GBAtemp's Chatroom Service

old-time-phone-switcher.jpg

Hi Tempers

Did you know that GBAtemp has its own easy to use irc chat network which you can connect to via your web browser or irc client of your choice? Join the official GBAtemp chatroom and its relaxed atmosphere for 24/7 discussions ranging from the latest in hacking and gaming news to random silliness and any other subject you can imagine in between.

Need somewhere to livechat with other members of the forum for any 3ds wifi based events or something similar you may be organizing? Want to have a specific channel just for a specific game or subject people can join and discuss with you? Join irc and we can help you quickly set up a private chatroom that you and others can easily join in seconds.

So feel free to join our relaxed little community via your favorite IRC client using the address irc.gbatemp.net (default port 6667). And our main channel is as always #gbatemp.net

You can also join us directly via your browser using :arrow: this link.

Enjoy! :gun:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any distinct difference between chatroom and shoutbox? I kinda do not know much except you can talk to people like a chatroom much like a bunch of things do... so if they do the same thing, is there really a reason for having them both?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The people in it for one. There are guests too, IRC has a long history among internet types so there are things that go with that, among GBAtemp it has a history -- the whole ROM thing was coordinated somewhat with IRC and thus has been some form of GBAtemp IRC since before the forums, it is held as separate to the forums and is both less permanent than the shoutbox and more permanent.

As for why when we have a shoutbox, or shitbox to use the proper title, when there is IRC then I have asked the same thing since the shoutbox's inception. I have contemplated bridging the two but never got around to it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Big question is, why isn't there a GBATemp Discord?
There's probably gonna be one soon, linked with IRC - that way old timers can stick on IRC, while younger users can use Discord. The two main channels will be linked (and others too, if there's demand), so that should benefit conversation for both sides.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've had some success with this, and its Slack counterpart - Although neither offer a "complete" experience where users appear to natively be a part of the corresponding service (not so easy with Discord although Slack is fine w/ it!), but that's on the backlog for now! I'm pretty keen to see what @raulpica comes up with!

Question - Any plans to go down the same road with integrating the chatbox and IRC?
Question - Can I join this Discord? Pretty please?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop trying to make on my cakes