Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Sodapopcan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These devs getting mad and saying that it’s because of piracy remind me of lizardsquad saying that they ddosed everyone because they wanted gamers to spend time with their families. Looks like ol light got trumped by L again.

tataniko

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why our devs fall in drama?
- if team Xecture stole from us then we thank them -
- if team Xecture did not steal from us then we thank them too -
Just let's focus on 1.0.0, 2.x & 3.0.0 - just let's focus on Homebrew & PegaSwitch.
Just let's focus on our job & our part - we don't need drama anymore but we need strong community.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reworded it. I mean people in general. My bad.

To the reworded, there's a very sour taste left over the way this was announced. So many promises, so little information. Its opportunistic and targets people's base fear of 'oh no I missed the homebrew train', making it a fairly lowbrow marketing angle. We know so little that all of this rampant speculation is just doing their marketing for them... and that's exactly what they were after.

There are other reasons why this isn't great from the community angle and what a hardmod could/does mean. And getting people to rush to dump firmware/software hacks to vulnerabilities on a top-end as generally secure as the Switch just gives Nintendo a target board at which to point a machine gun. There's potentially bad ramifications mixed in with these lofty promises for a product no one knows anything about and that the group behind can't tell us anything about for weeks. Please.

So before we declare our community members as petty or whatnot, let's just wait and see what's actually on the other side of the fence. For all you know, all that awaits on the other side of the pasture is a smoldering crater that smelled nice when you were running blind towards it.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk if it’s a the exploit is 100% developed and created by Xecuter, but iirc they caught flak for furthering development on Tiros and Gli Gli’s RGH exploit for the 360. Basically people were pissed that they took someone else’s work and made money off of it. Maybe that’s why?

Honestly I can’t say I’m surprised they were working on the Switch. The 360 had an efuse protection setup too, so it shouldn’t seem too outrageous that they looked into the Switch.

Reactions: Kioku

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't blame plutoo and co. for being upset. It is only natural. Someone else stole their thunder and made their progress inferior. But they don't really have a right to be upset. They only want public recognition. They are not doing it for the money. But look who is starting the drama instead of sending congratulations.

Team xecutor have developed their own hack that they have been quietly working on for a while. Good for them. They are doing this for a living, not a hobby. Everyone needs some way to make a living. They went in with the intent to research this on their work hours with the eventual goal of making some money. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing (as far as this bullshit goes).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
To the reworded, there's a very sour taste left over the way this was announced. So many promises, so little information. Its opportunistic and targets people's base fear of 'oh no I missed the homebrew train', making it a fairly lowbrow marketing angle. We know so little that all of this rampant speculation is just doing their marketing for them... and that's exactly what they were after.

There are other reasons why this isn't great from the community angle and what a hardmod could/does mean. And getting people to rush to dump firmware/software hacks to vulnerabilities on a top-end as generally secure as the Switch just gives Nintendo a target board at which to point a machine gun. There's potentially bad ramifications mixed in with these lofty promises for a product no one knows anything about and that the group behind can't tell us anything about for weeks. Please.

So before we declare our community members as petty or whatnot, let's just wait and see what's actually on the other side of the fence. For all you know, all that awaits on the other side of the pasture is a smoldering crater that smelled nice when you were running blind towards it.
It's a paid product. With, like you're saying, the potential to be a massive failure. I agree, it shouldn't be taken so highly. I've got some optimistic views. I sure as hell won't be quick to preorder.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My feeling on this idea of TeamX displacing egos etc is that whilst yes, it’s nice to “own” a scene and be in control of drip fed leaks, Q and co are mainly doing it for the intellectual challenge and are all for releasing stuff to us, when it’s stable and ready, in a way that enables home brew and not piracy.

If they are/were the only ones a week ago with that knowledge then strength and respect to them. They still have good intention to enable stuff for us.

I’m sure they are as curious re Team-X’s methods as much as we are but I really don’t think any ill feeling toward them is based on bruised egos and they simply worry the impact rampant piracy would have on such a great console so early into its life. Quite understandable really.

Reactions: Kioku

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally think it has something to do with that they want to sell a product which developement was likely accelerated by work they had done in their free time.

I mean they probably enjoy reverse engineering etc. but it's also very hard work, which they release freely with the thought attached that some other people create something based of it, with the same thoughts(in this case I think they strive for a homebrew scene, that's what they stated and that's the way they acted by e.g. not releasing certain exploits…). That's the way non GNU open source software works and in most cases it has wonderful results(just look on Github, how many people are volunteerly helping each other).
I already know that people call this an unrealistic hippie approach to things, but in this there are actually countless positive examples in the past. And you might say that they shouldn't have released their stuff in such a way and complain afterwards if it doesn't results in the things they intended. But they did and it already has some positive results and after all it's they may still point out when the things they set freely into the world are used in a way they don't want.
So yeah that's what I think about it. And even if Team Xecuter's exploit was completely idependently developed, the Switch and the 3ds hacking scene was up until this point pretty much the baby of a few hackers. Nobody want's his child to be taken away.

Last edited by catlover007,

Sodapopcan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you even make this out to be bad? They literally just saved everyone who was going to spend top dollar on overpriced 1.0 and 3.0 eBay switches. And I don’t blame them for using it as marketing because if I had developed a way to crack all FW of switches and see all these fear posts about not updating and it’s too late and all hope is lost even from other devs I would announce my stuff too

Developers should fight with their solutions not their twitter accounts if they want the limelight then develop an amazing software solution.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it should also be pointed out that while the hardware would be paid, support will likely be free. Jrunner and Jungleflasher were anyways.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I think it should also be pointed out that while the hardware would be paid, support will likely be free. Jrunner and Jungleflasher were anyways.

It's.. A weird situation.. I'm genuinely curious as to longevity on both sides.. Hm.

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime