Homebrew app I NintenDON'T know what's going on. (help me)

ThatGuyFlip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have multiple issues going on. After FINALLY getting a Wii with Boot2 compatibility, I swapped the bad disk drive out and got to here. I set up RiiConnect24, with the new updated DNS, and now I keep getting FORE/NEWS000002 anytime I try to boot those apps. I have accepted the EULA, downloaded the WAD's to the respective places, cleared the config file, etc.
But wait, THERE'S MORE! After setting up USBLoaderGX, my Gamecube games will not show on the menu. I have them enabled to show, I have set the right paths, etc. Any tutorial on how to fix it doesn't work.
Third strike: a Hard drive issue. Thankfully the USB 2.0 flash-drive everybody recommends is working fine. My issue is running out of storage. My old 500G HDD from a broken PS4 is formatted, but doesn't detect when inserted. It also can sometimes cause all power to drain from the Wii, causing an issue with booting. If anybody has suggestions, let me know.

EDIT: The RC24 bot helped me fix the 000002 errors.

Last edited by ThatGuyFlip,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you checked this guide? Its written especially for this case and covers a lot of possible issues.
  • Maybe try first to run some GC games from SDCard to verify the Loader works properly.
  • Then be sure the USB drive is recognized correctly, there exist two possible cIOS setups.
  • And use a Y- Cable to power the drive, also temporary a extern powersupply.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: jeannotte

ThatGuyFlip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you checked this guide? Its written especially for this case and covers a lot of possible issues.
  • Maybe try first to run some GC games from SDCard to verify the Loader works properly.
  • Then be sure the USB drive is recognized correctly, there exist two possible cIOS setups.
After reading over my scenario, it has not helped me. Going through settings in USBLoader GX, checking my drive, everything is normal. I'll try putting a GC game on my SD card.
The USB is recognized.
And I am using a Y-Cable. Data going into the Wii, power going to a USB Brick.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, the loader does work properly. Mariokart Double Dash came up once put on the SD card. I find it odd though, I put it the exact same way as on my USB drive. Same partitions, same file format, etc.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
After reading over my scenario, it has not helped me. Going through settings in USBLoader GX, checking my drive, everything is normal. I'll try putting a GC game on my SD card.
The USB is recognized.
And I am using a Y-Cable. Data going into the Wii, power going to a USB Brick.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, the loader does work properly. Mariokart Double Dash came up once put on the SD card. I find it odd though, I put it the exact same way as on my USB drive. Same partitions, same file format, etc.
if your usb fat32 mbr partition? most big ones are gbp partition tables and that is very bad for nintendont and wii in general they are kinda unstable, so i recommend checking the partition type.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As mentioned by pedro, i also recommend to check your used partition table and filesystem. USBLGX Guide filesystem
And also be sure the drive is compatible with the USB Loaders. Not all drives are compatible with the dx2 patch and as only port 0 is supported by the patch.

As you are going only to play GC games you can set the loader cios to 80 that gives standard USB2.0 support for both back ports and therefore higher compatibility.
Note: But In case the drive works with IOS 80 only and Wii games dont run with game cIOS 151(base58), only GC games can be played from it.

ThatGuyFlip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned by pedro, i also recommend to check your used partition table and filesystem. USBLGX Guide filesystem
And also be sure the drive is compatible with the USB Loaders. Not all drives are compatible with the dx2 patch and as only port 0 is supported by the patch.

As you are going only to play GC games you can set the loader cios to 80 that gives standard USB2.0 support for both back ports and therefore higher compatibility.
Note: But In case the drive works with IOS 80 only and Wii games dont run with game cIOS 151(base58), only GC games can be played from it.
The plot thickens. Gamecube games show on neither, The HDD was indeed GPT on it's format, I'll see a fix to that soon. Also, I never stated I would ONLY be playing GC games.
I have been told previously that when people took old PS4 drives for their Wii backups, they worked just fine. Any other ideas?
EDIT: I got the GPT table swapped, and it's now on MBR. Somehow my new Wii supports the drive with just one USB. Hurray? Sadly, even messing with Nintendont and USB Loader GX, the Gamecube games aren't visible still. I also did update Nintendont, reset USB settings, etc.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The plot thickens. Gamecube games show on neither, The HDD was indeed GPT on it's format, I'll see a fix to that soon. Also, I never stated I would ONLY be playing GC games.
I have been told previously that when people took old PS4 drives for their Wii backups, they worked just fine. Any other ideas?
EDIT: I got the GPT table swapped, and it's now on MBR. Somehow my new Wii supports the drive with just one USB. Hurray? Sadly, even messing with Nintendont and USB Loader GX, the Gamecube games aren't visible still. I also did update Nintendont, reset USB settings, etc.
you shure the games have the correct path?

usb:games/anyname/game.iso ???

Does any homebrew work off the hdd? like other emulators and such?

ThatGuyFlip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you shure the games have the correct path?

usb:games/anyname/game.iso ???

Does any homebrew work off the hdd? like other emulators and such?
*clap*
I don't know how I didn't realize I screwed up the actual game file structure. Game names, the folders, damn. It now works, and now I know the solutions.

As of now, this thread is officially, SOLVED.

ThatGuyFlip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to hear, so finally what was the solution in detail? May you tell it us in short ?
Gladly.
Originally, the Gamecube files had been placed like so: usb/games/*gamename.iso* which was causing USB Loader to not see the game files correctly. As Pedro said, it's more like usb/games/game_name/game.iso

I believe the issue for the Hard drive causing a loss of power to the Wii was due to an extra voltage that caused the Wii to shut down. I'll probably see if that's the case once I am more knowledgeable on electricity. Though, I still find that odd. 12V max to the harddrive, ONLY to the harddrive, then data to the Wii. Probably the Y cable.

The FORE/NEWS error was just me being dumb. Ran a connection test, no problems afterwards.
In even shorter terms: Me being dumb, electricity being complicated, and me being dumb to the second power.

Reactions: Sypherone

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Y-cable is not needed on Wii.
I have multiple issues going on. After FINALLY getting a Wii with Boot2 compatibility, I swapped the bad disk drive out and got to here. I set up RiiConnect24, with the new updated DNS, and now I keep getting FORE/NEWS000002 anytime I try to boot those apps. I have accepted the EULA, downloaded the WAD's to the respective places, cleared the config file, etc.
But wait, THERE'S MORE! After setting up USBLoaderGX, my Gamecube games will not show on the menu. I have them enabled to show, I have set the right paths, etc. Any tutorial on how to fix it doesn't work.
Third strike: a Hard drive issue. Thankfully the USB 2.0 flash-drive everybody recommends is working fine. My issue is running out of storage. My old 500G HDD from a broken PS4 is formatted, but doesn't detect when inserted. It also can sometimes cause all power to drain from the Wii, causing an issue with booting. If anybody has suggestions, let me know.

EDIT: The RC24 bot helped me fix the 000002 errors.
If your hard drive kills power to the WIi there is probably a short. I would get rid of that drive immediately, at the very least try it in a different enclosure as the enclosure might be the issue, but if the issue continues then get rid of the drive.
Gladly.
Originally, the Gamecube files had been placed like so: usb/games/*gamename.iso* which was causing USB Loader to not see the game files correctly. As Pedro said, it's more like usb/games/game_name/game.iso

I believe the issue for the Hard drive causing a loss of power to the Wii was due to an extra voltage that caused the Wii to shut down. I'll probably see if that's the case once I am more knowledgeable on electricity. Though, I still find that odd. 12V max to the harddrive, ONLY to the harddrive, then data to the Wii. Probably the Y cable.

The FORE/NEWS error was just me being dumb. Ran a connection test, no problems afterwards.
In even shorter terms: Me being dumb, electricity being complicated, and me being dumb to the second power.
For managing GameCube games, try this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-backup-manager-official-post.611247/
It's the GameCube counterpart to Wii Backup Manager. (not by the same person)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Y-cable is not needed on Wii.
Depends on the used drive. The Wii USB drive seems not limited like on WiiU to max 500mA and that cuts the power by more. Therefore drives that work on Wii without might need one on WiiU. There not exist real specs of the Wii USB port which is a USB 2.0 Port. But in case of a USB 3.0 drive that needs 900mA, thats not downcompatible with USB 2.0 will not work without Y-Cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol