Homebrew Yet Another Wad Manager Mod

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
giantpune said:
here it is, starting at line 419 http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/sou...hes/patchcode.c

i think that the easiest way to impliment this is with a few little checks...
1) is the wad being installed 0x00010001, 0x00010002, or 0x00010004
2) is the content being installed NOT a u8 archive
3) try the patch. if it is successful, then dont try any more of the content in that wad.

apparently nickasasa says that triiforce uses a different way to boot channels, so it may work there. but the reason it doesnt work for channels booted by the libogc or geckoOS method is that we never deal with the "meat & potatoes" of the channel. At the most, we just load up the little nandloader doodad and it is what actually puts the meat & potatoes part into memory. Since we can't patch it is it is getting put into memory ( since the nand loader is doing that ) we can just patch it as it is getting put onto the nand, so it will be patched already when the nandloader thingy reads it.

i thought already about doing this with a PC app like toejam asked about. but i have a big issue with that. this patch isnt just a "change a to b and c to d" patch. So, while it is reversible, it is not advised to do this to actual wads. Instead, i think wads should just be patched as they are installed. Then if you decide you want the channel to exit to some other place, you can just reinstall the exact same wad but change the TID it uses. This can be done with showmiiwads also. you will just need to convert this to c# and toss it in there.
Oh, I don't want it to work on actual WADs - that'd lead to all sorts of troubles with people who don't have a clue what they're doing getting dodgy WADs that've been badly patched, etc.
I'd rather it patch the files extracted onto the virtual NAND (preferably during the extraction) similar to what'll happen with YAWMM if it's implemented - that or patching the file when it's been added to the NAND. Either method is fine, but whatever is logistically possible (I believe that it'd have to be done during the extraction just due to the headaches it could otherwise induce, but I could be wrong). Also, would it be possible for the user to define the channel the installed game would return to?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you would probably want to talk to leathl then and have this included in showmiiwads. it shouldnt take much work to convert this to c#. is far as setting the ID the channel exits to, i have allowed for that in the function. you just give it a memory buffer holding the dol, the length of the dol, and the ID to have that dol exit to. it should be pretty universal to use on a wii or PC with a swap32() or htonl() added in for a few addresses.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks for the info on fake-signed .tiks and the common key index offset. I always found it interesting that the wadsigners used that offset for the "b-force?" when there is plenty of padding area to use instead, probably due to most wadpackers being made prior to the korean wii maybe? luckily there are new signers that use the 0x024c offset instead

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK then, about some patches. I'm thinking of putting this return to patch into a custom nandloader and giving people the choice to inject that instead of patching the dol itself. That way you could just press reset when loading a channel and change the choice from there instead of having to reinstall stuff. Is this ok for people or would some prefer patching the game itself?

Also, would anyone find patching IOSs on install useful?

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
cwstjdenobs said:
OK then, about some patches. I'm thinking of putting this return to patch into a custom nandloader and giving people the choice to inject that instead of patching the dol itself. That way you could just press reset when loading a channel and change the choice from there instead of having to reinstall stuff. Is this ok for people or would some prefer patching the game itself?

Is it too much to ask for both options?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
cwstjdenobs said:
OK then, about some patches. I'm thinking of putting this return to patch into a custom nandloader and giving people the choice to inject that instead of patching the dol itself. That way you could just press reset when loading a channel and change the choice from there instead of having to reinstall stuff.

GENIUS, absolute GENIUS! I hope in the end it works just as you described!

It would be useful, but I fear people will go nuts and try patching everything... the only IOS that should be patched is the system menu IOS, everything else is pointless (unless u are darkcorp'ing, in which case this feature wouldn't be needed anyways).

Now what I would love to see is the ability to install a wad to a different IOS slot, that way if I have a wad of cIOS249rev19[57], i can install it to slot 250, or 222, or whatever I want. This could be added to the extra options menu (or whatever its called when you press 1 and it asks u if you want to delete the wad).

And if its possible, I'd love to see some bluedump functionality added, ie. pack a wad of an IOS... or maybe give the user the option to move or copy an IOS to a different slot... I am just thinking about wanin's cios installer, and how "complicated" it is to get 2 different versions on slot 249 and slot 250. Here's what I am picturing... imagine u install cIOS249rev19[57] to slots 249 and 250, then u load yawmm, then either pack a wad of the IOS in slot 249/250 or make a duplicate of itself to an empty slot (say 251). The user goes back to wanin's installer and installs cIOS249rev19[37] this time, then goes back to yawmm, and either installs the packed wad to slot 249 or moves the duplicate of cIOS249rev19[57] on slot 251 back to 249 (so base57 on slot249 and base 37 on slot250). I hope that was clear and made sense.

If any of this is not possible, please disregard my request and chalk it up to wishful thinking.

Take it easy nobby!

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toejam316 said:
cwstjdenobs said:
OK then, about some patches. I'm thinking of putting this return to patch into a custom nandloader and giving Is this ok for people or would some prefer patching the game itself?

Nope. It was just that if no one wanted it I could be lazy
wink.gif

@XFlak, good point about the IOS patches. Some people do seem to think that if you've got an option you've got to use it.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
cwstjdenobs said:
toejam316 said:
cwstjdenobs said:
OK then, about some patches. I'm thinking of putting this return to patch into a custom nandloader and giving Is this ok for people or would some prefer patching the game itself?

Nope. It was just that if no one wanted it I could be lazy
wink.gif

@XFlak, good point about the IOS patches. Some people do seem to think that if you've got an option you've got to use it.
If you do start adding those features, maybe you could do so by putting a YAMM.cfg file in the same folder as the boot.dol, and require it to have a variable saying "AdvancedMode=1" before allowing access to those features, as well as throwing up a warning the first time you run it in advanced mode saying "Warning, running in advanced mode has limited support, and is limited to bug reports only!".
It'd be just enough to throw off the people who'd just try and patch everything, but let you include some nifty features like the suggested WAD packaging, IOS patching, slot patching, etc.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Will doing this via the nandloader work through geckoOS, or will how it patches channels/applies cheats interfere?

@toejam Yeah, I'm going to have to think about that a bit. I also don't want to make this harder to use by overloading people with options they don't want/need.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adding this to geckoOS with the way it boots channels is possible. but it would take a whole lot of work that im not going to do. since we only ever boot the nandloader thingy in geckoOS, you would have to patch the nandloader to patch the actual dol.

and there is not any way i know of to add it to the libogc method of booting channels.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Strange thing : I choose IOS250 (= 38) then I choose Nand emulation (from SD) than I must hcoose the .WAD source and my SD is not displayed : only, USB ou SD Gecko.
Any clue about installing WAD from SD to "NAND on SD" ?

Thx

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
OuahOuah said:
Strange thing : I choose IOS250 (= 38) then I choose Nand emulation (from SD) than I must hcoose the .WAD source and my SD is not displayed : only, USB ou SD Gecko.
Any clue about installing WAD from SD to "NAND on SD" ?

Thx
As far as I know, you can't install WADs from the same thing the NAND is on - SD NAND = USB Only installs, USB NAND = SD Only installs.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leathl said:
@giantpune: Did you actually ever try to patch a VC / WW title? I just tried it on a WW title and it just blackscreened when pressing return to menu.

i havent patched it permanently. i have patched it at runtime. meaning that i read the dol from the nand, patch it, and run it. and it has worked for every title i ran without any trouble. i dont see any reason that this would not work with a permanent patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared