Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hackathon-graphic.png

Every single day I'm inspired by what members of this community have created. Great homebrew projects such as Sonic Realms Revival were born out of this community. A community is at it's best when we all get an opportunity to shine. So starting today I am kicking off the first ever Xbox One Hack-A-Thon. This contest will last until December 31st. Everyone is encouraged to participate, and there will be small prizes for the winners. The top 3 projects will be picked by the community via polling. If you have any questions I have attached an FAQ section below. I wish you the very best of luck :)

FAQ:
What tools can I use?

Unity3d,Monogame, any engine or framework that builds for UWP.

Is the Hack-A-Thon limited to just homebrew games?
Feel free to create whatever type of homebrew you want. Your only limited by your imagination.

Do I have to work solo or can I work in a team?
You are allowed to work solo or in a team if you wish.
However please keep in mind only one person will be able to redeem the cash prize.

What will I Win?
1st Place: $25 (Paid through Paypal or donated to a charity of your choice)
2nd Place: Honorable Mention
3rd Place: Honorable Mention

Can I have multiple entries?
Only one entry per user, this keeps the contest fair for everyone.

What are some examples of Xbox One homebrew games that have already been done?

Sonic-Realms

Hedgephysics

What if I need help with coding/art?

Some members of the community have volunteered to lend a helping hand. If you need assistance @kingtut has offered to help anyone in need.

Last edited by wiired24,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also like to emphasize that I will not be joining this hackathon since I want to be available for any help or advice since I am the dev of sonic realm revival and I know a thing or two about uwp development and unity c# development in particular. and the only way to help with that without bias is by not being part of the competition. I will be there to help creative ideas. So feel free to ask any questions or help from me

@wiired24 can you write that in the announcement. that if anyone needs help to pm me or talk to me. I want to have as much good homebrew games as possible. it is a really good goal for us

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of an Update for everyone. I adjusted the prizes. Finances for me are a bit tight currently so I can only afford to compensate one winner. I've also extended the competition to the end of the year to give everyone more time on their projects. Best of Luck everyone. I look forward to seeing what you create :)

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of an Update for everyone. I adjusted the prizes. Finances for me are a bit tight currently so I can only afford to compensate one winner. I've also extended the competition to the end of the year to give everyone more time on their projects. Best of Luck everyone. I look forward to seeing what you create :)

I think what you should do is allow people to port to other platforms. I feel that would encourage more people to join.

So like make a requirement that it has to come to xbox one, but it doesn't have to be exclusive. and then post that in other homebrew sections here to advertise the idea

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what you should do is allow people to port to other platforms. I feel that would encourage more people to join.

So like make a requirement that it has to come to xbox one, but it doesn't have to be exclusive. and then post that in other homebrew sections here to advertise the idea

With UWP you can build a game that runs on Xbox One, PC, Windows Store, Micorosft Hololens etc

I'll be posting my own submission for this contest soon. Of course my submission will be exempt from being picked but I wanted to take this oppurtunity to give something back to the Xbox One homebrew scene.

Last edited by wiired24,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With UWP you can build a game that runs on Xbox One, PC, Windows Store, Micorosft Hololens etc

I'll be posting my own submission for this contest soon. Of course my submission will be exempt from being picked but I wanted to take this oppurtunity to give something back to the Xbox One homebrew scene.
I already said I am not going to join. but if you want me to do the same as you. I wouldn't mind submitting Sonic Continuum with it exempt from winning.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already said I am not going to join. but if you want me to do the same as you. I wouldn't mind submitting Sonic Continuum with it exempt from winning.

Sure that would be fine by me. Sonic Continuim would make a great addition to the contest but as you wish in order to give others a chance to shine I'll exempt it from winning.

