Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a gamer for the past 17 years (No I'm not 17 but you don't start gaming at 0) and when I was a kid I had a Nintendo DS. I discovered the hacking scene back in 2007 when palmOS was the shit and Symbians were the best. But also very expensive and had shitty memory card storage, like MMC and CF (not too bad, but very expensive).

My Nintendo DS only played games from developers who were lucky enough to be told "yes" by Nintendo and brave enough to print their game into cartridges. When I got a flashcard for it my mind was blown: my DS is now a media player? I can play homebrew games?? HOLY SHIT I CAN DRAW ON THIS??? I CAN READ BOOKS???

Keep in mind that yes, you could buy a cartridge with an SD slot to play music, that's it. You could also buy an average Internet browser called the Nintendo DS Browser (which had Opera inside) and each of those were for ~40 euros, and the first one was very difficult to find. There were also cartidges with a bunch of books, but they were always public domain and surprisingly only a few of them. With a flashcard you had a browser for free (but it kinda sucked), an awesome MEDIA player (Moonshell), a powerful paint program (Colors!), even an MSN app or email software. And let's not forget about games! There were a lot of them, many sucked ass but hey, it was free. Plus you tried. DS flashcards (around that time) had a micro SD slot. There was also the legit concern of many gamers who wanted all games on the go, or wanted to play emulated games. That was so awesome!

Now, in 2017, we have a shitty tablet with a shitty screen and a fairly shitty processor. My phone can do everything I've always wanted it to be, people can develop games for the console at a fairly cheap price (cheaper than the DS for sure), you can store games in the micro SD and there is probably going to be a virtual console.

My question is: why do people want homebrew so badly on this thing? You can argue about the teraflops as much as you like, but if you take the core out it's just a shitty tablet. A $50 windows tablet could do much more for a much lower price. What do you want to see in the Switch so badly? I'm honestly curious. I was feeling the same way with the 3DS until someone made a program to overclock the 3D (which IMO it's the greatest homebrew there is).

Or maybe people who say they want homebrew just want to pirate?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, most people want homebrew just to pirate. Sometimes it's to do cheating (I only do it singleplayer). Some actually might have use of homebrew but there is not denying that most people are after piracy.

If people really wanted homebrew a Android phone is plenty for all their needs.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, most people want homebrew just to pirate. Sometimes it's to do cheating (I only do it singleplayer). Some actually might have use of homebrew but there is not denying that most people are after piracy.

If people really wanted homebrew a Android phone is plenty for all their needs.
Duh, wouldn't it be because it could be cool to have emulators that actually use the switch full power? or the ability to use custom themes on your home menu? or what about overclocking the damn thing? or editing games content? There could be a lot of stuff we could do... of course if piracy is enabled people would be talking more about that than homebrew, but having the ability to do stuff that nintendont will never let us officially do is a plus.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Duh, wouldn't it be because it could be cool to have emulators that actually use the switch full power? or the ability to use custom themes on your home menu? or what about overclocking the damn thing? or editing games content? There could be a lot of stuff we could do... of course if piracy is enable people would be talking more about that than homebrew, but having the ability to do stuff that nintendont will never let us officially do is a plus.

This. Given the hardware we currently have, we have an extensive list of possible Homebrew compared to the WiiU. I'd love to see more than just downloading the newest game for free.

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duh, wouldn't it be because it could be cool to have emulators that actually use the switch full power? or the ability to use custom themes on your home menu? or what about overclocking the damn thing? or editing games content? There could be a lot of stuff we could do... of course if piracy is enable people would be talking more aboit that than homebrew, but having the abilitu to do stuff that nintendont will never let us officialy do is a plus.
But would it still be a plus if, for example, you are forced to use your console offline only and not buy games that install updates until a workaround was found? Afterall, with the paid online Nintendo seems to be increasing the security of it by a huge margin, or at least I hope so. Having to pay for online features that are the same as 3DS and Wii U seems pretty shitty to me XD

Also, if you like full power why not going full Android? Or even one of those pure Linux distros for mobile that popped up recently.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vipera,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Duh, wouldn't it be because it could be cool to have emulators that actually use the switch full power? or the ability to use custom themes on your home menu? or what about overclocking the damn thing? or editing games content? There could be a lot of stuff we could do... of course if piracy is enable people would be talking more about that than homebrew, but having the ability to do stuff that nintendont will never let us officially do is a plus.
Of course! I love all that :D But as I said, most people are after homebrew for piracy. That is hardly anything new.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Actually read through all of OP. That's just sad.. A 720p Screen on a 7 inch display is shitty? The difference is negligible between that and 1080p. The Tegra X1 is a shitty processor? As compared to what... The PS4? The Xbox One? Hm... What the hell is wrong with people...

No, a shitty $50 Windows tablet can't do more. It's a piece of garbage. Go play with Best Buy's cheap Windows tablets. They run like ass.

Last edited by Kioku,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hm. Actually read through all of OP. That's just sad.. A 720p Screen on a 7 inch display is shitty? The difference is negligible between that and 1080p. The Tegra X1 is a shitty processor? As compared to what... The PS4? The Xbox One? Hm... What the hell is wrong with people...
People want 100 games to choose from (all free of course). They want an i7 with a 1080GTX and a battery that have it's own nuclear reactor.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
People want 100 games to choose from (all free of course). They want an i7 with a 1080GTX and a battery that have it's own nuclear reactor.

That's what I'm reading... What do they expect from this at the price point we're getting? I think we have some pretty damn good specs considering what it is.
I'm excited to see what homebrew we may get out of this system.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Deleted User

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, a shitty $50 Windows tablet can't do more. It's a piece of garbage. Go play with Best Buy's cheap Windows tablets. They run like ass.
IKR? The switch pushes .8 teraflops in portable mode and 1.1 docked. For comparison, the XB1 pushes 1.4.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might be interested in getting a Switch once (if) it can run decent emulator cores. The thought of all my favourite vertically orientated arcade shooters being played on a vertically orientated screen is too scintillating for words.

My purchase will very likely hinge on the existence homebrew.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest i don't care much about piracy, i know i'm not gonna play every game, no one got time for that. I do care that some console designers really have too much restrictions on things, not being able to back up save data or transfer it for personal reasons is very bad for me and homebrew fix that problem. I don't want homebrew to be all about piracy, i like emulators and welcome it, i like useful system tools that do extend the system value, i don''t relate homebrew to piracy but that all people care about is getting something without paying for it, maybe is the fact is make them feel above law, or way to make people look dumb as to say, "thank for the free game, even though is no good."

I didn't come here to discuss piracy since others already started, but i do say that homebrew should not be considered piracy simply cause it does relate to each other with the tools made. I want homebrew to extend the value of the device by adding new features the company didn't do themself or purposely restricted.

Sheikah Impa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can say honestly, the majority of the people don't want homebrew just to test out the systems capabilities or to make cool little applications. They just mostly want it for piracy/cheating and there is usually nothing put there to really prevent it. Even if they do have something, it's always just going to be bypassed. And it's sad, cause Nintendo gets it bad.

Reactions: B.B.Link

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning