Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

Tackskull

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guys, I have my wii u modded using a 4gb sd card, but I choose to buy a 64gb mini sd card (with adaptor) for having larger space. The issue is that I get all the file from the 4gb sd to the 64gb sd but when inserted on the wiiu is like it doesn't reconize the file inside. In fact haxchi doesn't start and the homebrew channel on the vWII doesn't see the applications. What can I do?

Tackskull

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Another question, if I have a game file "loadine ready" can I install it with wup installer on the internal memory? Or need I a specific kind of game file format? And if for example I install a game in the internal storage/usb can I use the online play?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I have my wii u modded using a 4gb sd card, but I choose to buy a 64gb mini sd card (with adaptor) for having larger space. The issue is that I get all the file from the 4gb sd to the 64gb sd but when inserted on the wiiu is like it doesn't reconize the file inside. In fact haxchi doesn't start and the homebrew channel on the vWII doesn't see the applications. What can I do?
Your 64GB card is probably formatted with exfat instead of FAT32. Reformat the card.

Another question, if I have a game file "loadine ready" can I install it with wup installer on the internal memory? Or need I a specific kind of game file format? And if for example I install a game in the internal storage/usb can I use the online play?
Please read the first post. No, you can't use Loadiine-ready files. Yes, you can play online.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please read the first post. No, you can't use Loadiine-ready files. Yes, you can play online.

If you can't use Loadiine-ready files (which is a shame because I have a large collection, and don't want to have to require another one) what kind of files can you use?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't use Loadiine-ready files (which is a shame because I have a large collection, and don't want to have to require another one) what kind of files can you use?
Use the encrypted package files that you've extracted from your discs using Disc2App or downloaded from Nintendo's servers using FunkiiU, JNUSTool or WiiU USB Helper. You might see that format referred to as Wii U Package, WUP/WUPInstaller format, or *.app/*.h3/title.* files.

zebrone

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
each game has its unique WUD key.
usually the key is provided if you got the game from the net.

if you dump the game yourself, the key should be saved at the same time.

Can you help me with the gcube iso trasformation in installable app?
I seek all the guide on usb helper. I install a cube game on wiiU usb hard disk, but when i run it, it appears Nintendont loader but no games to run.!!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

WUD2App (wudump thread) or JWUDTool will extract the app/h3/title.* files from a WUD, if you have the correct WUD key for that game. Once you've extracted those files, you put them on the SD and install.

Wich tool is needed to transform a loadiine structured game into an installable .app game?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
sorry, nothing you said make sense. you probably mixed many things together.
I think you didn't understand enough how the console is working, and you'll need a little help.

First, about the keys.
You asked how to decypt WUD files, and doing that you need keys.
WUD is the format of a FULL disc copy, 24GB binary file (like the .iso format for CD or DVD).
the WUD file's content is encrypted, and to get its content you need the key to decrypt it to your computer.

The WiiU does NOT use WUD file at all, does NOT need the key (because does NOT interact with WUD files at all, ever).
coldboot has nothing to do with needing or not needing keys.
the keys are needed on the extract/install step, not on the play/launch/boot step.

To get the game's data, you different choices:
1) extract the WUD to get the game files in "installable format" (.app files, imagine it as a passworded .rar or .zip file), like if it was downloaded from nintendo's network (eShop).
this is what you put on your SD card, and install the game with a program, which will unpack the .app files to your console in "file and folder" format.

2) extract the WUD to get the game files in "file and folder" format, like if it was "already installed to your console". You need both WUD keys and game keys.
getting the "file and folders" final format is not useful if you want to install the game to the console. It's used only by Loadiine (a game loader homebrew, old and deprecated, slow, not 100% working, no online possible).
Don't do that method.

1) and 2) are only in the case you dump or download the FULL WUD file format. but, don't get the full WUD at all ! unnecessary long, bandwidth wasting, space wasting, time wasting.

3) Dump your disc to .app format.
this is very easy. Launch the "disc to app" homebrew, it will extract the disc's game content to .app installable format.
if the game is 200MB, you'll get only 200MB on your SD card, not a full 24GB WUD file!
Being in .app format, you only need to use the package installer (WUPInstall) homebrew program to put the game into your console. (no keys involved !)
The "game key" is extracted from the disc itself. you don't need anything else than the disc.

