Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Stercate79, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Really relevant

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    At the same time, it's hard to really know what'll happen.

3. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Finally after 5 years, someone gives me a proper welcome to this place :lol:

4. yardie

yardie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    a soft mod version of a hard mod?

lmao

5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I can't wait to program my efuses!

Kevinpuerta and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. yardie

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    i cant wait to make a software modchip

7. Memoir
    This message by Memoir has been removed from public view by Issac, Jan 9, 2018, Reason: derailing.
    Jan 9, 2018
  8. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Now you kn ow how we feel when you post hacking related content outside the hacking section :) Retroboy is a PITA too...

Pretty much. It's asinine how many people advocate anarchy or for the right of full freedom and yet expect everyone else to conform to the same moral restrictions they hold.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Jan 9, 2018
  9. yardie

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Yeah finally. Coming from the coder who don't know how to find source code on github

10. OctolingRift

OctolingRift Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    *Doesn't

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Pretty much, how is making unauthorized modifications of a console any less immoral than pirating a game? Two wrongs don't make a right.

CallmeBerto and guily6669 like this.
  12. OctolingRift

OctolingRift Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    B-BECAUSE THEY'RE LOSING MONEY1!1!11!1!!!!

13. Kallus

Kallus Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    I hope everybody realized that modchips cost money because they cost money to produce and to ship to you so you can have it. You guys just keep meshing it into something worse.

14. reminon

reminon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    I mean, I'm sure no one thought it was free.

15. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    That money is not going to the developer of the game. I'd argue that's a level of plagiarism.

16. guily6669

guily6669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    The chip it self has nothing to do with piracy...

The money it goes into the chip is the same as buying an accessory from a 3rd party manufacturer where the money will not go the the original brand, it's not different than buying a crap copy of a DS3 controller for the PS3...

And about piracy, there's way more ppl buying games and they are making bigger profits, I my self have no money so I can't pay for them, I buy like 1 or 2 cheap games per year for my PC\PS4...

And anyway I would never buy a Switch or a single game from nintendo, so I would only buy one if it gets hacked, so it means either way Nintendo won't lose any money with me as I wouldn't even buy any console from them in first place...

Last edited by guily6669, Jan 11, 2018
    reminon likes this.
  17. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:24 AM.
    Jan 11, 2018
  18. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    3rd party controllers usually have to pay a license fee to the original developer, and the original developer usually have exclusivity on that accessory for a while.

The game developer is the sole body that can legally provide you that game, and they depend on all their sales being legitimate.

19. reminon

reminon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Um...According to
    Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.,
    this is not the case. A device "Game Genie" that requires the original work "NES" to be able to perform it's function, does not create a derivative work, or constitute copyright infringement, much less plagiarism.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That's a more recent development (like 360 recent). http://brandonw.net/360bridge/doc.php

Doubtless there were some before that went that route so as to be able to put things on the box, and possibly dodge some patent or trademark (Sony's symbols and colours might well have been trademarked) issues, but fees wise it is far from a requirement historically.

21. Erxkum

Erxkum Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    Portugal
    I for one Am REALLY looking forward a patch to uncensor the text and reverse the name changes on Xenoblade 2, patches are what made me hack my WiiU, without WiiU and 3DS hacks we wouldn't have uncensor/unlocalizations(or Project zero 4) and to me that is more importante than piracy or at least it is a price I'll gladly pay, since easy system hacking means, more consoles sold and that means more games, also I won't be an hypocryte and say I don't pirate when I hack my system but I always buy games I like(I bought XBX and Tokyo Mirage Sessions even though I play the hacked/patched versions)

Last edited by Erxkum, Jan 12, 2018
    Akuseru06 and skypirate123 like this.
  22. guily6669

guily6669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm talking about cheap eBay copies of the original controller or others that have no connection with M$ or Sony... Like you can buy a cheaper wireless copy of the X360 wireless dongle for PC unbranded...

There are lots of X360\Xone, DS3 and other controller copies... Sony even went further and started blocking some controllers on the PS3...

So buying a TX chip is just the same as buying a 3rd party accessory without any connection to the brand, you pay for the chip only...

I also have CronusMax and can connect almost any controller on my PS4 and even use my G25 as if I bought a G29, it emulates it with full force feedback, it's another accessory that bypasses PS4 crap controller authentication and not related to a specific console as it does the same on PS3, Xone, X360...