Hacking Question Why the Nintendo consoles are always the first/only consoles hacked?

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Remember the GameCube hadn’t been hacked for nearly its entire lifetime.
You're joking right? Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 inadvertently allowed an exploit to be loaded over the network. It was so bad that Sega pulled the games off the shelves and made an updated version called 1 & 2 Plus.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, all consoles/portable/mobiles/pcs are always hackable. Some are harder than others but everything is always hackable. :)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>interest of people capable of finding exploits
>Interest of people to develop or announce such things
>Interest of people to release such things
>interest of people to create homebrew
>interest of end-users to jump through the hurdles

That chain usually is a bit of a hurdle that is more likely to occur the longer a console is out. The likely-hood increases if the console is popular, difficult, has interesting exclusives, or portable, or the parent company doesn't have a history of going after people who hack their consoles. :P Various reasons, but they're probably less secure as well.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: CuriousTommy

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They're usually more popular and less secure. [...]

You've got a good point here.

Yes, Nintendo's consoles are more popular and their games don't loose their replay value so fast, unlike other consoles games that keep getting re-released as remakes and re-(add whatever you can think of here). Sure, Nintendo is also doing remakes, but considering that all their remakes are exclusives of Nintendo's consoles, they get more attention, and generate more hype than those games you can play on other consoles and even on PC.

In the security side, it might be true, that Nintendo's consoles are less secure, but also their popularity make them ideal for console tempers seeking knowledge, fame or whatever they like. When a console is popular is a great console to hack, unless those that nobody want to play, like the Japan + XBOX brand = Fail from MS.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really true at all.

Wii was a problem of heavy backwards compatibility
Wii U was hacked a month after release but nothing was done for obvious reasons
GameCube didn't have code signing at all
3DS was broken in 2012, piracy sold for a year and a half and finally came into something usable by 2015

Xbox was broken in months
Xbox 360 had free games in months, full access after one year
Xbox One, lack of interest

PS2, bootlegs after one year
PS3, came with Other OS and meant nobody cared to hack it
PSP, exploits soon after launch in 2005, no signing on initial launch
PS4, been hacked since 2015

So, not really. It's just this generation, the incentive for hacking is way less - and often times Nintendo is poor implementation, not even exploits.

Last edited by lisreal2401,

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the question.
Ps4 and XOne have years around (1 year released after Wii u) and those consoles are not hacked yet (I mean playing backups and all that things)
Wii: 2006. Hacked 2008
Ps3: 2006. Hacked 2010.

Wii U: 2012. Hacked 2015.
Ps4: 2013. Not hacked.
XOne: 2013. Not hacked.

3DS: 2011. Hacked 2013 (Gateway)
PsVita: 2012. Hacked 2016

Switch: 2017. Hacked 2018 (Team Xecuter?)

The difference is obvious. Nintendo's consoles are always the first being hacked.
And that's not all.
Hackers always find a way for hack the Nintendo consoles. You can hack any Nintendo Fw version (3ds: 11.6/last version hacked. wii: 4.3/last version hacked. wii u: 5.5.2/last version...hacked).
In Sony or MS consoles you need to be in a specific FW version.

Even Ps4 or XOne, that have more sells than Wii U aren't hacked! Wii U that may have the half of all the Ps4 sells is already hacked! That's nuts!

And that's my question.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I don't like the "let's hack Nintendo first' idea...
can you run emulators on xbox1?

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really true at all.

Wii was a problem of heavy backwards compatibility
Wii U was hacked a month after release but nothing was done for obvious reasons
GameCube didn't have code signing at all
3DS was broken in 2012, piracy sold for a year and a half and finally came into something usable by 2015

Xbox was broken in months
Xbox 360 had free games in months, full access after one year
Xbox One, lack of interest

PS2, bootlegs after one year
PS3, came with Other OS and meant nobody cared to hack it
PSP, exploits soon after launch in 2005, no signing on initial launch
PS4, been hacked since 2015

So, not really. It's just this generation, the incentive for hacking is way less - and often times Nintendo is poor implementation, not even exploits.
Xbox one is a pain
Yes

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

To answer that, let's consult former US president Barack Obama:
"Yes, we can."

And I'd advise OP to learn more about the past of hacking before posting. X1 as said before has some viable alternative to hacking, the PS4 is open since the 1.76 hacks and now more than ever with a 4.55 kexploit released and a 5.0x kexploit currently kept private.

Then there are the X360 and PSP, which weren't mentioned at all. How inconvenient for the point made would it be to find out those had been lacking good security measures and have been hacked to a point where backups were able to be played on them within a shorter timespan than the Switch...

And if OP doesn't even disclose what in their opinion is seen as a hack, I could argue that the Vita was hacked day one (though the same perspective could pretty much be applied to the Wii U then).

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Axido,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because kids want their free games and cheated pokémons.
and mariokart haxxerz

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Remember the GameCube hadn’t been hacked for nearly its entire lifetime.
actually it was you could install a wider cd drive that plays normal cd to play pirated geames

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the question.
Ps4 and XOne have years around (1 year released after Wii u) and those consoles are not hacked yet (I mean playing backups and all that things)
Wii: 2006. Hacked 2008
Ps3: 2006. Hacked 2010.

Wii U: 2012. Hacked 2015.
Ps4: 2013. Not hacked.
XOne: 2013. Not hacked.

3DS: 2011. Hacked 2013 (Gateway)
PsVita: 2012. Hacked 2016

Switch: 2017. Hacked 2018 (Team Xecuter?)

The difference is obvious. Nintendo's consoles are always the first being hacked.
And that's not all.
Hackers always find a way for hack the Nintendo consoles. You can hack any Nintendo Fw version (3ds: 11.6/last version hacked. wii: 4.3/last version hacked. wii u: 5.5.2/last version...hacked).
In Sony or MS consoles you need to be in a specific FW version.

Even Ps4 or XOne, that have more sells than Wii U aren't hacked! Wii U that may have the half of all the Ps4 sells is already hacked! That's nuts!

And that's my question.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I don't like the "let's hack Nintendo first' idea...
That’s far from always, go back a few generations. Really only switch and 3ds were quickly hacked.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
a thread from early this year nice, OP, what about the PSP? it was hacked like at launch pratically..
sony shipped japan consoles with firmware 1.0, in US they come with 1.5 to solve security exploit, which later was also easily exploited, i may be incorrect, but i believe this is what happened?

actually it was you could install a wider cd drive that plays normal cd to play pirated geames
the size of the discs has nothing to do with it, mini dvd's are easily purchased, they where also used by cameras at that time

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a thread from early this year nice, OP, what about the PSP? it was hacked like at launch pratically..
sony shipped japan consoles with firmware 1.0, in US they come with 1.5 to solve security exploit, which later was also easily exploited, i may be incorrect, but i believe this is what happened?

the size of the discs has nothing to do with it, mini dvd's are easily purchased, they where also used by cameras at that time
That's exactly what happened. I remember my brother and I both had 1.50 PSPs and the games we had wanted to play had firmware updates on them. I didn't known the PSP was already hacked so we updated. Needless to say we had to wait for downgrading in order to play homebrew and emulators. Once Dark_Alex came on to the scene Sony pretty much lost the system. Those were good times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1