Gaming Will the Switch get a "Mario Kart 9"?

Do you think the Switch will get a "Mario Kart 9"?

• Yes

• No

• No idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stercate79

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think Nintendo Switch will get a MK9? Or they will just leave us with MK8 Deluxe?
I think that there will be a MK9 eventually, but maybe just in 2019 or late 2018.

Inb4 any sh*itstorm, pure speculation thread.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It depends on if Nintendo comes up with a gimmick worth the generation leap. But largely Nintendo seems to follow the rule of only one generation of online multiplayer game per console.

Honestly I can't even think of anything they could come up with that I could use to point out to people as a quick way of differentiation MK8D and MK9. So maybe nothing until the Switch successor - maybe even longer, if it's backwards compatible.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking no. Mario Kart games are mostly identical from one to the other with a few changed up mechanics. That's why they only do one per console. Otherwise, they'd be releasing multiple near-identical games with different stages, which they might as well add through DLC. But perhaps, not having to focus on a new Mario Kart will allow them to develop some of their other IPs or even create brand new ones. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is plenty great already.

That said, I really would like a new Mario Kart. I bought MK8 on Wii U and didn't rebuy on Switch because I had already played the Wii U version to death. I do like me some Mario Kart, and it'd be a shame if there wasn't a new one with new stages and things for their next console. That's my two cents on this topic.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I do infact. MK8D, as well as the other Wii U ports weren't just to milk old(er) games for as much profit as possible, but also for anyone who wanted those games but didn't want to invest $200-$350 in a subpar console to play them, ie anyone who bought the Switch, but skipped out on the Wii U.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I do infact. MK8D, as well as the other Wii U ports weren't just to milk old(er) games for as much profit as possible, but also for anyone who wanted those games but didn't want to invest $200-$350 in a subpar console to play them, ie anyone who bought the Switch, but skipped out on the Wii U.
Then we should be seeing SM4SH soon? I partially agree, but they were kind of milking the older games for a platform that didn't sell.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It will when Nintendo releases a more powerful Switch, ie.; 3DS to N3DS.

Pip'
AKA never? You think they're just gonna pull a more powerful Tegra X1 out of their asses?

A more powerful Switch would require a different SoC entirely, they might as well just wait for Switch 2. 3DS only went down the way it did because the original model was already outdated/weak when it released. Not to mention overpriced. You didn't see Sony doing a "New Vita Plus" around the same time, and that's because it was already a much stronger portable than the competition. Now Nintendo has no competition whatsoever for Switch, there's nothing to drive them to a new hardware revision quickly.

Matter of fact, Switch already has more power than the user has access to, it was throttled a bit so the battery lasts longer and there wouldn't be heat issues.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: VMM

Shadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way, even if they do choose to make MK9, people will choose MK9 over MK8D because 9 > 8. This holds true for the average user and is a good gimmicking strategy in attracting attention to any game. Let's just hope they don't screw this up and make a worse version of MK8D.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Either way, even if they do choose to make MK9, people will choose MK9 over MK8D because 9 > 8. This holds true for the average user and is a good gimmicking strategy in attracting attention to any game. Let's just hope they don't screw this up and make a worse version of MK8D.
I kinda doubt we'll see another Mario Kart any time soon for this reason. MK8D is chock full of content, it would take a whole lot of work to surpass that in MK9, and if it's rated badly people will just stick to 8. We'll probably see every other Nintendo franchise (Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Smash, perhaps Kid Icarus) come to Switch before we see a second game from MK series.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
AKA never? You think they're just gonna pull a more powerful Tegra X1 out of their asses?

A more powerful Switch would require a different SoC entirely, they might as well just wait for Switch 2. 3DS only went down the way it did because the original model was already outdated/weak when it released. Not to mention overpriced. You didn't see Sony doing a "New Vita Plus" around the same time, and that's because it was already a much stronger portable than the competition. Now Nintendo has no competition whatsoever for Switch, there's nothing to drive them to a new hardware revision quickly.
Not quickly.. No... However, what you're suggesting is still something akin to the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Xavier

That being said, I still think Nintendo will be coming out with a "Super Dock" with an eGPU that brings the Switch to 4k.

Dunno. I feel like we'll lose performance on that. Unless said super dock gives us full CPU clock speeds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards