Hardware is the 250gb USB stick absolute minimum for PS4?

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
you need a special type of USB flash drives that conforms to specific standards. These standards are:
  1. The support of USB 3.0 (or higher) connection. It means that older generations are NOT accepted.
  2. Minimum storage capacity is 250gb and maximum is 8tb (if ever available).
Once the USB stick meets these standards, it’s fully PS4 compatible for the purpose of extended storage.

so even with the latest update, the ps4 will absolutely not allow installation of PSN purchased games to any kind of usb storage that is below 250gb, is this correct?

thanks for letting me know!

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so even with the latest update, the ps4 will absolutely not allow installation of PSN purchased games to any kind of usb storage that is below 250gb, is this correct?

thanks for letting me know!

Hmm shouldn’t be, I can only speak for 5.05 and below.

You should be able to use any thing at all that’s USB and fat32/exfat formatted (at least for media files and apptousb).

Perhaps it’s a constraint of extended storage..it’s on Sony’s official documents, but it doesn’t sound good.

Edit: only reason I can think of is it’s a minimum recommendation. Perhaps give a smaller storage device a try and see if it works?

Esit2: scratch that https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/ps4--external-hdd-support/

If it doesn’t conform you get error code for not being usb 3, and error for not being 250gb.

Last edited by KiiWii,

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ah i see, i thought with the newer updates, smaller sized usb sticks would be allowed, but it seems that's not the case after all. (i was planning on buying a 64gb stick but i thought i'd ask first)

thanks for looking into this for me!

Reactions: KiiWii

Alsa1953

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Kingston 256Gb USB 3.2 because my new PS4 thin only accepts the following: USB 3.0 or later - 250Gb minimum - directly connected to PS4.
After formatting it on my PC to ecFAT (only option) its showing 1.89mb used and 230Gb free space!!!???
When I plug it into PS4 it reads as 1.99mb in use / 248Gb free. However when I try to format I get the CE-41901-5 error.
So PS4 still not accepting it. WTF??!! Resetting console and updating system software didn't help.
Thoughts anyone?

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Kingston 256Gb USB 3.2 because my new PS4 thin only accepts the following: USB 3.0 or later - 250Gb minimum - directly connected to PS4.
After formatting it on my PC to ecFAT (only option) its showing 1.89mb used and 230Gb free space!!!???
When I plug it into PS4 it reads as 1.99mb in use / 248Gb free. However when I try to format I get the CE-41901-5 error.
So PS4 still not accepting it. WTF??!! Resetting console and updating system software didn't help.
Thoughts anyone?
Redacted

Last edited by ILuvGames,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1