How to convert a 00000000.app file to an opening.bnr and inject it into an .iso file

Hello, GBAtemp community! This is my first time posting here, but I'll try to be clear :)

Apparently, there is no tutorial on how to add a CUSTOM BANNER to an .ISO file. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this, as I believe it has no practical use. However, it's good that anyone who wants to do it has the possibility and knowledge to do so. I want to gather all the information in one place since understanding how this process works has taken me about 2 weeks of searching in many places on the internet. Let's start by providing some context:

⚠ IMPORTANT ⚠ - Most of the time, it is said that "00000000.app" and "opening.bnr" files are equivalent, which is not true. They are very similar, but not identical or the same. We will understand why later on. It is also important to note that this tutorial is safe because nothing we are going to do is destructive or invasive. Any mishaps during the process will result in the console freezing, which can be fixed with a simple restart. Additionally, all tests will be conducted in Dolphin; attempting this on original hardware is your responsibility. With that said, let's begin:

The Wii menu is based on a system of channels, each of which has an animation that serves to preview and identify the program you are going to run. This animation is found within the .WAD file along with other files, and it is stored in a file called "00000000.app." Inside this file, there is a folder called "meta" that contains three files: "banner.bin," "icon.bin," and "sound.bin" (for more information, refer to: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Opening.bnr). When you insert a disc into the Wii, the "Disc Channel" plays an animation similar to that of other channels. This animation is stored on the disc as "opening.bnr," a file that is very similar to "00000000.app" but with slight variations.

Important notes (limitations) (source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/opening-bnr-vs-00000000-app.251137/)

• Both files (00.app and opening.bnr) have the same structure, but their difference lies in the header of each file. A .WAD file with a DVD-Header will work without any issues, but an .ISO file with a Channel-Header will not play the animation. The console won't freeze, but in the menu, the Nintendo Gamecube logo will appear, and upon entering the channel, it will be completely black with no sound.
View attachment 374203
1685189966713.png

• This means that you can put an opening.bnr file into a .WAD directly, but not the other way around. Opening.bnr has a set of limitations different from 00.app, starting with the fact that an opening.bnr file should not exceed 516KB, as otherwise, it will crash the system when loading the disc. If you extract an opening.bnr file and repack it using programs like Ewes, you will have converted it into a 00.app file, and it will not work if you try to put it back into the .ISO file.
With all that being said, we can now begin with the tutorial:

Tools we will need:
  • CustomizeMii
  • Ewes
  • HowardC U8 Tool v10.1
  • WiiScrubber
  • Dolphin
  • WiiBNR Player (optional)
The first step is simple. We will need to have the desired 00000000.app file ready for injection. To do this, we can modify a .WAD file using CustomizeMii and extract its 00.app file with Ewes. I assume that you already have your edited .WAD file ready, and now you want to extract its 00.app file. To do this, open Ewes, go to the "extract" tab, and select "Extract the 00.app from a WAD".

1685184508589.png

Now, let's do the same with our 00.app file, but this time selecting "Extract the BIN's from a WAD or 00.app" in Ewes. The previous step was not necessary, but this way we will have both files in case we need them.

1685184648470.png

Great! Once we have done that, we will need to package and create our "opening.bnr" file. This process was quite difficult for me to understand at first, but it's actually quite simple. Here's what we need to do:
  • Download and extract HowardC U8 Tool v10.1.
  • Prepare the working environment.
  • Open the command prompt (CMD).
  • Navigate to the directory where you have downloaded the program.
  • Execute a command.

1. Prepare our working environment.
We need to enter the extracted folder and create a subfolder called "files."
1685186685973.png

In this folder, we need to create another subfolder called "meta" and inside it, paste our 3 .bin files that we extracted earlier with Ewes.
1685186802802.png
1685186832408.png

2. Run CMD
We need to access the folder that contains our program, in order to do that, we'll execute the following command:

cd [path to the folder containing the U8Tool.exe file]
Example: cd C:\Users\Example\HowardC U8 Tool v10.1\u8tool10.1

(in my case, C:\Users\Matías\Downloads\u8toolwii\HowardC U8 Tool v10.1\u8tool10.1)

1685186560396.png

Now that we are inside the folder, we need to execute the following command:

u8tool.exe -file "custom.bnr" -folder "files\" -pack -DVD -Title "MYTITLE"
*Note: "MYTITLE" is the name that will appear on the channel when hovering over it. You can choose any name you want, but it's important that it doesn't exceed the available 42 characters in English. For more information about the program's syntax, please refer to: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/U8_Tool_Wii. Do not use L77z compression, as it doesn't work!

1685187358626.png

*You can also try this "custom.bnr" file in WiiBNR Player to preview in order to be sure everything is fine before injecting it into the .ISO file.

3. Add the file to the .ISO
We will use WiiScrubber (make sure you have key.bin and kkey.bin, as the program won't be able to do anything without them).
Open WiiScrubber, load your ISO, and locate the "opening.bnr" file:

1685187932787.png

Now, right-click on the "opening.bnr" file, select "Replace," and the file explorer will open. We need to navigate to the folder where we worked previously with the CMD. There, we will open our "custom.bnr" file (it doesn't matter if the name doesn't match, WiiScrubber will replace the file regardless of the name or extension).

1685188026620.png

Once it's done, we need to close WiiScrubber because if we don't, Dolphin will detect that another program is using the ISO, and it will crash when trying to use it.

4. Now, open Dolphin and load the Wii menu:
1685188144918.png

And now, while the Wii menu is running, go to File > Change Disc, and select our .ISO file.

1685188202042.png

And that's it! That's how we obtain an ISO with a modified "opening.bnr" file!

1685188341031.png

Congratulations on completing the tutorial! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Deleted member 585853

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
is there an alternative to the u8 tool used here or a fix for the errors im having? on wine or virtual machine i get errors like run-time error -2-147417848 (80010108) automation error

BgYs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
is there an alternative to the u8 tool used here or a fix for the errors im having? on wine or virtual machine i get errors like run-time error -2-147417848 (80010108) automation error
can you provide some screenshots?

alphaum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
HELLO? I'm only having problems with one thing, a message when I execute the command in CMD, this message appears: "Component 'FM20.DLL' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" I saw some tutorials that said you have to reinstall the officer, I did and it continued with this message. Can you help me with any tips?
mod.jpg

BgYs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
HELLO? I'm only having problems with one thing, a message when I execute the command in CMD, this message appears: "Component 'FM20.DLL' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" I saw some tutorials that said you have to reinstall the officer, I did and it continued with this message. Can you help me with any tips?View attachment 421367
sorry for late response, I made up the tutorial some time ago so I don't totally remember, but as I know you can download FM20.DLL on Google and place it one the same folder as the U8 tool, as its seen on this screenshot
1711952794848.png

tell me if it works for you and I'll try to help you if not, I think I got the same error as you

alphaum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sorry for late response, I made up the tutorial some time ago so I don't totally remember, but as I know you can download FM20.DLL on Google and place it one the same folder as the U8 tool, as its seen on this screenshot
View attachment 429139
tell me if it works for you and I'll try to help you if not, I think I got the same error as you
it didn't work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste