Gaming Your Zelda BotW Disappointments?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about this game. I heard that it didn't have long, intense dungeons which would be a disappointment to me. does the game even feel like zelda?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a question about this game. I heard that it didn't have long, intense dungeons which would be a disappointment to me. does the game even feel like zelda?
It have shrines instead of dungeons. Some are more or less enter and you're done. Some you have to use your nogging. Never the less, it feels like a Zelda game, yet it doesn't. It's kind of unique in that sense. They tried something new instead of the tried and true formula and for me, it's for the better!

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It never occured to me that I'd been playing a 100 hour open world game pretty much without glitches until I heard it on a podcast. THAT is an achievement though. That is Nintendo quality! It's almost strange how few bugs there are COMPARED TO other games.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never learned to snowboard with the shield... and I to this day have no idea where I learn it.
There is a guy that you can talk to that teaches you how to do it (not required). You can also buy some overpriced shields from him. I remember finding him when traveling from the great plateau to hateno village.

Reactions: linuxares

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BotW overall doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me. I hated the shrines that destroyed the pace of the game. I'd rather have them make eight humongous dungeons instead of all these boring shrines. And also the durability of the items made all confrontations with enemies a case where you lose all your spare gear. And the cooking of food sucked. I hated it all, but maybe i am just getting old.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my only complaint is the DLC, Does it expand the map beyond the invisible barrier? DLC for open world games like that should always expand the main map past the original boundaries.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isnt there this cave-like system where you meet the night time merchant? somewhere in the north-west...
huge af pillar in the middle.
Yeah, the Hebra region has a few cave systems

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is a guy that you can talk to that teaches you how to do it (not required). You can also buy some overpriced shields from him. I remember finding him when traveling from the great plateau to hateno village.
There's also a lady with a shieldsurfing minigame in Hebra Mountains

Reactions: linuxares

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to admit I wish it had underwater exploration. It would be cool to go to the bottom of lake Hylia and look for long lost temples and shipwrecks, and it would've been cool if that flooded town ruins was completely underwater.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Beside the fact that the could have made the story bigger and more shining I only hate one fact about that game that I never stop to hate:
The weapon durability.
I spent 200 hours on the Wii U where I used trainers to make weapons "unbreakable".
Now that I'm playing the game again on the Switch where I can't cheat it really annoys me again.
I get a nice weapon from a chest or a Lynel and I'm like "Who cares? It will break after 10 hits anyway."

Still an absolute 10/10 game though.

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
An absolute 10/10 game it is not by a mile in my opinion. Majora's Mask to me is the best Zelda game of them all and than ALBW.

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
After my initial disappointment with the game in general, I started liking it more and more, now I love it. And although not the best zelda game in ( that's Okami) it is the one I can't seem to stop playing despite the fact I have no incentive to do so anymore.
Things I would have loved to have (different) in this game:

Boss fights (all ganon forms + Ganon), these were just a big disappointments
FISHING - so much water and fish.. but no rods? missed chance I say, even if it was optional on top of the current system.
Proper Music everywhere, not just in towns, or a choice to switch between Music and or ambience.
Zelda's english voice - the heavy accent made me switch to Japanese, all others were fine.
Weapon durability implemented differently somehow.
More enemy variation, and enemy interaction.
More unexpected events like the corrupted dragon, and ninja hideout that gave some meaningfull gameplay variation.
A different implementation of master mode ( with better AI and reactions instead of the regenerating damage sponges that still got easy after the initial tedious difficulty spike)
I understand water is a natural barrier again ( at leas tin the beginning) but I miss proper swimming, and or diving / Metal Boots, Would have loved zora armour making you able to swim like Majora's zora mask)
A reason to cook proper food with better bufs, instead of just stacking 5 item X and cooking it.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game, but these things disappointed me.

Last edited by MidLevelCrisis,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda BOTW was a good open world game.. but not a good zelda game for me. Shrines get so stale because the music and theme of each one is exactly the same and the puzzles are insanely easy and they never feel rewarding because its so easy to cheese the physics engine and "solve" the puzzle. The divine beasts were a joke are were a horrible substitute for the dungeons in previous zelda games. Plus the items you get for completing a shrine are so bad, really it just continues the boring cycle of: getting some resources like arrows and food to be able to get to the shrine>beat the ridiculously easy puzzle in the shrine>Get more food and breakable weapons you will use to reach the next shrine and continue this unrewarding cycle.

Additionally there wasn't enough (or any lol) memorable music in this game, the ambiance soundtrack (where they just play a few piano strokes every once in a while) was a weird choice considering xenoblade chronicles, another open world game, had its overworld filled with a stellar memorable soundtrack, so saying that they had to transition to this ambiance soundtrack because of the transition to an open world game is not a valid justification. To this day I still get the Link Awakening Overworld theme and the Wind Waker Great Sea theme randomly pop into my head and play for a long while, Breath of the Wild has no such iconic soundtrack that had the impact that previous zelda soundtracks had.

The story was also horribly executed, traversing throughout a huge world for like a 2 minute memory? Disappointing. Ugh remember that one zelda botw trailer that made it out to be some kind of studio ghibli film? That's what I wanted, more attention to story wouldve been amazing because a lot of these character did have some great potential to be fleshed out, like it was interesting to see zelda not being able to live up to what she was supposed to be but it was never fleshed out to its true potential and what we got is only a husk of what could've been something great, sacrificing good story telling for non linear gameplay was another one of their bigger mistakes with this game.
Not to mention that the overworld was pretty stale after a while too, very pretty yes, but if looks is all it has going for it I'd rather be watching a video about than paying 60 bucks to fight the same 5 enemies in this giant world and find the occasional boring korok.

I could keep going but I'm just going to cut it short rn so again TL;DR Fun open world game, but Not a good zelda game 8.2/10

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly the fact that you COULD cheese the physics is part of what made the shrines so fun for me
Really? I didnt like it that much lol my little brother got stuck on this one shrine and called me over and I just used stasis on an object hit it a few times and used a bomb on it to get it to launch me up to the end of the shrine and boom solved, horribly easy. I just want some challenging puzzles, the type that gets me stuck for like a very very long time, solving those really hard puzzles is whats rewarding for me... but there was no such thing in botw, the shrines have solutions that can be figured out in very little time. But if you like that that's fine, my disappointment in the game shouldn't affect you enjoying it :)

Last edited by Eddypikachu,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I didnt like it that much lol my little brother got stuck on this one shrine and called me over and I just used stasis on an object hit it a few times and used a bomb on it to get it to launch me up to the end of the shrine and boom solved, horribly easy. I just want some challenging puzzles, the type that gets me stuck for like a very very long time, solving those really hard puzzles is whats rewarding for me... but there was no such thing in botw, the shrines have solutions that can be figured out in very little time. But if you like that that's fine, my disappointment in the game shouldn't affect you enjoying it :)
I haven't really gotten into stasis launching myself, but I'm the guy that likes to use my metal equipment to close circuity and cheesing the gyro puzzles by flinging them and such lol

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
BotW overall doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me. I hated the shrines that destroyed the pace of the game. I'd rather have them make eight humongous dungeons instead of all these boring shrines. And also the durability of the items made all confrontations with enemies a case where you lose all your spare gear. And the cooking of food sucked. I hated it all, but maybe i am just getting old.
Yeah everyone went crazy about this cooking, it's just a pain in the ass combining the ingredients and finding recipes yeez

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next time, don't call it LEGEND OF ZELDA! Call it something else like Adventure time, it would have been a perfect game with the same type of fantasy world and gameplay, and what a missed opportunity. :blink:

Reactions: Piebe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: