dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Logo_w_AtomUI.png

Zulas Desktop Environment
[WIP]

Codename: Gelato
*Cough* This is a Work In progress. There is currently no Public Stable Release as of yet! *Cough*

What is Zulas you may ask?

Zulas is a Desktop Environment created within C#. Also, this is not be confused with a 'Linux' Desktop Environment.
This 'Environment' is for use on the Windows Platform. But why?~

The purpose for it being on Windows Only; is because, if you're sick and tired of the Windows Explorer Interface. Whether you are running Windows XP, or the latest and greatest Windows 10.
Zulas also does
not modify, or replace any Windows Files, Extensions, or the Explorer environment itself. Instead, it completely runs on top of it!
Now, this has been done before; but has it been executed well? Most of these Visual Basic OS', aren't very good. Or at all for that matter.
But, what if we could change that?

By first using a more complex, programming language. A more feature rich, and simplistic interface; and the ability to launch Win32 apps in general!
Well, that's what Zulas aims to be!

Zulas has been a project for three years now, and continues to grow. Although, when it first started; it was created within Visual Basic, and wasn't that appealing of an Interface. So, for the past month I have been Redesigning it, from the ground up in C#.
I have also, been using a few other Open Source Libraries. Such as the Chromium Open Source Lib, Material and Metro Design Lib, and my own QTX Design Lib. These libraries are used together to give you the best experience possible.

Okay, so what does it do?

Zulas allows you to use the Integrated Applications that are bundled with it, as well as install any new ones via the GitHub repository.
This is done by simply reading an xml file, parsing it, and displaying information on a 'Store' application. You can then select a App, install it, and run it!
All apps are separate executables, but they all use the same design libraries. Making the visual experience seamless.

Zulas also will allow you to launch Win32 apps (As stated before.) Currently, I am testing ways to get it to work properly; and also to try and integrate the Design into Win32 apps.
In other words, change your favorite applications Titlebar, button, and other object designs; to match that of Zulas' own.

Zulas also has the ability to change the layout of the Desktop. You can change it to something more fitting to your style. You can make the layout resemble that of Windows, macOS, or even a list of Linux Environments. Such as "Gnome, Unity, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc."

Zulas also has a simple Account System. You can create up to four different accounts! Wowza, so many!
Reason being, is that it can be a mess trying to have more than four, or an infinite amount for that matter.
Zulas does not use any form of Encryption for the time being. So, do be advised that Zulas is easier to exploit, and hack than Windows Explorer.

Cool idea, but why would I want to use it?

Simple; as stated before hand, if you're sick and tired of the Windows Explorer environment~ You can use Zulas.
Although, the main reason why; is if you don't want to replace Windows. For something like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Arch Linux.
Of course, you won't be getting that Linux Experience, but you don't have to go through the hassle of Installing a Distro.
And probably taking at least an hour to backup documents, and other files. As well as look for alternative programs.
Instead, using Zulas to just run on top of Windows is a better solution for some. You're not replacing Windows, and you can still use
all of your favorite Programs, and access all your files.

Okay, this sounds cool and all; but where can I get it?

Zulas is still in development. So, there is no stable build available at this time. Although, there are some unstable testing builds available on the GitHub Repository; "master\builds."
Do keep in mind that these builds are nowhere near finished, and the latest build may not even be there, or compiled. Since I may have not even committed the changes.

Great, can I see it though?

Sure, here are some recent screenshots of Zulas:

NOTE: Some of the icons that are shown in the Interface, may/may not be final.
Nor is the Interface itself. Things are subject to change.
I am also still implementing the Chromium Browser. There is currently no Tab Support,

and many other Chrome features. There is hardly any documentation... SIGH!

0QlGHqw.png

mt2vywR.png

CDMel0M.png

tVjAYAy.png

Here are the links:

And more info about AtomUI is available on the GitHub Wiki.

Components used:

• CefSharp 62 (x86, Chromium)
  • Material Design Lib (x86)
  • Metro Controls (Win 8.1/Win 10)
  • Atom (Formerly QTX) Design Lib (0.1.4_vanilla, x86)
Features that weren't explained:
  • Live Wallpaper System.
  • Weather System
  • Fading, Blur, and other Image Manipulation systems.
  • A sleek and simplistic Notification System. Uses the Atom Design Lib.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple things.

Is it reversible?
Does this improve gaming performance?
Is it possible for you to kill processes that might decrease gaming performance? (Mostly pre-installed windows programs)

If you can include these things, you have me sold.

Last edited by Xanthe,
Reactions: Deleted User

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Couple things.

Is it reversible?
Does this improve gaming performance?
Is it possible for you to kill processes that might decrease gaming performance? (Mostly pre-installed windows programs)

If you can include these things, you have me sold.
Killing other unneeded processes is something that can be done. I will definitely look into adding something that improves gaming performance.

Reactions: Xanthe

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Interesting shell replacement. You don't really see these for Windows much more these days. If you can make it as extensive as LiteStep or bblean I'll be very impressed. I'm also very partial to the right click menu as opposed to the Start menu, so if this incorporates that I'll wholeheartedly recommend it as a replacement for Explorer.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I wanted to update all who have been keeping their eyes on this project. Development of Zulas has been suspended, this is due to me having person issues with family. Although, I have still gotten work done. I expect the project to have a working build by at least Christmas of this year or early January. I apologise for the inconveniences, but such as life, some things must come to an halt. This also explains why SimpliiU and 3DNUS haven't received any promised updates as well.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: Ricken
D

Deleted-394630

Hello everyone. I wanted to update all who have been keeping their eyes on this project. Development of Zulas has been suspended, this is due to me having person issues with family. Although, I have still gotten work done. I expect the project to have a working build by at least Christmas of this years or early January. I apologise for the inconveniences, but such as life, some things must come to an halt. This also explains why SinpliiU and 3DNUS haven't received any promised updates as well.

Take care everyone.
No worries, your personal life should always come first. Good luck.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I wanted to update all who have been keeping their eyes on this project. Development of Zulas has been suspended, this is due to me having person issues with family. Although, I have still gotten work done. I expect the project to have a working build by at least Christmas of this year or early January. I apologise for the inconveniences, but such as life, some things must come to an halt. This also explains why SimpliiU and 3DNUS haven't received any promised updates as well.

Take care everyone.
I am perfectly fine with this, hahaha
Good luck, get well

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica

Take care everyone.
dont push yourself over, man. Cheering you on from here

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I was wondering, what would you as users want to have in a environment? I am open to any suggestions, since I am drawing up concept's in gimp.

Also, I uploaded a video showing off the QTX notification system a while back. Do keep in mind this video is of an older build:

D

Deleted User

Looking neat. Would use this.

What does Chromium have to do with this?
What are these apps you speak of? Are you coding store apps?

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Looking neat. Would use this.

What does Chromium have to do with this?
What are these apps you speak of? Are you coding store apps?
Currently, im trying to build a framework for apps. Chromium will be used for some web based apps. Such as Evernote or Spotify. Most apps will be external and some will be internal.

Most apps will be stored within a respective directory, and a meta.xml file and icon will be placed within each. Along with the binary.
That is what I have been working on. Currently the system framework is being designed as well. Ranging from the accounts system, to the update system.

Reactions: Ricken

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have been making some Concepts in Gimp today. I thought I might as well share them~

Concept_Dialog.png Concept_store.pngConcept_store_Sel.png

First one is a Demonstration of the Admin Dialog. The second is a demo of the Package manager; but there is no Icons, just placeholders and an unfinished UI. Third is still the package manager, but displays more info about the app, as well as Install/Download progress.

I hope these concepts are decent, but I am working on other ones for now.

I will continue to document progress of Zulas from here on out~ Enjoy!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM