Hardware is it ok to update system through usb formatted as hard drive

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to play demos from xbox shop on my 360 if that is still working or play online on halo 3

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, flash drive.
oh i made it into a storage device or thats what it said im saying if i update my xbox and it installs to the usb and the usb one day is not in the xbox and i turn it on will it mess it up because the update downloads to the usb

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You put $SystemUpdate folder on a flash drive. It installs to the system, not the flash drive. It installs some things to internal hdd, but it doesn't matter if it's plugged in afterwards.

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You put $SystemUpdate folder on a flash drive. It installs to the system, not the flash drive. It installs some things to internal hdd, but it doesn't matter if it's plugged in afterwards.
i dont have a hard drive for the xbox

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also i want to download it from internet

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just use another one. I don't know if the update will be detected if there are other things on it. it's pretty much like how it is on the ps3, where it's good to have it empty other than the update.

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just use another one. I don't know if the update will be detected if there are other things on it. it's pretty much like how it is on the ps3, where it's good to have it empty other than the update.
Can I just update from WiFi?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I believe you can do that as well. I've never updated with wifi though, so I don't know what to expect. what dash kernel are you on? I believe the latest is 17559.

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I believe you can do that as well. I've never updated with wifi though, so I don't know what to expect. what dash kernel are you on? I believe the latest is 17559.
I have 2.0.17559.0

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Where do I put my game data because when I formatted it as a storage device it added a file called xbox360 do i put my game saves in there

Last edited by bob1212,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're on the latest then. the xbox360 stuff is for use by the 360 itself. it does that when you format it. I don't think there's anyway to directly use it, even with a jtag/rgh. it's been too long since I used the console in any official capacity. I don't know if fatxplorer or party buffalo can see into the xbox360 stuff on a usb device. they can with an hdd, but I dunno about usb. you're not supposed to have direct access to saves iirc, so there's probably no official way to get them on there.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not entirely sure what you want achieve, it's already on the latest version, if you want to load games from a usb it has to be rgh'd

I think he's trying to get saves on to the system. I know you can with fatxplorer or party buffalo, but afaik, it only works with a fatx drive like the hdd. I don't know of any way of accessing the xbox360 stuff on usb, even with a jtag/rgh. it's encrypted somehow, maybe it's a fatx partition, but I don't know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the op may be the same user who was going to rgh with that hard drive that didn't work due to being on official firmware. if you can get a wd scorpio make/model, it will work. then you can plug it into your pc with the transfer cable to use with fatxplorer. I've done this before, and it should work. 500GB seems to be its limit though as I've heard of instability with larger hdds. you can get your saves on there, which I think are 00000001 folders iirc. you may have to resign them, but it's been a very long time for me. you can use use memory cards as I think there's a pc reader for them of some sort. I don't know if a slim has memory card ports, but iirc, you have a phat, right? I have two memory cards in mine. I think 512MBs is the largest. I have like a 512 and a 256, just to have. I think I put my profile on them for storage, but it's also on the internal hdd. I don't know if you can get anything to read an external hdd that's been formatted by the system. I don't think you can access that data even with a jtag/rgh. it seems to be encrypted in some way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: super monkey ball