Hacking Wiiflow not loading partition and/or games

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't format it to WBFS, FAT32 should work.

if you use wiiflow, I thought it would work fine, a lot of users reported wiiflow having no detection issue while USBLoaderGX did.
if you use USBLoaderGX, go to the settings > loader's settings > Loader's IOS : set the value to 58.
reboot, and re-enable wii games (top menu > 4th icon > Wii games)

seeing it's 320GB, it should use MBR partition format (not GPT, even if it could).
MBR is more compatible with every other homebrew. be sure it's not using GPT.
also, USBGX currently has a bug with multiple partition on a GPT drive, so go MBR to be safe.

Wiiflow should work with both MBR and GPT.

if the drive is not detected at all, maybe you need a Y-cable to get more power.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had formatted it to FAT32 prior to testing it, and it seems to be already MBR. I'll try usb loader gx but i'm unsure according to your post why it would not work with wiiflow. If you need to know this is what settings I used with it:

force load cIOS: on
force cIOS revision: 249
game partition: usb 1

After I tested this I tried changing the cIOS revision to 250 but then I just kept getting a dsi exception...

Edit: just tried usb loader gx r1268 and it said the usb device was not initialized. In the wiki the person reviewing the hdd said that he used cIOS 38, should I try using this instead?

Last edited by Skeagle,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
probably because you "force load" the cIOS ?
let wiiflow use IOS58 at boot to initialize the drive, it should fix the problem.
Also, I don't know why it crashed while using 250, sorry.

don't follow what you read (cIOS based on 38 is stupid, and very old).
I told you above to set the setting to 58 if the drive initialization wasn't working.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably because you "force load" the cIOS ?
let wiiflow use IOS58 at boot to initialize the drive, it should fix the problem.

don't follow what you read (cIOS based on 38 is stupid, and very old).
I told you above to set to 58.

I can't even boot into wiiflow, i just get an error because I stupidly changed 249 to 250 not knowing what it would do.

I tried cIOS 58, so im very confused

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never said "cIOS 58" !
I said "IOS 58" (not CUSTOM)

you need the official IOS58 from nintendo, not a cIOS with base 58.

the loader need to use IOS58
the games need to use cIOS d2x v8 or v10r52 (based on IOS56 or 57, usually 57. not 58)

and if you changed wiiflow settings and can't launch it anymore, delete the setting file ?
delete the full folder, and put a fresh, newly extracted version of wiiflow. that will clean the settings and revert what you did which make the loader crashes.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said "cIOS 58" !
I said "IOS 58" (not CUSTOM)

you need the official IOS58 from nintendo, not a cIOS with base 58.

the loader need to use IOS58
the games need to use cIOS d2x v8 or v10r52 (based on IOS56 or 57, usually 57. not 58)

and if you changed wiiflow settings and can't launch it anymore, delete the setting file ?
delete the full folder, and put a fresh, newly extracted version of wiiflow. that will clean the settings and revert what you did which make the loader crashes.

Oh sorry, I meant IOS58. I tried to use IOS57 or 56, but it cannot be found. As for wiiflow, I did a fresh install and it still crashes. Right now I'm trying a different version.

Edit: tried different version, it still crashes. I have no idea how.

Last edited by Skeagle,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to delete the game save for Wiiflow to completely reset it. It should be in the regular place saves are in the system menu settings.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I used wiiflow only once, a very long time ago.
I don't know how to setup the newest wiiflow, sorry.

I'm almost sure it's using 58 by default, so either don't activate the option to force a cIOS, or find an option which is explicitely telling that the loader will use an IOS slot. (not the game ! but the loader).

Loader's IOS is different than game's IOS.
the game need a cIOS (cIOS249 or cIOS250)
the loader need a IOS with USB2.0 (IOS58 or cIOS249 or cIOS250)

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used wiiflow only once, a very long time ago.
I don't know how to setup the newest wiiflow, sorry.

I'm almost sure it's using 58 by default, so either don't activate the option to force a cIOS, or find an option which is explicitely telling that the loader will use an IOS slot. (not the game ! but the loader).

Loader's IOS is different than game's IOS.
the game need a cIOS (cIOS249 or cIOS250)
the loader need a IOS with USB2.0 (IOS58 or cIOS249 or cIOS250)
I played around with some settings and eventually re-installed cIOS 249 and 250. That seemed to fix the loader issue in both wiiflow and usb loader gx, but now I can't play any games in either. In wiiflow I tried changing the settings (also forcing a cIOS didn't change anything) but it only affected the time it took to load the system menu after choosing a game. And this brings me right back to where I was at the very start of this thread. I feel like I'm missing something, I just don't know what.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
could you run syscheck ?
just to verify the version and base you installed in these 2 slots.
or tell us, if you know, but if you did it correctly there's no reason it doesn't work except if the HDD is not compatible with wiiflow.

did you try another HDD?

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you run syscheck ?
just to verify the version and base you installed in these 2 slots.
or tell us, if you know, but if you did it correctly there's no reason it doesn't work except if the HDD is not compatible with wiiflow.

did you try another HDD?
I don't have another hdd (I had just bought this one), only flash drives and I've tried all of them. I really don't want to be the one to disagree with the 14 people who confirmed that the hdd worked along with the reviewer on the wiki. syscheck is here.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
your 249 is fine.
your 250 should be r52 too, as r53 has hardware and software compatibility issues. (HDD and emuNAND problem)

remember that r52 can only mount USB Port0 (bottom port, near the edge of the console)

ultimately, you can try to format to WBFS. some users reported fixing their detection issue by doing that, but you'll miss some homebrew and gamecube games loaders.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your 249 is fine.
your 250 should be r52 too, as r53 has hardware and software compatibility issues. (HDD and emuNAND problem)

remember that r52 can only mount USB Port0 (bottom port, near the edge of the console)

ultimately, you can try to format to WBFS. some users reported fixing their detection issue by doing that, but you'll miss some homebrew and gamecube games loaders.
Not sure how to format to WFBS. making 250 r52 didn't help either.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well I did format to WFBS (forgot there's an option to format in wfbs manager) but that didn't help either. So at this point I'm very frustrated and don't know what to do. I tried going in usb loader gx and attempted almost every combination of loader and game IOS I could think of. Still didn't work.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry that it didn't help, even with IOS58 :(

Maybe your USB port has an issue ?
did you try using other homebrew which access that USB Port, like WiiXplorer? or Ftpii ? or just another loader like CFGLoader? (I guess you tested both Wiiflow and USBGX already)
There are other USB loaders, but the most commons are these 3 loaders. (other one could be PostLoader, or very old ones but they might work only with WBFS partitions and old cIOS rev17 or less (don't go below rev14 or you'll brick!). just try wiixplorer/ftpiiu/wiimc/any emulators. most of them run on IOS58.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry that it didn't help, even with IOS58 :(

Maybe your USB port has an issue ?
did you try using other homebrew which access that USB Port, like WiiXplorer? or Ftpii ? or just another loader like CFGLoader? (I guess you tested both Wiiflow and USBGX already)
There are other USB loaders, but the most commons are these 3 loaders. (other one could be PostLoader, or very old ones but they might work only with WBFS partitions and old cIOS rev17 or less (don't go below rev14 or you'll brick!). just try wiixplorer/ftpiiu/wiimc/any emulators. most of them run on IOS58.

Sorry for the bump, I finally got it working. I searched all over youtube and found a great video which had me install extra things to IOS38 and IOS56/57. I kept my drive formatted as wfbs, and I also switched to a smaller sd card (dont even know if that did anything). used the modified r1262 build of usbloader gx. I also used the bottom port (port 1) because for port 0 it didn't detect. I tested it by dumping super smash bros brawl first, and then other games. Didn't test wiiflow, but I would imagine it would work? Thanks for your help and I also hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by Skeagle,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know what you did that really fixed your problem, but thanks for coming back and telling us. It could help other users (though, it's a little unclear what you did with IOS38/56/57, I guess you didn't install THESE slot, but the cIOS based on them, right?)
probably using d2x r53 (or IOS58), as you can use port1.
Maybe your Port 0 has a problem and is not working.

using the other port is a solution :)

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The video I used was about how to hack your wii from stock to usbloader gx, but I only followed the tutorial about the latter. I had viewed this video about a week ago, but coincidentally it was also uploaded in a similar thread to this one.

Last edited by Skeagle,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well, its a 2017 video but is providing prehistoric info.

wbfs manager? its known to corrupt drives
cios236? it is not needed anymore
cios r20b? it is more than 8 years old and latest stable is d2x (aka r21) rev8/9 or beta 52/53 for vWii.
usbloadergx without rev info on boot screen? very outdated.

I also used the bottom port (port 1) because for port 0 it didn't detect. I tested it by dumping super smash bros brawl first, and then other games. Didn't test wiiflow, but I would imagine it would work? Thanks for your help and I also hope this helps someone else.

you are on a Wii right?, so bottom port is actually port 0 (reverse of vWii), so you were using the wrong port all along...

Reactions: GreyWolf

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning