Your choices of food when on a ultra tight budget

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something that peaked my curiosity is what some folks do when there short on cash and need a bite to eat to at least not die of starvation. Most usually go for something like ramen but I was wondering what some of you go for besides that. My take at a budget meal is a bit of rice, and to add a bit of flavor I either add soy sauce or I add lemon juice and lemon pepper and/or normal salt.

Just hypothetical, I'm not actually in a tight situation on money right now.

Last edited by jt_1258,

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor people are fat in my country.

But in all seriousness, I have been being extremely cheap with my food last year. A loaf of bread is only like two or three dollars. Eggs are a few dollars for a dozen. Rice is cheap as heck. Flour is also very cheap.

Basically, you can buy the essentials for almost nothing and cooking a lot of basic food is very cheap to make.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
auto

Reactions: Ace001

Shadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on your budget...

$10 could get you (one of the options, not all of them):
►Subway footlong + Subway softdrink
►10 dollar burgers
►10 Spicy Chickens
►A lot of instant noodles
►A few food items from Walmart such as popcorn chicken or hot dogs

$5 could get you (same as before, one of the options):
►5 Spicy Chickens
►5 dollar burgers
►4for4 deal at Wendys (or a 4for5 at burger king
►Few instant noodles
►A few food items from Walmart (less items than with $10)
►6 inch at Subway
►Food from those cart-shops that those people wearing old clothes push (if you know what I mean)

<$5 could get you:
►A few or one of the instant noodles
►1 or more Spicy Chickens
►1 or more dolar burgers
►possible 4for4 or 4for5
►Canned food (Such as tuna)

There's certainly a lot of food you can buy and there's much more than this list. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Shadd,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chef Boyardee. it's like $1.20 a can and contains all the protein you need. It doesn't go bad, and since it's pasturized it doesn't even need to be microwaved (which is a good thing as microwaving doesn't improve the taste and makes the pasta fall apart). The downside is it's acidic so if you eat it too many days in a row you start finding fresh blood on your toilet paper and get itchy as hell there.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: 8BitWonder

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If you're on an ultra tight budget it is important to still get some proteiniron or else you're going to be severely tired all the time. But, meat is expensive. What to do?

Eat liver. It costs less than a quarter of regular meat and has more proteiniron so you don't have to eat as much.

Also, if you have a back yard consider growing spinach, tomatoes, potatoes and other easy things. Once a big tomato patch gets going it is very hard to kill and you'll be able to harvest for years and years, all for free (except for occasional manure and watering).

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: Byokugen

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Cheap canned tuna and grilled cheese. Two bucks for the bread loaf, 45 cents per can of tuna, and about another two dollars for some decent cheese. Cheap, easy, good. Another good one is 60 cents for some green beans, two bucks for one of those boxed stuffing mixes, and tuna again. If you're feeling fancy, grab a small thing of mayo, make a sorta casserole of it, which is pretty delicious. There's the staple of ramen + egg, as well. And if you're willing, coupons can get some really solid deals on regular stuff, if you put in the effort to find them. Haven't had any of these in ages, though, so I'm not 100% sure I could easily go back to eating that stuff daily these days.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Baked potato.
Potato is cheap and nutritious.
Potato is good.
Praise potato.
I dunno about nutritious. Pretty much all starch. And I say that as a person of Irish descent who loves potatoes be it mashed, baked, twice-baked, steamed, fried, whatever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yltcaxE +1