 3 trips, and I can tell you that such things happen most of the time, but it doesn't mean that there aren't pickpockets or things like that. The example you gave happens here all the time too. If there are people around that aren't shady, then it's probably safe, but if it's in a place where there are only a few people and there's a shady/questionable person in there too, it's risky. As for the prison thing, it's not a stigma for most people, it's a stigma for ALL people and not even just social, as going to jail makes you much less likely to find a decent job, to get permissions from governments (eg: to go abroad even if for a visit), etc..

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About two months ago my friend was in China and her phone got stolen. The other week my friend's phone got stolen in Australia. One of my friends warned me to be careful with my phone in China or it might get stolen. I ignored this warning thinking that having a passcode on my phone makes it useless to a thief and the fact it can be tracked makes it worse than useless. I got lucky.

These days any phone worth having will use a passcode or fingerprint or facial recognition software to unlock the phone. All phones worth having can also be tracked by the user.

I've come up with two possible reasons why someone might steal a phone despite this.

-Throw away the phone and use the sim card to commit other crimes
-The user was recorded entering the passcode before the phone was stolen

Are these reasons above just bullshit I've made up or are they valid? Are there other reasons I haven't thought of?
Some people are stupid, desperate, kleptomaniacs, or a combination of the three.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sure they didn't just leave their phone somewhere and someone took it?
Like, whenever I see a phone sitting on a chair in a train, if I'm honest, I'm tempted to take it with me and keep it, instead of bringing it to the info stand on my station.

Why do people steal or take phones?
Mainly for money. Most phones can be reset by professionals I'd guess.
And some random student could be duped into buying it just like that and end up with a stolen phone and -200 bucks.

Mostly right, but why do you think thiefs steal for drugs?
Most crime still happens to finance basic needs like food and shelter

That's often how it starts, however it can quickly escalate to much darker things. Good people get hooked on drugs too (believe me I lost a friend/coworker to an overdose), certain drugs you try once and you're hooked. Not to mention, lets say you're just smoking pot occasionally (no big deal, honestly in moderation, its harmless), however if you're buying it off the street, because you live in a place where its illegal, it could easily be laced with a much harder drug such as coke, opiates or god knows what else. You smoke laced pot and now you're hooked on something far worse, it can become a slippery slope from there if the individual doesn't seek help right away and try to nip it in the bud. Addiction is a progressive disease if it isn't dealt with early on, its gets worse and worse as time goes on. Before you know it, good people start stealing to fund their habits, even from their own friends and family....

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone missed the most obvious. Anyone who steals something, is already dishonest. They don't care if they sell a locked or broken phone to someone. They make the price appealing so the transaction goes quickly and smooth. Thief is gone before the victim has any idea. Happens all the time.

Your common thief isn't taking the phone apart to sell for parts. Your common thief isn't swapping chips to bypass locks. You guys give the common thief too much credit. It's not some kind of underground cell phone theft ring.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
True, due to the stupendous health system it would be very rare for them to get an STD in such a case....... /s?

Reactions: ThoD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think everyone missed the most obvious. Anyone who steals something, is already dishonest. They don't care if they sell a locked or broken phone to someone. They make the price appealing so the transaction goes quickly and smooth. Thief is gone before the victim has any idea. Happens all the time.

Your common thief isn't taking the phone apart to sell for parts. Your common thief isn't swapping chips to bypass locks. You guys give the common thief too much credit. It's not some kind of underground cell phone theft ring.
I don't know if I can get there. A lot of security is about "keeping honest people honest".

I agree your common thief is likely not a technical wizard*, however the guy running the dodgy phone repair shop might be able to do more.
Light fingered person flogs it to them for a pittance (or indeed it + 5 others for a fairly decent return on 5 hours work), they use their skills to parts harvest or restore to working order, or indeed possibly shelve for later exploits. Proper rings are not what they used to be.

In a particularly amusing case the thief of someone I know's phone contacted them (after the one that lost it sent a message to the thing asking for it to be returned) and asked for the unlock code "to verify it was them".

*choice video for those which never saw it

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's hilarious how much overhead these repair shops have for things like screen repair.
Yep i droped my Huawei P9 and broke the glass cover that is on the back where the camera is. All my local repair shops quoted me round about 45 to 50 pounds to fix it. Instead i bought the official replacement part for 1.50 pounds and fitted it in under 2 minutes. Phone repair shops prices are beyond a joke.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep i droped my Huawei P9 and broke the glass cover that is on the back where the camera is. All my local repair shops quoted me round about 45 to 50 pounds to fix it. Instead i bought the official replacement part for 1.50 pounds and fitted it in under 2 minutes. Phone repair shops prices are beyond a joke.
I agree.

Yet I think it's a hassle that you have to get the tools to disassemble it, learn how to change the part and do it yourself, all ends up being quite simple yet a waste of time in general when you are doing it only once.

It is like you would have to install an oven, knead your bread dough and bake it because the bakeries want to sell a piece of bread for $100. Well, a piece of bread is perhaps less than $1 and it is way harder to produce than a phone part is to replace.

Phone repair shops could stop being so fucking greedy and ask for a reasonable price, not 100 times what it would cost to do it yourself, specially when it is so easy to do. IMHO.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I don't know how many of them would have known offhand what it entailed and might have just had a basic price, or the price similar to what someone's insurance excess would have cost, to do it.

I have never really dealt with such people (don't own a phone/tablet and anybody which breaks theirs usually taps me to fix it) but seeing where they operate, how they operate (try spilling some of their "secrets" online some time), and the sorts of things they stock I don't doubt many are fly by night types, your experiences there might not have been the strongest example of that though.
I am sort of reminded of old TV repair shops in some cases (some have a genuine love of electronics, many more are people which learned a fairly basic skill and are wringing it for all it is worth). Might have to look into that. Will also look forward to phones being acceptable quality at disposable prices again, indeed with the cheapness of some tablets we might almost be there already.

D

Deleted User

OP
Replace the flash chips n what not.
The mainboard likely gets send to China where they desolder the info bearing chips and solder in new ones.
Reprogram it and it gets thrown back into sales.
What exactly are these info bearing chips? Is it a chip containing the phone's IMEI number?

Reactions: Jayro

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What exactly are these info bearing chips? Is it a chip containing the phone's IMEI number?
If you are familiar with the 3DS scene, it's very much like what the NAND is. It's not an actual NAND, rather a chip containing thousands of logic gates and it keeps anything related to OS, hardware drivers, etc.. If it's encrypted, even hardmodding won't help you, so they just replace the chip entirely, reprogram it and resell the device, much simpler, mass produced chips and semi/fully-automated process so they are making quite a lot.

However, most important to ask here is, what's with the sudden half-necro? I had even forgotten this thread existed:P

D

Deleted User

OP
However, most important to ask here is, what's with the sudden half-necro? I had even forgotten this thread existed:P
A question that came to my mind shortly after learning about IMEI numbers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality