Homebrew Why do people want homebrew?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I really hope for is to eventually see a switch hombrew app that will make it appear as a capture device to a computer and send it's video output through that. That's if it's even possible to do.

StrHkr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I really hope for is to eventually see a switch hombrew app that will make it appear as a capture device to a computer and send it's video output through that. That's if it's even possible to do.

I doubt that you can make it into a recognizable capture device, but you can almost definitely write a client to receive video from the switch, letting you window capture it with OBS or whatever. If it could happen with the 3DS, it could probably happen here, especially considering the significantly more powerful video chip.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that you can make it into a recognizable capture device, but you can almost definitely write a client to receive video from the switch, letting you window capture it with OBS or whatever. If it could happen with the 3DS, it could probably happen here, especially considering the significantly more powerful video chip.
Someone could probably activate the HDMI over usb-c function via homebrew and write a program to receive the signal.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But wont the switch will receive official video capture in the future?

Reactions: DarthDub

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators... simple as that. I like the ability to import my current game collection to whatever new device I plan to use most so I have most of not all my content on a single machine. And let's face it I won't be able to play PS1 games on a switch without homebrew.

StrHkr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But wont the switch will receive official video capture in the future?

It's supposed to, but this is Nintendo that we're talking about. The content will likely be monitored in some way. At the least, it's not going to export to MP4 or something clean like that.

On the topic, though...
It's a console.
With HDMI.
Capture cards abound.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's supposed to, but this is Nintendo that we're talking about. The content will likely be monitored in some way. At the least, it's not going to export to MP4 or something clean like that.

On the topic, though...
It's a console.
With HDMI.
Capture cards abound.
I miss the good old days where you had to work for your game captures.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Someone could probably activate the HDMI over usb-c function via homebrew and write a program to receive the signal.

So, video capture over USB? Like the PSP? Or HDMI.. like it's docked?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the fancy of homebrew is just a excuse to crack that specific consols in order to create a proper iso/rom loader, so people are just want to play game for FREE, 99.9% of people have also a pc or smartphone to run their the emulators, so if someone screams '' I DONT CARE PIRACY I JUST WANT TO RUN MY NES GAMES ON MY 3DS etc...'' doesn't give u a reason to violate ur consol's system's security, cauz if u can run nes emulator, u run iso loader as well.... beside where the fffck do u get all these LEGIT NES crt/GAMES??? perhaps are u uncle Scrooge McDuck??

StrHkr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh c'mon, U KNOW EXACTLY that legit=LEGITIMATE is, so are all ur roms are LEGITIMATE which u purchased with ur daddy's hard earned money? :D

Lol yeah I finished dumping my GC games the other day, so I stuck them on my Wii U and I'm selling the Wii :yayu:
As for old carts, I have a Retron 5 and a bunch of carts I've amassed from grandparents ;)

Even have a physical N64 and PSX :)

All joking aside, most people do indeed want emulators for piracy.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss the good old days where you had to work for your game captures.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, video capture over USB? Like the PSP? Or HDMI.. like it's docked?
The switch's HDMI signal goes over USB-C to the dock. No reason we can't receive that signal on a PC with a type C to type A cable.

Reactions: DarthDub

Odven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I was a kid my parents bought me Nintendo consoles, I logged hundreds of hours on my n64, and I could get games for 14$ or less. Then my parents got me the Gamecube, that was even more fun, but then the price of games went up to about 30$. Then the Wii came about, so I got that and about 10 games, but then the Wii U came out. I had to wait five years before I could get that because now I'm on my own, and college classes cost thousands of dollars. So luckily there was homebrew on it, because no way was I going to buy all those games. I do buy amiibo when I can since they're a lot cheaper.

Now we're at the Switch, and I'm definitely going to buy it (cause all my LoZ amiibo suddenly are worth 60$ each), but there's no way I'm going to be able to dish out 60$ every time a new game comes out (Save for Breath of the Wild because that game deserves to be bought), let alone afford the online service fee. But on my 3ds, the overclocking was a godsend for playing those O3ds games without frame drops, and being able to lower the brightness below the minimum for indoors play was great for the battery life. Not sure what homebrew will be like on the Switch, but anything is better than nothing, especially overclocking and emulators (No backwards compatibility this time around).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free