Hardware Xbox One S. Disable / remove Wi-Fi & RF board

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to remove both the wi-fi module and the RF module from the Xbox One S and still have it work with only wired controllers?

I want to be able to:

* turn power on and off
* insert & eject discs
* play games normally (of course)
...using only wired controllers.

I want:
* zero wireless emissions, with no possibility of them being enabled (ever)
* no option to use any wireless peripheral for the life of the console (including the bundled wireless controller)

I have removed the wi-fi and RF modules from the Xbox 360 E already. The console doesn't complain. A wired controller takes care of powering it on and off, ejecting discs, etc. Is a similar thing possible with the Xbox One S? (I have yet to buy one)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The switching power supply generates wireless emisions.
So does the crystals inside.
And specially the CPU/GPU that switches at high power.

PS: I mean, for any computer, Wi Fi or not, all these devices generates RF just because due to being powered on, the CPU/GPU genereates RF in the range of microwaves, etc.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sarkwalvein, my main concern is wi-fi / bluetooth
yusuo, health reasons (but I really don't want the discussion to get into this...I have made up my mind based on all the evidence I have researched)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean, Wi-Fi can really be very harmful for a group of people, that I fortunately don't belong to.
But the range of RF generated by the CPU/GPU resides in a zone similar to Wi-Fi, and can be harmful as well, that is what I was trying to convey.

PS: Anyway, I don't know if it is possible to keep the XB1 working without the modules, so I can give any useful data in this regard.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
sarkwalvein, my main concern is wi-fi / bluetooth
yusuo, health reasons (but I really don't want the discussion to get into this...I have made up my mind based on all the evidence I have researched)
Radio waves exist in nature, there's really no way you can avoid them. Anyway, yes radio waves can be harmful to people, but the risks are vastly exaggerated. Wifi/RF is very low power, it simply doesn't have enough power to hurt humans.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wifi/RF is very low power, it simply doesn't have enough power to hurt humans.
Many scientists disagree (I can bore you to tears with links but I'd rather not). There is enough info out there to act.

Lots of money is involved in wireless tech today so for every "damage" article, there is at least another one that says it's safe. I'm not really here to debate my choices (they won't change, and I have spent way too long looking into this), but rather I simply want to know how the Xbox One S behaves when the 2 modules are removed.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many scientists disagree (I can bore you to tears with links but I'd rather not). There is enough info out there to act.

Lots of money is involved in wireless tech today so for every "damage" article, there is at least another one that says it's safe. I'm not really here to debate my choices (they won't change, and I have spent way too long looking into this), but rather I simply want to know how the Xbox One S behaves when the 2 modules are removed.

Try it yourself. If you are planning to do it then go do it. I see no reason why it would not work.

Also, there are no wired 1st party controllers so you will need to find a decent wired 3rd party one. The Xbox One S controller has Bluetooth and WiFi Direct so using a 3rd party controller is the only option.

Also, there should only be one module to remove, which is the wireless since it is used for both WiFi and the controllers.

The initial setup has you sync the controller BTW so you may not be able to skip that and would want to do that first then remove the wireless card.

Last edited by driverdis,

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
driverdis,
I am not willing to buy one unless I know that it is possible to go 100% wired. But I may have to buy one since nobody seems to know.

Yeah, it's a shame that no console vendor sees this as an important issue, so users have to chase down third-party wired controllers like you said ( along with obscure info ).

Thanks for the info about syncing.

Last edited by foob,

eliza333

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foob can you provide updates if you end(ed) up getting the xBox One S and removing the Wi-fi and RF modules? My husband and I would like to do the same. (Agreed that the scientific research supports serious health effects.) We are currently connected via ethernet cable but are still measuring high emissions. Even when not playing, emissions are high unless we unplug it altogether.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol