Hacking Why the 3DS can't be downgraded on 11.4 "For Dummies" (A simple explanation for the rest of us)

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These were both correct! I got luma update and a new safeb9 installed right.

Doing the system update step now.

So I managed to get the transfer completely done. I'm on the final steps, but I'm a bit worried at the step of "
Do NOT use b9sTool on a device that already has arm9loaderhax installed or you will BRICK!
"

I'm not sure I should install bs9tools because I'm not sure if I have armloader installed. Is there a way to check that for sure?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I managed to get the transfer completely done. I'm on the final steps, but I'm a bit worried at the step of "
Do NOT use b9sTool on a device that already has arm9loaderhax installed or you will BRICK!
"

I'm not sure I should install bs9tools because I'm not sure if I have armloader installed. Is there a way to check that for sure?
If you follow what the guide says you'll be fine. It deliberately doesn't tell you to copy the nds file to the source system so you can't accidentally launch it (the missing file means you just get a white screen to say exploit worked, but it won't do anything).

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you follow what the guide says you'll be fine. It deliberately doesn't tell you to copy the nds file to the source system so you can't accidentally launch it (the missing file means you just get a white screen to say exploit worked, but it won't do anything).

So it's safe even though this is a system transfer from the previous 3ds that had arm9 installed?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So it's safe even though this is a system transfer from the previous 3ds that had arm9 installed?
It doesn't have any CFW yet. You have to run it to install CFW. If you run it for a second time, after you've already installed CFW, then you might have an issue.
CFW does not transfer - the transfer only moves bought games and user data (if it did, we wouldn't have to worry about using the DSiWare game to install it, you could just do a transfer and done).

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't have any CFW yet. You have to run it to install CFW. If you run it for a second time, after you've already installed CFW, then you might have an issue.
CFW does not transfer - the transfer only moves bought games and user data (if it did, we wouldn't have to worry about using the DSiWare game to install it, you could just do a transfer and done).

Got it. So this means all the software is on the 3ds and not the sd card, so it can be exchanged. Now I get it.

Thanks for all your help! It worked fine after the initial issues with the early files.

D

Deleted User

So, I has B9S installed on my O3DS and currently on 11.6. Does it means that I cannot downgrade it to 1.1.0-1U (the "Original Firmware Version" reported by Godmode9)?
I want to save a "clean start" version of my NAND.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, it is the original firmware and I did not backup as I bought it second-hand.
There's no reason to. Best case scenario you don't damage your console and now you can't play any games except the first edition of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Worst case scenario something gets screwed up and ntrboot can't fix it.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I has B9S installed on my O3DS and currently on 11.6. Does it means that I cannot downgrade it to 1.1.0-1U (the "Original Firmware Version" reported by Godmode9)?
I want to save a "clean start" version of my NAND.
Don’t. You won’t even be able to boot it with Luma - you’ll have to use ReiNAND, somehow get it to boot with sighax, and write your own patch for it to work. There’ll be nothing but trouble. I mean, it is possible (heck I tried to do it once) but not recommended.
And plus, it’ll be anything but “clean.”

Last edited by SirNapkin1334, , Reason: Cleaned up double post glitchiness
Reactions: Daniel72

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they can't buy a flashcart or a DSiWare game for seedminer (both of those things require a credit/debit card, and kids don't have that)
well...you could just take 10 bucks to the store and buy an eshop card to get the dsi game

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu