Hardware Wii U: The Ultimate (All Generations) Nintendo Console

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
PS3 doesn't use PPC architecture, as it uses the Cell CPU. It will be really interesting to see Xbox One and PS4 homebrew in the future since it's all x86, a lot of really interesting ports and optimizations are going to happen. They're not nearly as powerful as a half decent gaming PC but we're more likely to see Dreamcast and Gamecube emulation become a thing on those consoles than any other ones (although the child inside of me secretly hopes for GCN VC on Switch).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Processing_Element

The Power Processing Unit (PPU) is a 64-bit dual threaded in-order Power Architecture microprocessorcore designed by IBM for use primarily in the game consoles PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but has also found applications in high performance computing in supercomputers such as the record setting IBM Roadrunner.
In most instances the PPU is joined by a 512 KB L2 cache to form what is called the Power Processing Element (PPE).

The PPU is used as a main CPU core in three different processor designs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Architecture
"Power Architecture" is a broad term including all products based on newer POWER, PowerPC and Cellprocessors.

http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/SDK3.0/docs/accessibility/sdkpt/cbet_2ppe_insset.html

The PowerPC Processor Element (PPE) supports two instruction sets: the PowerPC instruction set and the Vector/SIMD Multimedia Extensioninstruction set.

Although most of the coding for the Cell Broadband Engine will be in a high-level language like C or C++, an understanding of the PPE architecture and instruction sets adds considerably to a developer’s ability to produce efficient, optimized code...

Last edited by spraydom22,
Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Processing_Element

The Power Processing Unit (PPU) is a 64-bit dual threaded in-order Power Architecture microprocessorcore designed by IBM for use primarily in the game consoles PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but has also found applications in high performance computing in supercomputers such as the record setting IBM Roadrunner.
In most instances the PPU is joined by a 512 KB L2 cache to form what is called the Power Processing Element (PPE).

The PPU is used as a main CPU core in three different processor designs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Architecture
"Power Architecture" is a broad term including all products based on newer POWER, PowerPC and Cellprocessors.

http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/SDK3.0/docs/accessibility/sdkpt/cbet_2ppe_insset.html

The PowerPC Processor Element (PPE) supports two instruction sets: the PowerPC instruction set and the Vector/SIMD Multimedia Extensioninstruction set.

Although most of the coding for the Cell Broadband Engine will be in a high-level language like C or C++, an understanding of the PPE architecture and instruction sets adds considerably to a developer’s ability to produce efficient, optimized code...
Thanks for the info, I thought the Cell Architecture was built from the ground up, but I guess not. So if I understand properly, there's 4 main CPU achitectures used; x86, x64, PPC, and ARM?

D

Deleted User

this is the reason why wii u is my favorite home console of all time. i can play any main nintendo title on it (except 3ds games and switch games obliviously). and i can also hack it easily.

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Thanks for the info, I thought the Cell Architecture was built from the ground up, but I guess not. So if I understand properly, there's 4 main CPU achitectures used; x86, x64, PPC, and ARM?

Used in modern consoles yes mainly, but there are older ones. x64 is the 64 bit extension of 32-bit x86. The PS2/PS1/PSP used MIPS, the N64's NEC was based on MIPS. Older 8/16 bits are based on Motorola 68000s, Z80s etc.

The cell is a hybrid--it's main PPU used PPC code, but the SPUs are proprietary, but as far as any homebrew/emulation code is concerned it may as well be considered PPC since last I checked there is no one writing special code for homebrew to take advantage of the SPUs and it's not an easy feat.

Sony's PS2 software emulator on non-bc systems uses all available SPUs and it only has about 60-70% compatibility.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this is the reason why wii u is my favorite home console of all time. i can play any main nintendo title on it (except 3ds games and switch games obliviously). and i can also hack it easily.

A lot of NDS and N64 don't run on it well, if at all.

Reactions: Vorde

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cell is a hybrid--it's main PPU used PPC code, but the SPUs are proprietary, but as far as any homebrew/emulation code is concerned it may as well be considered PPC since last I checked there is no one writing special code for homebrew to take advantage of the SPUs and it's not an easy feat.
I guess that is all that can be said about it since last time i heard from a developer he said the cell couldn't even beat a wii when running a n64 emulator.

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I guess that is all that can be said about it since last time i heard from a developer he said the cell couldn't even beat a wii when running a n64 emulator.

Nothing beats a PC (especially with a CPU with fast single threaded IPC)--(unless you count Microsoft's XBone's XB 360 and Original Xbox tuned emulation)-- insofar as software based emulation is concerned. Even PS3 (RPCS3) and Xbox360 (Xenia) emulation is coming along. CEMU is quite good now, and Citra (3ds) is coming along. Dolphin is excellent, PCSX2 is very good.

(I'm not counting hardware based partial emulation like WII U's WII/GC compatibility, NDS/GBA on 3DS, nor other consoles like PS3's bc support for PS2/PS1 when hardware based either)

Willsito_GG

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello Gamecaptor,

I have to say that I agree and share your idea of the Wii U being the Ultimate Console :D

I have been doing the same as you have done with your wonderful setup, and I have just a couple of questions (+1) regarding the following:

1. How do you manage your external hard drives? I mean, do you have 2 HD, one for vWii and GC, and one for the WiiU stuff?
2. For the Emulation below (including) N64, do you play the games with the black bars (4:3), or have you somehow managed to emulate them in 16:9?
3. Did you find a way to increase the resolution, for example to 1080, for the games below Wii U? (This is a stuff that I miss a lot, because I have been playing a lot to N64 and GC games in 1080 resolution in my PC, and now I miss it as hell when I play them on the Wii U).

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

Eipok

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @eipok

1. Currently I have two hard drive and an SD Card. Wii U Hard Drive, Wii/GC Hard Drive and SD card is where all my emu ROMs live. At the moment I am switching hard drives back and fourth as needed but you can run them together if you hide the Wii/GC drive (look for UStealth).
2. I play them with black bars, it doesn't bother me any.
3. No way to upscale on Wii U. PC emulators will spoil you for that, but I like the simplicity of "plug and play" with emulators on my Wii U so it's a trade off.

Cheers.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 games can be scaled to 1080p with nintendo's emulator, just configure it on the ini.
There are codes for making them widescreen but i haven't tested them and i doubt that would remove the black borders.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A lot of NDS and N64 don't run on it well, if at all.

On the N64 end, there is vWii's Wii64 (Rice, Glide, and FIX's builds), those reach to 60 fps with all compatible games (which imo has a pretty decent compatibility) using cafe2wii patches to unlock WiiU's clockspeeds on vWii, and as a bonus you can play these off the gamepad.

Reactions: Willsito_GG

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Last edited by Billy Acuña,

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I'm trying to find a solution (containing controllers I can still obtain in 2018) that can fulfill the following need.

I would like to be able to play 4 player on the Wii U with the minimal amount of different controllers (or if possible, the original controllers for each system)
However, this includes, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U.

I have a few scenarios I am okay with but i understand some of them will be hard to obtain due to not being able to go to any store and get the controllers I need easily and some may not be compatible.

1)
  • 2 original NES controllers with adapters to work with NES games on the Wii U. (if possible compatibility with 4 to 8 NES controllers+adapters for games like bomberman, but not that important)
  • 2 original SNES controllers with adapters to work with SNES games on the Wii U.
  • 4 original N64 controllers with adapters to work with N64 games on the Wii U.
  • 4 original GameCube controllers with adapters to work with GameCube Games on the Wii U. (I already have this *theoretically* working VIA 4 original controllers+wii u smash bros adapter+nintendont) *Untested at the moment*
  • 4 original Wii U Motion Plus Remotes + 4 original nunchucks for Wii Games on the Wii U. (I already have this)
  • 4 original Wii U Motion Plus Remotes + 4 original nunchucks + Wii U Gamepad for Wii U Games on the Wii U. (I already have this).
2)
  • purchase a minimum of 4 official identical controllers that is capable of working for all the above systems in multiplayer mode (Wii U Pro controller cant work since that doesnt work on VWii..unless it does work?). im hoping something like the Wii U pro controller x4 and it covers all my bases, or even the Wii Classic Controller Pro (this would be very ideal, i know it will be hard to get them, but knowing that this works for every console scenario above will be good to keep in mind. (please note, gamecube, wii and wii u i pretty much have 4 player already under control already).
3)
  • purchase 4 SN30Pro 8bitdo controllers (have two already) and have it cover all of the relevant scenarios above. only problem is out of the box, i dont think this controller is compatible with the Wii U

Hopefully someone will be able to help me achieve the scenario i am trying to setup.

Thank you in advanced.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
N64 games can be scaled to 1080p with nintendo's emulator, just configure it on the ini.
There are codes for making them widescreen but i haven't tested them and i doubt that would remove the black borders.

Does such option exist?
I cannot see it on the ini. I mean, for 1080p scaling.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, they all should be running in 1440x1080 unless they have bForce720p set to 1 (960x720).
The Widescreen hacks do not get rid of the black borders, they simply narrow down the image as if you were playing a 16:9 game squeezed into 4:3.
I believe Banjo Kazooie injected is one of the games which does this.
Is there still no way to remove those damn borders?
I could live with the awful gamma correction, but those borders annoy me a lot.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Widescreen hacks do not get rid of the black borders, they simply narrow down the image as if you were playing a 16:9 game squeezed into 4:3.

Most of the aspect ratio borders are horrendous, Paper Mario comes to mind; looks like a bloody shoe box with 60% of the screen in borders. It's bad enough Rare games use that damn linear audio interpolation. The real N64 use Gaussian, why should this?

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: RockyDuran

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Most of the aspect ratio borders are horrendous, Paper Mario comes to mind; looks like a bloody shoe box with 60% of the screen in borders. It's bad enough Rare games use that damn linear audio interpolation. The real N64 use Gaussian, why should this?
Nintendo and its 4:3 fetish, man.
Why can't we just have a nice "Full-screen" option and that's it? XD

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test CanvasWidth along with the hacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/videos-not-working-on-certain-sites-w-ms-edge-browser.645937/