Hacking EZ-FLASH JUNIOR - fix ._duplicated-files + sort alphabetically + save states workaround

victoriemini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello EZ-FLASH community and a big HEY to Stereophonic, big fan of your work!

I'm relatively recent to the scene, I started messing around with retro games last years and it seems I like organizing my rom library and tinkering the files much more than actually playing.

Here is some useful information I gathered all over the internet, if EZ-FLASH team sees this, It would be useful to have this information in the official website, feel free to use it.
I would love to test and research on the OMEGA DEFINITIVE EDITION and any other flash cart for that matter, hit me up for my PO BOX.

Erase all dot underscore ._ files
On a MAC you can use dot_clean command to remove or merge the ._ files:

dot_clean PATH_OF_FOLDER_OR_DRIVE

If you move files to linux, or have Git Bash on your PC, and have access to the find command, you might also be able to do this:

find . -type f -name '._*' -delete

And they’re gone!

Sort Alphabetically
If you’re comfortable using the Mac terminal, there’s fatsort:

1. Open Terminal using Spotlight search by pressing <command+space>. Type terminal and hit Enter key.
  2. Now, run
    ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
  3. Install fatsort using brew
    brew install fatsort
fatsort is ready to use now!

Once installed, plug the SD card in, and type:

diskutil list

Find the SD card in the list of drives and note the disk #, for example: disk2s1

Then type:

diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s1

Now run the program: sudo fatsort /dev/disk2s1

Be sure to use diskutil to unmount the drive and not the eject button in the finder, otherwise fatsort won’t work.

Save States
Try gb-save-states, there you will find patches to add save state support to Game Boy and Game Boy Color games when playing on the original hardware.

It’s required a patching software that supports bsdiff patches:

• Windows (command line) – BsPatch
  • macOS (GUI) – Multi Patch
  • macOS (terminal) – install Homebrew and then run brew install bsdiff in the terminal
Setup
  1. Download the .bsdiff patch file for the game from the patches directory
  2. Patch your original ROM with the patch to build a new patched ROM.
    Example for command line/terminal:

bspatch "B.C. Kid (E) [!].gb" patched.gb "B.C. Kid (E) [!].gb.bsdiff"

3. Copy the patched ROM to your flash cartridge
Controls
Due to different button layouts on the GB/GBC and the GBA, there are two different button combinations that can be used to save/load a game.

After pressing the button combo, the screen will flash as the save/load process runs.

Save
Combo 1: Hold Down and press Start

Combo 2: Hold Select and press A

Load
Combo 1: Hold Up and press Start

Combo 2: Hold Select and press B

There isn’t a patch for my favorite game!
Submit an issue and hopefully someone will create a patch for you.

If you have a bit of Game Boy assembly knowledge then you can create a patch yourself. Check out the How To document

And that's it by now, if you have any info to complement mine, I will be more than happy to add it to the thread.
I've created www.modpedia.org as my open research notebook, you might want to check it out.
I'm from Brazil and if you speak Portuguese, my youtube channel might interest you, it's called VICTOR IEMINI

PEACE!

Last edited by victoriemini,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello EZ-FLASH community and a big HEY to Stereophonic, big fan of your work!

I'm relatively recent to the scene, I started messing around with retro games last years and it seems I like organizing my rom library and tinkering the files much more than actually playing.

Here is some useful information I gathered all over the internet, if EZ-FLASH team sees this, It would be useful to have this information in the official website, feel free to use it.
I would love to test and research on the OMEGA DEFINITIVE EDITION and any other flash cart for that matter, hit me up.

If you move files to linux, or have Git Bash on your PC, and have access to the find command, you might also be able to do this:

find . -type f -name '._*' -delete

And they’re gone!

Sort Alphabetically
If you’re comfortable using the Mac terminal, there’s fatsort:

1. Open Terminal using Spotlight search by pressing <command+space>. Type terminal and hit Enter key.
  2. Now, run
    ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
  3. Install fatsort using brew
    brew install fatsort
fatsort is ready to use now!

Once installed, plug the SD card in, and type:

diskutil list

Find the SD card in the list of drives and note the disk #, for example: disk2s1

Then type:

diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s1

Now run the program: sudo fatsort /dev/disk2s1

Be sure to use diskutil to unmount the drive and not the eject button in the finder, otherwise fatsort won’t work.

Save States
Try gb-save-states, there you will find patches to add save state support to Game Boy and Game Boy Color games when playing on the original hardware.

It’s required a patching software that supports bsdiff patches:

• Windows (command line) – BsPatch
  • macOS (GUI) – Multi Patch
  • macOS (terminal) – install Homebrew and then run brew install bsdiff in the terminal
Setup
  1. Download the .bsdiff patch file for the game from the patches directory
  2. Patch your original ROM with the patch to build a new patched ROM.
    Example for command line/terminal:

bspatch "B.C. Kid (E) [!].gb" patched.gb "B.C. Kid (E) [!].gb.bsdiff"

3. Copy the patched ROM to your flash cartridge
Controls
Due to different button layouts on the GB/GBC and the GBA, there are two different button combinations that can be used to save/load a game.

After pressing the button combo, the screen will flash as the save/load process runs.

Save
Combo 1: Hold Down and press Start

Combo 2: Hold Select and press A

Load
Combo 1: Hold Up and press Start

Combo 2: Hold Select and press B

There isn’t a patch for my favorite game!
Submit an issue and hopefully someone will create a patch for you.

If you have a bit of Game Boy assembly knowledge then you can create a patch yourself. Check out the How To document

And that's it by now, if you have any info to complement mine, I will be more than happy to add it to the thread.

PEACE!
Pc only needs fatsorter nothing more Windows FTW!!!!

JoKoKilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can you provide some clarification on how to perform this task? I keep getting this result...

Failed trying to change dir to /SANDISK
Bad Pathname: No such file or directory
Failed trying to change dir to 8GB
Bad Pathname: No such file or directory

My mini sd is called SANDISK 8GB. I have two folders I want to clean, "Gameboy Color" and "Gameboy Original." Both are located on the root of my sd. Or can I clean the entire drive? How would I type this in terminal to perform a dot_clean? I've tried all these...

dot_clean SANDISK 8GB/Gameboy Color
dot_clean SANDISK 8GB/Gameboy Original
dot_clean /SANDISK 8GB
dot_clean /Volumes/SANDISK 8GB

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Last edited by JoKoKilla,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2