Is it safe to update via game disc?

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi bros. I received my pre-owned wii 4.3J (Case label: JPN) with neogamma installed (but no bootmii or priiloader installed) and without network/internet connection. When I test it with Wii Sports Resort (HKG version) DVD disc, it pops out a prompt for update (Sorry, I am bad in Japanese and forgot to take a photo so I cannot provide the complete message) during disc loading. Since the type of softmod applied is unknown, I am not sure if it will just update the IOS, or/and clean up the system menu or/and clean up custom IOS. It has no bootmii and priiloader, to avoid bricking it, I didn't proceed but it does not allow me to run the game. May I know if that "update" is safe to proceed?

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

do you have access to the homebrew channel??

If so, post a syscheck report here, please.
It does not have hbc. It also cant see the message of letter bomb or wilbrand in SD card even I can transfer the save file to it. I am thinking to do factory reset.

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An official update can 003 brick a console if it was originally Korean and poorly region changed

ModMii is safe to use to update even in this scenario
Thanks for the advice. That's means it may update the system menu even it is on 4.3J? Will it be safe if mine is not Korean version?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
if you're already on 4.3 you are probably safe from an update even if the wii was originally korean and poorly region changed, the only way to brick would be if a stock IOS80 were installed during the update, which would only happen in an official update if the custom IOS80 installed during the region change was set to a lower version, which pretty much no guides would have you do. But in theory if someone were to poorly region change from korean to something else (leaving behind the korean key in the seeprom), and install IOS60 to slot 80 with version number of 1 for example, an official update would install a stock IOS80 leading to 003 brick.

If your wii was never originally korean, an official update shouldn't cause 003 brick. But in theory, if someone were to add the korean key to the seeprom using korean kii, it would be possible to 003 brick the same way a poorly region changed korean wii could as described above. But pretty much no one is doing this afaik, it would almost have to take someone going out of their way to set a trap for someone else to 003 brick themselves for this to happen.

TLDR: if your wii was not originally korean, an official update should be just as safe as any other method (i.e. just the risk of power loss at critical moment). But ModMii is slightly safer as it protects against 003 bricks even in super rare scenarios that are very unlikely (but when applied to a large enough same size, it will apply to some ppl for sure)

edit:
to simplify, 003 bricks are caused when the korean key is found in the seeprom and the system menu is running off of IOS70 or IOS80 (if an unstubbed IOS60 is installed to slots 70 or 80 then it's fine even if the korean key is in the seeprom)

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...