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure that would be fine by me. Sonic Continuim would make a great addition to the contest but as you wish in order to give others a chance to shine I'll exempt it from winning.
Alright sign me up, and for submission. i will submit the October update of the game

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This "Scene" wouldn't be what it is without all of us guys. We all work together in various ways to make Dev Mode a great asset for any Xbox One owner. It says alot when 7-8 months ago nobody really cared for or even knew what dev mode was with the exception of just a handful of indie devs using their Xbox One to test their game. Fast forward to October 2017 and when people mention Dev Mode the connotation is "Oh yeah you can get all those emulators and homebrew with Dev Mode right?".

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I feel like Microsoft should be thanking us. We made Dev Mode relevant. And it's a great platform for homebrew ;)

Last edited by wiired24,

Snoogins757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I could do more to help and create, rather than just enjoy your guys hardwork but its hugely appreciated and rest assured anything I can do to help and promote what you guys do ill defo be up for it. I haven't been in the scene for long but everyone is amazingly helpful and I appreciate that hopefully the scene grows more and we can have a lot more fun with xbox homebrew. Ill be checking out sonic continuum later haven't had a chance to but looking forward to it kingtut.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could do more to help and create, rather than just enjoy your guys hardwork but its hugely appreciated and rest assured anything I can do to help and promote what you guys do ill defo be up for it. I haven't been in the scene for long but everyone is amazingly helpful and I appreciate that hopefully the scene grows more and we can have a lot more fun with xbox homebrew. Ill be checking out sonic continuum later haven't had a chance to but looking forward to it kingtut.

Thank you I appreciate your enthusiasm. The biggest way you can help grow the scene is word of mouth. The more developers we can get involved the better. I'll be releasing my own Xbox One Homebrew game "SpookyDimensions" here in the coming weeks. So there's also that to look forward too.

Snoogins757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good stuff wiired24 ill look forward to that and ill be telling everyone i can about this whilst thinking of any other ways i can possibly help keep the scene alive and going forward ive had a couple of ideas but maybe just brain farts and dont know if i can achieve them but ill have a go and see.

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hackathon-graphic.png

Every single day I'm inspired by what members of this community have created. Great homebrew projects such as Sonic Realms Revival were born out of this community. A community is at it's best when we all get an opportunity to shine. So starting today I am kicking off the first ever Xbox One Hack-A-Thon. This contest will last until December 31st. Everyone is encouraged to participate, and there will be small prizes for the winners. The top 3 projects will be picked by the community via polling. If you have any questions I have attached an FAQ section below. I wish you the very best of luck :)

FAQ:
What tools can I use?

Unity3d,Monogame, any engine or framework that builds for UWP.

Is the Hack-A-Thon limited to just homebrew games?
Feel free to create whatever type of homebrew you want. Your only limited by your imagination.

Do I have to work solo or can I work in a team?
You are allowed to work solo or in a team if you wish.
However please keep in mind only one person will be able to redeem the cash prize.

What will I Win?
1st Place: $25 (Paid through Paypal or donated to a charity of your choice)
2nd Place: Honorable Mention
3rd Place: Honorable Mention

Can I have multiple entries?
Only one entry per user, this keeps the contest fair for everyone.

What are some examples of Xbox One homebrew games that have already been done?

Sonic-Realms

Hedgephysics

What if I need help with coding/art?

Some members of the community have volunteered to lend a helping hand. If you need assistance @kingtut has offered to help anyone in need.

can this be given out for file manipulation tools and tutorials

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This "Scene" wouldn't be what it is without all of us guys. We all work together in various ways to make Dev Mode a great asset for any Xbox One owner. It says alot when 7-8 months ago nobody really cared for or even knew what dev mode was with the exception of just a handful of indie devs using their Xbox One to test their game. Fast forward to October 2017 and when people mention Dev Mode the connotation is "Oh yeah you can get all those emulators and homebrew with Dev Mode right?".

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I feel like Microsoft should be thanking us. We made Dev Mode relevant. And it's a great platform for homebrew ;)
well they kinda made it just to get hackers off their back and prevent piracy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse