Hacking Is there any point in getting a R4i Gold 3DS Plus to replace my CycloDS?

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Years ago, I had an r4, the old original models that didn't support SDCards over 2GB and had many MANY games not work due to even the earliest and simplest form of antipiracy patches or all sorts of other issues. (IIRC using the teleport-stones in Portrait of Ruin used to crash MANY people's games unless you had a MicroSD card that had a very very fast internal Random Read speed, something not even normally advertised). On top of all this, it hadn't been updated in forever.

I thought enough was enough and looked for the most feature-packed and compatible flashcart for the DS at the time.... and that was the CycloDS. I got it and I was happy. It worked perfectly with all my games, supported SDXC cards, it would get updates, all was well.

.... that was then. And while they continued to improve such as by creating the CycloDSi, the only flashcart that could actually run homebrew and itself in DSi mode instead of just tricking the DSi's whitelist and making it run in DS mode like every other cart even today does..... they stopped. No more updates for years, their site went down, and newer anti-piracy methods were popping up that didn't work with the cart anymore. R4 also start getting community updates long after the original support died, but I don't believe they were compatible with my massively outdated model.

I still have that CycloDS cart, but I am tired of putting up with it. With the recent NTR feature that many carts support I figured it was time to get a new DS flashcart. I don't NEED the NTR feature for now... but it's a nice extra to have anyway on top of being able run DS software with it. Thing is, the main issue I have with my CycloDS.... the main reason I want to replace it, is for updated firmware that I assumed got past any anti-piracy features of any DS game, since the last DS game was released long ago... but now I am finding out that even the latest R4s, such as the R4i Gold 3DS Plus don't get past the anti-piracy features of many DS games still..... and they also still fake a whitelisted DS game to work in a DSi instead of run in DSi mode.... despite the Cyclo team having figured out how to practically a decade ago.

So if this is all true, and even the latest R4 cards that have an NTR switch still don't support running anti-piracy enabled games or DSi mode or anything else like that.... is there any actual reason for me to get a CycloDS over what I already have anyway? I was thinking it would be nice that I would be able to use it on a 3DS, but a 3DS running CFW can do that with blacklisted flahcarts anyway, and I will likely just play on my DS to avoid the screen-crunch. Is there any reason for me to get a modern R4 over a CycloDS to play on my DS?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold 3DS + does let you run anti-piracy enabled games (at least when using cheats to bypass it). Every game I've tried on it has also run flawlessly. My only complaint about the card is that you can't go back into the menu once you start a game, but that's only really a problem on the 3DS where it takes a while to get into DS mode.

And what's wrong with tricking the whitelist? It's a functional way to bypass the anti-flashcart stuff in the DSi.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had a DS-Xtreme, an M3 Real, an M3i Zero, a SuperCard DS Two, and an R4i Gold RTS. I've enjoyed each of these devices, but the R4i is the one I use now. It's not expensive, it is fast, has a working RTS option, has a very low battery consumption (compared to SC DS2) and the OS is functionnal. Totally worth its (small) price.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
totally worth it.

I had similar issues with the original R4- I was about to get the cycloDS but never did because of the damn price... got Acekard2i with AKAIO man that thing kicked ass...

AND I could mod it with NTRboot! whats more on my card I didn't need to switch back to DS mode... it seemed to work on both. weird.

even though it was dated it was one of the few cards that could trigger NTRboot. I since lost it and got the highly recommend R4i Gold 3DS RTS. No stupid timebomb, no out of date- wood R4i firmware felt exactly like AKAIO firmware.

never needed to do NTRboot since but its there if I need it. I love it such a solid buy. highly recommend it. I run games on DS mode just fine.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently still using the SC DSTwo for all my DS gaming, works well but have thought about upgrading. Just wondering if the R4i plays GBA games as well (or allows using emulators in general)? The DSTwo has a built-in GBA emulator that has always worked very well for me. I'd prefer to keep that functionality.

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only complaint about the card is that you can't go back into the menu once you start a game, but that's only really a problem on the 3DS where it takes a while to get into DS mode.
There's a soft reset button combination in game to return to the R4i menu if that's what you mean.

Reactions: tranfeer

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait really? I didn't think there was one. I even went and bought a DSi XL so I could get back to the menu without it taking so long to go back to TWL_FIRM when I forgot to enable a cheat.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold 3DS + does let you run anti-piracy enabled games (at least when using cheats to bypass it). Every game I've tried on it has also run flawlessly. My only complaint about the card is that you can't go back into the menu once you start a game, but that's only really a problem on the 3DS where it takes a while to get into DS mode.

I know there are ways to patch the rom, but it's annoying trying to keep up with which roms need patching and which ones don't. Not to mention that I don't want to basically modify the dumps of all the DS games I own to get past the antipiracy, and I have no idea if that will cause issues in future emulators or not.

Some of the games, like the last Professor Layton, Solatorobo, or Pokemon Black and White, designed their AP to make it look more like the game is glitching or bugging out. Which can make it harder to tell it's a game you need to patch.

And what's wrong with tricking the whitelist? It's a functional way to bypass the anti-flashcart stuff in the DSi.

Eh... on top of it kind of being messy and showing up a weird game as the cart, the main issue is that it can't run in DSi mode and thus can't run any DSi games/software. My point was that since it was broken over a decade ago by the Cyclo team how come nobody else has ever also broken it?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... I never realized that whitelist-carts couldn't load in DSi mode. I always wondered why they didn't do that & just limit DS games to DS mode.
For AP patches I just grabbed a copy of DeadSkullzJr's cheat list, which has the cheats in there. As long as you check the cheat list in the flashcart first, you'll be fine.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issue is I don't want to have to try to keep track of which games have it, test them, etc and make sure they are patched right, especially since many of them implemented in a way that's not obvious such as the game glitching or corrupting your save.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wait really? I didn't think there was one. I even went and bought a DSi XL so I could get back to the menu without it taking so long to go back to TWL_FIRM when I forgot to enable a cheat.
I think you can change it in the Wood R4 settings, it's set to something like L+R+Start out of the box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Damn, stay on that plastic. (If you know, you know)