Hacking How to solve problem with sd card file transfering

MiddleSide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi i got myself a new 128gb microsd card because I wanted to up my storage on the new 3ds xl from the 32gb microsd I had.

I formatted it to fat32 and transferred the files from the old sd card to the new one, the problem is that the light on the 3ds turns on then off immediately when the 128gb sd is inserted but when I try it with the 32gb sd it works just fine.

I also tried getting different boot.firm files from the github releases for luma and it still doesn't work, am I doing something wrong?

Here's a picture of the 128GB sd card files
1690677016629.png

Last edited by MiddleSide,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the brand of the 128GB card? I typically use SanDisk and have yet to have a problem with them, but I've heard there's some other brands that have issues with larger cards and the 3DS.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I formatted it to fat32 and transferred the files from the old sd card to the new one, the problem is that the light on the 3ds turns on then off immediately when the 128gb sd is inserted but when I try it with the 32gb sd it works just fine.
Which light are you referring to? What color is the light?

Was the card completely empty before you copied any files to it?

Also, what did you use to format the card? Godmode9 is the most reliable way to format a card. On a PC you may need to use Minitool Partition Wizard to ensure there is no extra partition information.

Swapping around boot.firm files is probably not going to help you.

MiddleSide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does the 32GB card boot?
Yes, it boots with no problem
Post automatically merged:

Which light are you referring to? What color is the light?

Was the card completely empty before you copied any files to it?

Also, what did you use to format the card? Godmode9 is the most reliable way to format a card. On a PC you may need to use Minitool Partition Wizard to ensure there is no extra partition information.

Swapping around boot.firm files is probably not going to help you.
The light is the power light from the 3ds, it turns blue for a moment and then turns off.
Yes the card was completely empty before I copied the files to it.
I used guiformat to format it to FAT32 before copying the files into it.

What's the brand of the 128GB card? I typically use SanDisk and have yet to have a problem with them, but I've heard there's some other brands that have issues with larger cards and the 3DS.
It's SanDisk

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that's really odd. I've used GUIFormat and not had a problem once it formatted, though I have since switched to HP USB Tool since sometimes GUIFormat thinks the SD card is being used by something else and won't start to format it. When you used GUIFormat, what cluster size are you using? 32KB to 64KB should be fine.

The only other thing I could think of would be that there's some sort of error that crept in when you were copying from the original SD card to the harddrive and then back to the new SD card, but that seems kind of rare. It's possible if the original SD card is fairly old and well used.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it boots with no problem

The light is the power light from the 3ds, it turns blue for a moment and then turns off.
Yes the card was completely empty before I copied the files to it.
I used guiformat to format it to FAT32 before copying the files into it.

It's SanDisk

I would run a h2testw test on the card with the card being empty just to make sure the card is good.

MiddleSide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would run a h2testw test on the card with the card being empty just to make sure the card is good.
Sorry for the late responses had a lot of things to do! I'll try this out see if the sd card is okay, if it is I'll try it again and follow the guide sent by impeeza
Hopefully it works!

EDIT: Yeah the sd might not be good unfortunately :(, the test is till not done but this message popped up.
Only way to fix would be to get a new sd card correct?
1690862906511.png

Last edited by MiddleSide,
Reactions: anotherthing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c