Not open for further replies.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My Wii always gets warm when it's in standby mode. I'm wondering if it's normal or there's something wrong with my Wii?

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Im not sure as I never touch my Wii, but I doubt it :D
You can try checking the back of it where the fan is if theres a lot of accumulated dust. Or if you are a bit more skilled, open up the console and do a check.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Im not sure as I never touch my Wii, but I doubt it :D
You can try checking the back of it where the fan is if theres a lot of accumulated dust. Or if you are a bit more skilled, open up the console and do a check.
The fan is always off in standby mode, it doesn't get that warm when normally on, only a little bit warm barely noticeable when I touch it (that could be because it's still warm from being in standby mode though)

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Im not sure what you mean with standby mode. Is that when the power light is red? If so, then Id take it apart because thats really odd

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
When the power light is yellow, that means WiiConnect24 is on. Turn it off in the system settings— the Wii doesn't receive new messages or content, and may lead to hardware issues. With WiiConnect24 off, the power LED will be red instead, and the system will stay cool while in standby mode.

(Longer explanation: While WiiConnect24 is on, the system checks for stuff online, like notifications and new content. One of the processors has to remain on for this to happen, but the Wii doesn't keep the fans running. As I recall, since this processor has no way to cool down, this feature has actually led to users having hardware issues in the past. Since most of the Wii's online functionality is discontinued, so there's absolutely no point in keeping it on.)

Last edited by Dialexio,
Reactions: GreyWolf

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PowerPC isn't on when in standby mode. WiiConnect24 runs on the ARM core that's in the GPU.

That said, I agree standby is pretty much useless now unless you really want to run RiiConnect.

Reactions: Sathya

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Standby mode is useful for me because I use rechargeable batteries in my Wii Remotes and the USB ports are powered in standby mode

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Standby mode is useful for me because I use rechargeable batteries in my Wii Remotes and the USB ports are powered in standby mode

I use rechargeable batteries too, I just charge them in an adapter that plugs into the wall. You could always use a USB power plug like the ones that come with mobile phones.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I use rechargeable batteries too, I just charge them in an adapter that plugs into the wall. You could always use a USB power plug like the ones that come with mobile phones.
I already have 4 taken by all my consoles so I just rather charge it with my Wii

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay I turned it off... but how am I going to charge my Wii Remotes now? Trust me, I don't have any place for an additional charger

Edit: I forgot I have a charger that gets power directly from the Wii power supply but I'm not sure if it works I'll try it later

Last edited by IC_,

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I misread the title as "Will gets hot in standby mode" and I was very confused at who the heck Will was and what his attractiveness had to do with anything .

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My Wii always gets warm when it's in standby mode. I'm wondering if it's normal or there's something wrong with my Wii?
Disable it. WiiConnect24 doesn't work anymore anyway.
People have had permanent screen artifacts (black spots on screen) as a result of leaving the Wii in standby mode. No point in risking that when the WC24 features have been shut down for a long time now.
I have personally left WC24/standby connection on myself for years without any issues, and it seems like it's fairly uncommon for that to happen, but it does happen.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Disable it. WiiConnect24 doesn't work anymore anyway.
People have had permanent screen artifacts (black spots on screen) as a result of leaving the Wii in standby mode. No point in risking that when the WC24 features have been shut down for a long time now.
I have personally left WC24/standby connection on myself for years without any issues, and it seems like it's fairly uncommon for that to happen, but it does happen.

Well, I work on RiiConnect24 and it makes standby actually useful now. https://rc24.xyz/

The fan doesn't run on standby, so it can get hot at times. I never had any problems with it though.

Last edited by Larsenv,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1