4) get the game from WiiU Eshop Helper (not UWizard, which is old and not user friendly and not doing what you expect) or anything else doing the same thing (JNUStool, but not user friendly either), in .app format.
It's doing the same than 3), but it's taken from Nintendo's servers instead of your own disc.
You'll need some game keys (not WUD keys!) to generate a "ticket file".
the ticket contains the game key to decrypt the .app (it's the .app password) to extract the content in "file and folder" format to your WiiU.

5) About the DLC.
you ask if they go to HDD or SD. I don't know if you mix the devices.
the SD is used as intermediate device.
game data or DLC or game update in .app installable package format -> copy to SD -> .app install program -> WiiU memory or wiiU HDD.
once installed to the WiiU (memory or hdd) you don't need the .app files on your SD card anymore.

The game update and the DLC can be installed at anytime. they are located at a different location than the game.
they are not part of the game's file (best example : they are not part of the disc ! if you download the DLC officially, it will not write to the disc to add the DLC. the DLC is read from somewhere else, the same with the game update).
imagine it like this on your console or WiiU HDD:
disc or console or hdd/game/data/
console or hdd/game/update/
console or hdd/game/DLC/

you install each independently, in any order (you can install the game update or DLC first if you like).

6)
So, if you already have WUD files, you could either :
- use specific tools to extract its content (wud2app, DiscU), but you'll need the wud key (usually provided along the .wud file, or else you can't do anything with it). put the extracted .app files to your sd:/install/ folder.
if you don't have the wud key, you can delete your wud ! 24GB waste space.
or
- delete the wud anyway, and use either WiiU USB Helper program to get the same game from nintendo's servers or use disc2app to extract your disc again but in a .app instead of .wud file to your SD.

Conclusion : NEVER EVER rely on youtube tutorial.
they are OLD, DEPRECATED, BAD, and more important DANGEROUS !
NEVER GO TO YOUTUBE FOR INFORMATION !
(it's not personnal, it's just that 80-90% of users come from youtube and they all have problems. here, we really hate youtubers doing unproper guides. Never seen a good one. and of course old guide stay online which is very dangerous, videos can't be updated)

Thank you for your reply. Everything was pretty confusing to me in the beginning, but you shedded a lot of light. Everything is working amazingly well right now.

riku9000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello everyone, I need a bit of help getting my Wii U to load successfully from an external USB drive. I have a Japanese Wii U on 5.5.2-J and have successfully installed CBHC v1.6. I am trying to use WUP Installer GX2 to install games on my external USB drive, however, though they install fine, when I go to launch the games, they get as far as the splash screen and hang, forcing a reset of my system.

My first thought was that I was using WUP files from the wrong region, however, everything I have read has said that CBHC is region free. Similarly, I thought that maybe there was a problem with the files, however, they install correctly and I have tried three games, all with the same result of a splash screen hang.

I am completely out of ideas so any help anyone can give me would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sliraobe God

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible for the original game data to be installed on 1 device (say, USB) and the update/DLC to be installed on another separate device (say, NAND)? Or do they have to be together to work properly?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The console has priority to USB connected device.

if you put the game on USB, and update/DLC on the console, it will not see it.
If you put the game on console, and update/DLC on USB then MAYBE (haven't test) it will be found.

If you put game+save+DLC on both, it will see the USB when connected, the console when no USB connected. It acts as if you had 2 different savegames.

it's a trick to have both haxchi and the NDS game used to install haxchi at the same time. (haxchi on console, if you put USB it sees the original NDS game, not haxchi anymore)
but, let's not mess too much, just put everything on the same location to prevent problems and headache for people helping users because of uncommon setup.

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone had any issues with Assassin's Creed 3? Pretty sure usb helper verified the files fine and yet whenever I'd reach the door for the cutscene to kill the guy during the tutorial opera house scene, the sound would bug out for a second and then the game will infinitely load with a white screen with a !, exiting to Wii U menu would also then infinitely load and would need a full restart.

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so I'm trying to downgrade Netflix. The old version had an (IMO) nicer interface, and didn't autoplay the next episode when the current one was finished—it let each episode end cleanly and without distractions.

I successfully pulled the old version off of NUS with JNUSTool.jar. The decrypted version actually loads in loadliine, but is of course unable to connect to the internet. So I"m trying to install the encrypted version. Since I "own" Netflix legitamately, I'm using a legit ticket from my console, which I thinks should work on unpatched firmware! However, I've tried both with and without MochaCFW enabled.

On patched firmware (MochaCFW), WUDInstaller gives me error 0xFFFBFFFA. On unpatched firmware, I get error 0xFFFBF442.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've tried different SD cards and all the different versions of WUDInstaller—the original, y-mod, and GX2.

Thanks!

enricojacko

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I hope I am asking in the right section.

PROBLEM
I have some games that crash everytime in the same spot, showing a black screen on TV, making my Wii U flash a red led while the gamepad says "the connection with the console is lost". Then I have to remove the power cable from the back and put it back to use the console again.
EXAMPLES:
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - After completing stage 1-10, before a cutscene (I don't know the exact translation but it should be called "the search for the giant bird"): Toad walks few steps in a rocks way until it reaches a large place, then I see him sitting by a fire where it should begin the cutscene, and it crashes.
- LEGO City: Undercover - Inside the Bluebell mine, I defeat the goons and grab a dynamite bundle from the vending machine. Place the TNT in the barrel next to the Port-O-John on the edge of the cavern cliff. When it explodes, build the blue / white blocks into a LEGO dive board. Then it crashes before I can jump down the dive board.

MY SYSTEM
Wii U Premium Pack - 32GB - Hacked with CBHC methou following "[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking" on this Forum.
External USB - 2TB 3.5" disk box with separated A/C power.
SD Card: Micro SD 64GBwith adaptor
WUP Installer
System Config Tool
"Wii U USB Helper" (so the game installs are not corrupted)

ATTEMPTS (one by one uneffective, otherwise I would not write this post)
Uninstalling and re-installing the titles, then re-play with brand new save/profile, same crashes in the same spots
Deleting the first downloaded install from USB Helper on my PC, then re-download it again (to be sure there wasn't a corrupted file inside the package) to be installed again
Moving installs (games + patches + saves) from USB to NAND
Turning off the USB external HD while playing those games just moved to NAND
Open the console chassis and remove the internal dust on the components and fans (there was almost no dust already)
Attaching the power plug to a different electrical outlet.
Changing the HDMI cable and attach it to another input.
Changing the console system language AND the game language to ENGLISH
Changing the TV resolution and/or turning off the TV trying to use the Gamepad only (in LEGO City: Undercover it is not possible)

Same problem for any kind of attempt.

Is there any kind of LOG where I can find more information about the crashes to post? Maybe there is a section inside "System Config Tool" where to look?
I hope there could be a workaround for this, since I still really like this device and these games.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by enricojacko,

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried searching this thread and didn’t see an answer. I have wii sports club on disc which has access to all sports.

I ripped my disc and installed it and now it’s trying to make me buy passes and stuff. Is this normal? I thought I had save data from playing off the disc, I didn’t play it much but I am pretty sure I did play it a little bit.

I just use haxchi each time I boot for home brew stuff, do I have to download the dlc from usb helper or something and run haxchi each time I want to play it? Why didn’t my disc give me all the sports when I ripped and installed it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
some games (and I think this one is) have the mini-games as DLC or as game update.
the main game is only the booter/main game menu, and you have to get each mini-games separately.

on the disc, it's probably done as "game update" data, in a separate folder.
I remember there was game which was free to get and play with loadiine (no game key needed), as the full game was provided as game update, and updates are providing the decryption keys.
what you did is probably extract the game itself, but not the additional content.

You could try ftpiiu_everywhere if it can mount the disc and browse it to see if there's additional folders. or get the dlc from eshop helper, you'll need CFW to launch the game.

did you install the game to external ?
if you played that game before, maybe it copied the "update" to the console, and installing the game on external it doesn't look for additional data on internal, you should move the update to external first or install to internal.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

achyoav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
it won't show me most games. it only shows 501 and some game disappeared and others are on there for my friend and not for me. I checked to see if they're on the site, and they are. what can I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night