Homebrew [WIP] amiibo Collection

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Slimfr01 Works on n3DS (not XL) using PowerSaves PowerTag. I can test it with any amiibo if you request. Also, when you press the Home button the touch screen will not work because the NFC scanning is on. You can close the app by pressing the power button and then the Home button though. May want to add an activate / deactivate option.

Last edited by DocKlokMan,

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
New update :
Now when you scan an amiibo, the application display collection and series name.

In the future could this be used to spoof Amiibos? I really don't plan on buying any.

No. At this time, this isn't possible for me and isn't the purpose of this application.

@Slimfr01 Works on n3DS (not XL) using PowerSaves PowerTag. I can test it with any amiibo if you request. Also, when you press the Home button the touch screen will not work because the NFC scanning is on. You can close the app by pressing the power button and then the Home button though. May want to add an activate / deactivate option.

If you have some time, can you test amiibo from different Collections and Series ?
Thanks a lot for your help.

For the issue with n3ds I note this for the next update.

Last edited by Slimfr01,
D

Deleted User

The N3DS version is fully functional now, thanks :D
There's only one problem, though it's not a big deal: while it's scanning for an amiibo and you return to the home menu, the touch screen doesn't work. A way to prevent this would be to have the program turn off the NFC chip when the Home button is pressed, and turn it back on when the program is entered. Or, you could implement an on/off button for N3DS withing the program.

BTW, I scanned all different collections and series of amiibos, and they worked fine (and displayed correctly).

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Working fine for me now! I'll try all my amiibo later (just tried the two I have sitting on my desk - blue Inkling Boy and Mabel, as well as three amiibo cards I have with me right now) and they work fine.

The major "issue" is, of course, that amiibo data isn't retained (or, at least, it's not retained in a way that's viewable - I have yet to check but I assume it might store data in collections.json, but I could be wrong), and you can't browse through your collection nor use it as a checklist. Which, if I understand correctly, is the goal for this app going forward, and I very much look forward to seeing that come to fruition.

There is one little problem I noticed - installing the new version doesn't overwrite the old version, and when I went to FBI to delete the old one after I discovered this, it crashed/froze once it tried to populate the list with the second entry of "amiibo Collection". I'll find a way to delete it afterwards since I'm not too worried right now, but I thought this was worth mentioning because it could cause trouble in the future if it's not resolved going forward.

A suggestion for starting to put the app together for its intended purpose, if I may, would be to translate the numbers (character, variant, amiibo ID) into words, so that the app can tell us exactly what amiibo we're scanning without anyone having to go get lists to compare to. Obviously this will come in time but I feel like this would be a fairly simple first step. I believe you already have all the data recorded, but if you need help entering all the data for each amiibo, let me know - I'd be happy to help.

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The N3DS version is fully functional now, thanks :D
There's only one problem, though it's not a big deal: while it's scanning for an amiibo and you return to the home menu, the touch screen doesn't work. A way to prevent this would be to have the program turn off the NFC chip when the Home button is pressed, and turn it back on when the program is entered. Or, you could implement an on/off button for N3DS withing the program.

Good too know that the app work on all 3DS model.
For the touch screen issue, i will fix that for the next update.

The major "issue" is, of course, that amiibo data isn't retained (or, at least, it's not retained in a way that's viewable - I have yet to check but I assume it might store data in collections.json, but I could be wrong), and you can't browse through your collection nor use it as a checklist. Which, if I understand correctly, is the goal for this app going forward, and I very much look forward to seeing that come to fruition.

I added the roadmap on first message. Save aren't implemented yet and will not be as long as i don't have a user friendly way to show the saved data.
collections.json, series.json ans types.json are fixed data file. Save will be on the regular game save data and update on ext data.

There is one little problem I noticed - installing the new version doesn't overwrite the old version, and when I went to FBI to delete the old one after I discovered this, it crashed/froze once it tried to populate the list with the second entry of "amiibo Collection". I'll find a way to delete it afterwards since I'm not too worried right now, but I thought this was worth mentioning because it could cause trouble in the future if it's not resolved going forward.

It's due to the first version with bad titleID, sorry. All new version will use the new titleID so this problem should be fixed.

A suggestion for starting to put the app together for its intended purpose, if I may, would be to translate the numbers (character, variant, amiibo ID) into words, so that the app can tell us exactly what amiibo we're scanning without anyone having to go get lists to compare to. Obviously this will come in time but I feel like this would be a fairly simple first step. I believe you already have all the data recorded, but if you need help entering all the data for each amiibo, let me know - I'd be happy to help.

It's the next step and yes not the most hard but the most annoying one :P
And because i don't want to re-do the list twice, i had to fill the characters file with keyword for translation ( and not with the displayed text ) and to do the first step for the future multi-language support.

proendreeper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have forked your repo, and I have started work on compiling most of the characters known, is there any particular way you want me to format the characters.json so that multi-lingual support is an easy transition?

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have forked your repo, and I have started work on compiling most of the characters known, is there any particular way you want me to format the characters.json so that multi-lingual support is an easy transition?

Thank's for you contribution.
if you follow the current model it's fine :
- All name in uppercase in one word
- No punctuation

in characters.json it's only keyword which will be used for the translation function. ( because some characters had variant name before character name, some after and this varies depending on the language so it's easier to do one file common for all languages ).

String translation will be in a lighter file like this :

Code:
{
{"chMARIO":"Mario"},
{"vDR":{"text":"Dr.","pos":"bef"}},
{"cGOLD":{"text":"Gold","pos":"bef"}},
{"chGANON":"Ganon"},
{"vDORF":{"text":"dorf ","pos":"suf"}}
}

Last edited by Slimfr01,

proendreeper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank's for you contribution.
if you follow the current model it's fine :
- All name in uppercase in one word
- No punctuation

in characters.json it's only keyword which will be used for the translation function. ( because some characters had variant name before character name, some after and this varies depending on the language so it's easier to do one file common for all languages ).

String translation will be in a lighter file like this :

Code:
{
{"chMARIO":"Mario"},
{"vDR":{"text":"Dr.","pos":"bef"}},
{"cGOLD":{"text":"Gold","pos":"bef"}},
{"chGANON":"Ganon"},
{"vDORF":{"text":"dorf ","pos":"suf"}}
}
Alright, also I am on a New 3DS, and I am having troubles exiting with Start, so I am trying to fix that before I move ahead anymore with characters. I am not quite sure what is hanging the program yet, but I can finish the characters file later (I'm basing it off an Amiibo Id database)

EDIT: Fixed hanging, a PR has been sent to your repo with the fixes. I tested them on my New 3DS and they work, so long as it is launched from the home menu, not the homebrew menu. But it may work for O3DS users on the homebrew menu.

Last edited by proendreeper,

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright, also I am on a New 3DS, and I am having troubles exiting with Start, so I am trying to fix that before I move ahead anymore with characters. I am not quite sure what is hanging the program yet, but I can finish the characters file later (I'm basing it off an Amiibo Id database)

EDIT: Fixed hanging, a PR has been sent to your repo with the fixes. I tested them on my New 3DS and they work, so long as it is launched from the home menu, not the homebrew menu. But it may work for O3DS users on the homebrew menu.

Thank's for the PR and the fix.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Any progress on any front? It's been a year and I'm eager to see this app come together! I'm happy to help where possible if all the data for characters still needs to be compiled (looks like you're putting it in a JSON file).
I really hope this gets finished one day because I think it would be an excellent little app. Kinda sad Nintendo never made an official tool like this (at least, not a public one, anyway).

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for those who waiting.
I plan to resume development one day but not immediately.

Don't hesitate to create forks to complete the JSON files or to use my code for any other amiibo-related homebrew.

LunarD3ATH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for those who waiting.
I plan to resume development one day but not immediately.

Don't hesitate to create forks to complete the JSON files or to use my code for any other amiibo-related homebrew.
With my intent to buy some neatly design amiibo cards, I wanted something to verify if they were genuine (before I had a way to test them in-game, since I don't own a Switch yet), so I found your program and this list which I hope is accurate enough.

Which brings me to my question: is it? I know very little about amiibo data, but I checked a few of my amiibo and got accurate series names, but for specific names, I had to go by the ID information. 0425 showed up as the first four digits for Reese and it's what the reader gave when I put her on my N3DS NFC reader.

It would be interesting if this process occurred automatically, but most people probably wouldn't get a use out of it, since they could just use it with the game they wanted to confirm the NFC chip has the data they want on it.

Slimfr01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which brings me to my question: is it?

During my test i didn't see any error on this list, i don't have a big amiibo collection but all my animal crossing figures ( all except 3 amiibo of this series ) and cards ( only series 1 ) give me the same ID as on the list.
Same for the dozen from Super Mario Bros series and the few from Smash Bros Series.

It would be interesting if this process occurred automatically,

Technically the code can do this, only data are missing.

https://github.com/Slimfr01/amiibo-Collection/tree/master/romfs

Anyone can edit these files ( understandable without knowledge in development ) and send them to me for an update or made a fork and a pull request.

Last edited by Slimfr01,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning