Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

Venari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what it's talking about. Click "Drive 1" or "Drive 2" tab then pick the storage drive you have plugged in that you want to copy your games to. If you don't at least see your PC's internal drive on the list then something is definitely wrong.

View attachment 104615

Yes, that is indeed where I am stuck.

That dropdown menu doesn't seem to exist. See attached image.

Attachments

• wiibackupmanager78.png
    wiibackupmanager78.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 424

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made a translation for Brazilian Portuguese some time ago, but only found now when I was moving data to my new laptop.
It already has one, but it is very incomplete.

Attachments

• Portugues do Brasil.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: OuahOuah

Nimrod-002

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
i wanna preview file sizes for isos i dont have with wiitdb in app, but database tab doesnt shof file sizes even though the xml has them for every releases

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wanna preview file sizes for isos i dont have with wiitdb in app, but database tab doesnt shof file sizes even though the xml has them for every releases

It already shows the sizes, both in the Files and Drives tabs. Not all GameTDB entries have a file size and when they do they'd be for the ISO: either 4.7GB or 8.5GB.

iNeedHelp281

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what it's talking about. Click "Drive 1" or "Drive 2" tab then pick the storage drive you have plugged in that you want to copy your games to. If you don't at least see your PC's internal drive on the list then something is definitely wrong.

View attachment 104615
i seen this screen when i first added games but when in came back to add more I can no longer click inactive to choose my drive

mroshaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "Tools" menu only has one option for me: "Format drives..."

I'm looking for the option to populate the "Database" tab with info and synopsis details from GameTDB.

Any ideas?

Woops, my bad. Found what I need under the tab "Tools" not under the main "Tools"!

Last edited by mroshaw,

jon_casey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone help me please?

I am a first time user of this app and I have tried to format my 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive as FAT32 and having a WBFS folder with an ISO in, and also having the whole drive formatted as WBFS and having an ISO on it, neither is seen by the Wii in USB Loader GX.

CharlieBrownBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@jon_casey , I can't tell about the compatibility of your thumb drive, but it seems to me that this problem you're facing has very little to do with Wii Backup Manager. If you don't use the utility, but format the drive using FAT32 and just copy an ISO onto a folder in it, it should work the same - basically that's what WBM does with an ISO, but in a much nicer and organized way.

Reactions: jon_casey

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone help me please?

I am a first time user of this app and I have tried to format my 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive as FAT32 and having a WBFS folder with an ISO in, and also having the whole drive formatted as WBFS and having an ISO on it, neither is seen by the Wii in USB Loader GX.

First format the drive to FAT 32, do NOT use a WBFS formatted drive, that's not done anymore. Also, you may run into problems using a flash drive, a lot won't work or give errors. I suggest an external hard drive, even if it's a small 1TB or 2TB.

Next need to have your ISO in one directory (Drive 1) and point WBM to the WBFS folder (Drive 2). Select the game to convert and then select transfer to Drive 2. Drive 2 can be a separate drive or it can be a the WBFS sub folder on the same drive. Just choose CUSTOM and select the directories you're using.

WBM will convert your ISO file to a WBFS file. Don't mix this up with a WBFS formatted drive that's not used any more. Your new file will be in the WBFS subdirectory and named "xxx name of game xxx.wbfs". If the file is larger then the 4GB limit the program will automatically split the file into two parts for use on your FAT32 drive.

So basically WBM is meant to convert your .iso file to a .wbfs file that the Wii usb loaders can read. You're not using the iso file anymore and you can save it or delete it. I delete mine because I prefer the compact .wbfs version that takes up (in most cases) considerably less space on the hard drive.

Hope this helps, if not re-read the 1st page instructions.

jon_casey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@jon_casey , I can't tell about the compatibility of your thumb drive, but it seems to me that this problem you're facing has very little to do with Wii Backup Manager. If you don't use the utility, but format the drive using FAT32 and just copy an ISO onto a folder in it, it should work the same - basically that's what WBM does with an ISO, but in a much nicer and organized way.

Thanks for helping. what do you mean about copying an ISO into a folder on the drive? That sounds too easy.

Next need to have your ISO in one directory (Drive 1) and point WBM to the WBFS folder (Drive 2). Select the game to convert and then select transfer to Drive 2. Drive 2 can be a separate drive or it can be a the WBFS sub folder on the same drive. Just choose CUSTOM and select the directories you're using.

Thanks for the detailed response. I thought I could just open the USB drive as Drive 1, then go to the Files tab and click the game and click transfer then choose the drive? From what you're saying I'm potentially missing a few steps?

I actually do have a mechanical HDD I Can try instead of a thumb drive, but I'm not convinced i'm doing anything wrong unless I've misunderstood the "transfer" function under the file tab.,......

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for helping. what do you mean about copying an ISO into a folder on the drive? That sounds too easy.

Thanks for the detailed response. I thought I could just open the USB drive as Drive 1, then go to the Files tab and click the game and click transfer then choose the drive? From what you're saying I'm potentially missing a few steps?

I actually do have a mechanical HDD I Can try instead of a thumb drive, but I'm not convinced i'm doing anything wrong unless I've misunderstood the "transfer" function under the file tab.,......

Mount where your ISOs are as a "drive" either by putting them in /wbfs/ on your PC and use the drive's letter in Drive 1 or Drive 2 or use "Add folder" in the Files tab. Then mount your Wii's storage in either Drive 1 or Drive 2. Then select the games you want and tell it to transfer them to the Wii drive.

jon_casey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mount where your ISOs are as a "drive" either by putting them in /wbfs/ on your PC and use the drive's letter in Drive 1 or Drive 2 or use "Add folder" in the Files tab. Then mount your Wii's storage in either Drive 1 or Drive 2. Then select the games you want and tell it to transfer them to the Wii drive.

thanks. Tried that (and using a mechanical HDD) now and still no game is appearing in USBLoaderGX. I dug through the menus of USBLoaderGX and it can see both my HDD and my thumb drive in the HDD settings, I've got both USB ports to be recognised by the program but still no game is showing in the list, only the channels I have installed from before I softmodded.

Any ideas please? Are the games supposed to show up automatically and increment my total game count in USBLoaderGX ?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. Tried that (and using a mechanical HDD) now and still no game is appearing in USBLoaderGX. I dug through the menus of USBLoaderGX and it can see both my HDD and my thumb drive in the HDD settings, I've got both USB ports to be recognised by the program but still no game is showing in the list, only the channels I have installed from before I softmodded.

Any ideas please? Are the games supposed to show up automatically and increment my total game count in USBLoaderGX ?

You can't use two drives at once if that's what you're trying to do. Did you make sure the Wii games category is turned on? It's the 4th icon from the left on the top toolbar.

jon_casey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't use two drives at once if that's what you're trying to do. Did you make sure the Wii games category is turned on? It's the 4th icon from the left on the top toolbar.

no not trying 2 Wii game drives at once, just my internal laptop's hdd as a drive like you said, then the other drive being the Wii game drive.

Which app do you mean for selecting the Wii games category in? USB Loader GX or Wii Backup Manager?

Really sorry about this i am technical too but something is just throwing me off on this activity!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
he talked about USBLoaderGX option to enable/disable the display of Wii games.
maybe the display has been switched off.
That's what the loader does when you boot without USB being recognized : it disable wii games from being listed, as there's no "usb" so no "wii games". But that option is not re-enabled automatically if you connect an USB drive.

it made sense, when drives didn't have any detection issue, 2-3 years ago.
now, it's a common problem. I'll disable that "feature" and change the loader to always keep wii games enabled even is no USB is mounted.

If you want help how to setup and use WiiBackupManager, you can read my guide here :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7592791

TheRiceKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game limit question.

1. I have a 2TB HDD formatted with FAT32 32KB cluster. Is there a limit to how many GameCube games I am allowed to have in order for the games to display on USBLoader?

2. I ask because my backup games ISOs aren't showing up in USBLoader GX. (All however show in Nintendont)

3. I think is because I need to properly rename the GameCube ISOs, however I tried the tools provided at GameTDB without success. Wii Backup Manager can see and download GameCube covers but fails to rename (crashes) It also fails to transfer from one drive to the other. (crashes)

4. Can someone recommend a GameCube ISO renaming tool?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. no limit, except I suppose array size limit in 32bit ? 2GB of data size, but the Wii doesn't even have that much RAM. so, max size depends on the free memory left by the console. you can have more than 4000 games, it will just be very slow to load all of them at loader's launch.
2. your games are in wrong folder, wrong filename, or wrong format. Your loader has wrong settings, you forgot to list gamecube games.
3. that's right, probably the reason.
4. as you posted in the wrong thread for no reason, at least you could try the tool provided by this thread's developer ? http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html, no idea if it renames the isos. there is also greywold gamecube tools (same, no idea what it really does), there's also DMToolBox, use raw option, don't convert or compress the iso.

Last edited by Cyan,

TheRiceKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. no limit, except I suppose array size limit in 32bit ? 2GB of data size, but the Wii doesn't even have that much RAM. so, max size depends on the free memory left by the console. you can have more than 4000 games, it will just be very slow to load all of them at loader's launch.
2. your games are in wrong folder, wrong filename, or wrong format. Your loader has wrong settings, you forgot to list gamecube games.
3. that's right, probably the reason.
4. as you posted in the wrong thread for no reason, at least you could try the tool provided by this thread's developer ? http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html, no idea if it renames the isos. there is also greywold gamecube tools (same, no idea what it really does), there's also DMToolBox, use raw option, don't convert or compress the iso.

I didn't post here as you said "for no reason..." Wii Backup Manager also seems to handle some GameCube functionality like grabbing the covers for the games I figured I must be close to the solution. None of the tools you provided worked.

Gamecube ISO Tool 1.0.3 Build 7 does what I'm looking for however, I have to do each of the 636 ISO's one by one. When I try to open the entire folder where my GameCube ISO's are I get a the message
"File not found: D:\wbfs\sys\boot.bin"

I honestly can't believe there is no PC tools that helps to properly rename a folder full of GameCube ISO's so that it can properly work in USBLoader GX.

Last edited by TheRiceKing,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WAIT !!!!

are your gamecube games in your D:/wbfs/ folder?
WBFS are for wii games. no wonder it gives you error or the loader don't see your games.
Gamecube games go to D:/games/ folder

D:/games/<whatever you want>/game.iso

only the blue part need to be edited.
the filename NEED to be "game.iso" (NOT the game's title, but actually "G + A + M + E" letters)
any program which rename files can do that, you don't need any specific gamecube tools.
even a batch MSDos command can move and rename files and folders.

what are you trying to do ? from what to what ? which folder/filename to which folder/filename?
give an example and someone will make you a MSDos command.

Last edited by Cyan,

TheRiceKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAIT !!!!

are your gamecube games in your D:/wbfs/ folder?
WBFS are for wii games.
Gamecube games go to D:/games/ folder

D:/games/<whatever you want>/game.iso

only the blue part need to be edited.
the filename NEED to be "game.iso" (NOT the game's title, but actually "G + A + M + E" letters)
any program which rename files can do that, you don't need any specific gamecube tools.
even a batch MSDos command can move and rename files and folders.

I am aware that the GameCube ISOs need to be in "x:/games/Name of the Game/game.iso

However Wii Backup Manager refuses to see the folder that contains all the GameCube ISOs unless I let it create a WBFS folder.

I was planing to move them back to the proper folder if I succeeded in renaming the ISO's and getting them each in their own folder.

By the way Nintendont no longer requires the ISO to be in their own folder with the name game.iso unless is a two disc game.

The problem with the blue part (folder name) is that it's missing the ID Number.

Can USBLoader still see the game if the folder doesn't have the [ID number]?

Like you said I can rename all my ISO's with no problem but how do I generate each folder with the proper [ID Number] for each game without having to manually type it in one by one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1