OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
New year, new books! What is the first book you will read / are reading in 2018? all formats welcome, no discrimination.

for me it's The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, I started the audiobook yesterday and have been listening to it while I work. it's not bad by itself, a little more YA than I was expecting, but I like Butcher's writing a lot and sky pirates are totally my jam so I'm pretty into it so far. it is, however, a poor substitute for new Dresden Files, but then again most fantasy books are as well.

in dead tree format I'm reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, I started it the day after Christmas. it's a beefy book so it will take some time to read it all, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. it jumps between a lot of characters and can be very jargon-heavy so at times it can be somewhat hard to follow, but I think it is compelling and exciting if you have the patience.

what are you reading, and what formats do you prefer?

Reactions: Issac

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I finished Emma by Jane Austen yesterday. Quite boring, but wasn't expecting much from it. A friend really wanted me to read it as it's her favorite.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still working my way through The Fellowship of the Ring from last year. Those books are long and require a fair bit of skipping over the spoken song parts.

After I graduated college I have only used audio books, either legit from audible or supplemented from torrents.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
After I graduated college I have only used audio books, either legit from audible or supplemented from torrents.
Audiobooks are great but they are very expensive compared to the digital, text-based version of the book or they are being read by an incapable voice actor or by someone you just really don't like. I always have to make sure to listen to the demos before picking one. Was saved by them many times.

D

Deleted User

I got a few books for the new year to read over break. I'm starting with Dante's Inferno, as weird as that sounds.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems my first is rereading Characteristics of Games
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/characteristics-games

I did get a nice illustrated version of Beowulf for Christmas so that will be next.

Actually new to me though... probably whatever a charity shop or car boot sale yields first, though my shelves are looking rather stacked and there are a few in there I have been saving for some unspecified point.

As for The Way of Kings the Stormlight series is probably my favourite Brandon Sanderson series, though if you think that was jargon heavy I would make sure you have time to properly concentrate if you ever read The Rithmatist.

Re audiobooks I have not done any in a while come to think of it. Once the PSP died and I put a network wire to my on bed book reading laptop that was kind of the end of that.

Reactions: wafflebeard

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm reading one of my Christmas gifts: "What The Hell Did I Just Read" by David Wong.
It's the third book in the series starting with: "John Dies at The End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch it".

I'm already halfway through, and that includes several days where I haven't read a single page due to not being home, due to going to bed at 6 AM, and other stuff. :P I think I'll finish it within this week.

Reactions: wafflebeard

Spectral Blizzard

GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finished a TON of GBATemp blogs after the new year.
No, I'm not kidding.
As for a proper book, B.L.E.A.C.H #30, because I tried out the series [despite hating anime] and I was totally hooked on it in December, so yeah.
Voice Typing Master Race.
Join Today!
Call +1 (800) 34...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm reading one of my Christmas gifts: "What The Hell Did I Just Read" by David Wong.
It's the third book in the series starting with: "John Dies at The End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch it".
I liked "John Dies at The End" a lot, but didn't really like the other one. I didn't like the shift in style and (see spoiler). What's the third one like, is it closer to the first or the second book?

the fact the plot was mostly moved along by very contrived misunderstandings

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I liked "John Dies at The End" a lot, but didn't really like the other one. I didn't like the shift in style and (see spoiler). What's the third one like, is it closer to the first or the second book?

the fact the plot was mostly moved along by very contrived misunderstandings

It feels more like "John Dies at The End" to me. See spoiler why (which won't be a spoiler to you).
Regarding your spoiler tag though, I don't remember that at all... It was a few years ago I read it though, but it wasn't anything that bothered me anyway. Can't say if this third book is a victim of it or not :unsure: The shift in style in the second book was very apparent though, and I didn't mind it but I see your point there.

This feels more like the first book because it's the whole team together, John, Dave and Amy, unlike the second book where they were separated for the most part. The setting also feels more like the first book, and so does the monster stuff.

Well, You can read the three first chapters for free on the hype site for the book, to get your own opinion :P http://jdate3.com/preview.html#body_div

Reactions: Veho

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Audiobooks are great but they are very expensive compared to the digital, text-based version of the book or they are being read by an incapable voice actor or by someone you just really don't like. I always have to make sure to listen to the demos before picking one. Was saved by them many times.
Sure, but I guess I have it easy. Paying 15 bucks for an Audible account each month. But I also have a steady job, not to many bills and a sugar mamma to boot.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a replacement copy of an old book I really liked as a kid--"The Folk of the Fringe", by Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game author), and it held up to how I remembered it. As for new books that I plan to get through, I got Slaughterhouse-Five as a Christmas gift, which'll be fun to read.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users