Hardware Disk read error

Hamane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Hi all, I recently bought a few wii u games, 5 used games and a splatoon brand new which I decided not to open, I didn't actually own any wii u games before and used it mostly to play wii games, the only wii u games i had was splatoon but after a while the game stopped working (after 2/3 minutes of games i was still a disc read error message).
In short, where I'm coming from is that the 5 games I bought do not work, 2 do not open (instead of the game I receive an icon of a disc with a question mark and when I launches it either I am asked to clean the disk or in the other to check if it is indeed a wii/wiiu game), 2 are launchin but after barely 30 seconds of games I receive a disk error, and the last one hangs in the launch screen of the game, it's super painful knowing that I don't even know where the problem can come from, since my wii games work perfectly I was wondering if the problem wouldn't come from the discs , but I wanted to know if there is any chance that the problem comes from the disc reader instead, could the wii games (DVD) work perfectly but for the wii u games (blue ray) could be some problems.
I could check all that with the game brand new, if the game works then the problem comes from the discs, if there is a problem then it comes from the disc reader which can only read wii games, but I really don't want to open it and I want to keep it sealed.
That's why I wanted to ask you:
- Is it possible that the disc reader can play wii games perfectly but have trouble for wii u games?
- if so, do you know a trick to solve the problem and see where the problem comes from dis reader
- if not, do you know a trick to clean the disks so that they can be repaired?
Thank you very much for your answers :=

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
- Is it possible that the disc reader can play wii games perfectly but have trouble for wii u games?
Yes. Two different lasers. For reading higher density discs, a laser with shorter wavelength is needed.
CD → infrared, DVD → red, BD → blue (surprise)
An awesome engineering work, behind the development of optical drives… Optics, electronics, mechanics

- if so, do you know a trick to solve the problem and see where the problem comes from dis reader
Process of elimination:
  • Insert your games into another Wii U console, which is known to work.
  • Insert known to work games into your console
"I don't have […]" isn't helpful here (sorry, I got this reply too often). Borrow stuff you do not have.

- if not, do you know a trick to clean the disks so that they can be repaired?
Please do not attempt to repair the BD-like discs. Any scratch can be "deadly" for them, so common advises (resurfacing) that might work for CD/DVD, aren't a good idea. :!: Resurfacing should be the LAST thing to try, even for CD/DVD → high risk!
Gently cleaning them with soft cloth and non-aggressive cleaner on the other hand is a good idea. The hard coating isn't as prone to scratches as older optical discs… they were simply forced to make it that robust.
I've seen BDs (movies, not the Nintendo Wii U discs which are similar to BD) with some kind of nearly invisible residues from manufacturing – this negatively impacted performance in ripping them (no read errors though).
======

Since you ruled out opening the console, your troubleshooting options regarding the drive are pretty limited. There was an official cleaning tool for Wii not Wii U (when some older units showed problems reading dual layer games), and there are strange ideas how to build your own cleaning tool to shove it into the slot-in drive. To be honest, I wouldn't do it myself – neither with the official tool nor with anything else.
My favorite method is cleaning the lens(es) of optical drives with a Q-tip and non-aggressive cleaning agent – but it requires opening for all but toploaders. This method even revived a fat PlayStation 2 which must have been so unlucky to sit next to a heavy smoker for years (yuck… the stench inside) the lens was almost brown →🤮

You could also choose to run the games from HDD instead from optical drive. Technically downloading them is still against the law if you own a license, so purists might reject that method. In this case you should dump your discs with a working Wii U should

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Hamane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Yes. Two different lasers. For reading higher density discs, a laser with shorter wavelength is needed.
CD → infrared, DVD → red, BD → blue (surprise)
An awesome engineering work, behind the development of optical drives… Optics, electronics, mechanics

Process of elimination:
  • Insert your games into another Wii U console, which is known to work.
  • Insert known to work games into your console
"I don't have […]" isn't helpful here (sorry, I got this reply too often). Borrow stuff you do not have.

Please do not attempt to repair the BD-like discs. Any scratch can be "deadly" for them, so common advises (resurfacing) that might work for CD/DVD, aren't a good idea. :!: Resurfacing should be the LAST thing to try, even for CD/DVD → high risk!
Gently cleaning them with soft cloth and non-aggressive cleaner on the other hand is a good idea. The hard coating isn't as prone to scratches as older optical discs… they were simply forced to make it that robust.
I've seen BDs (movies, not the Nintendo Wii U discs which are similar to BD) with some kind of nearly invisible residues from manufacturing – this negatively impacted performance in ripping them (no read errors though).
======

Since you ruled out opening the console, your troubleshooting options regarding the drive are pretty limited. There was an official cleaning tool for Wii not Wii U (when some older units showed problems reading dual layer games), and there are strange ideas how to build your own cleaning tool to shove it into the slot-in drive. To be honest, I wouldn't do it myself – neither with the official tool nor with anything else.
My favorite method is cleaning the lens(es) of optical drives with a Q-tip and non-aggressive cleaning agent – but it requires opening for all but toploaders. This method even revived a fat PlayStation 2 which must have been so unlucky to sit next to a heavy smoker for years (yuck… the stench inside) the lens was almost brown →🤮

You could also chose to run the games from HDD instead from optical drive. Technically downloading them is still against the law if you own a license, so purists might reject that method. In this case you should dump your discs with a working Wii U should

Good luck and have fun!
OK thank's ! Am gonna borrow a friend's game and try it on my console to see where is the problem, am also gonna give him a game to try it in his own console

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [uploads TP] :D +1