GCN List of reading speed sensitive games ?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean games that display text for a short amount of time before going to the next screen, without user interaction? These must be very rare indeed. Even in most text heavy games like RPGs, you have to press a button normally to proceed.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

I thought the same thing as the first reply, but now I agree the second reply is probably correct. However, I doubt there's any lists for either.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I have not really seen this as a formal class of discussion in gamecube modding world, though it exists in other consoles and PC stuff.

1) Actually gamecube specific. This would be "audiofix" related stuff and mostly appeared during the early Wii days where the mod chips that were for the Wii but also did gamecube because why not failed to include or had sub par audiofix compared to the then mature GC only offerings. Some did mistake this as speed related and might have conflated it with the 3x mode Wii software DVD read speed (as opposed to 6x mode from a chip) limitation.

2) Some games on various devices have been seen to declare errors and whatnot if a drive fails to return data.

3) General fun and games associated with low read speeds. This is to say longer load times between levels, texture delays, pauses/slowdowns within games that might not be there on a good quality stock drive and game.

Somewhere between all three is stuff like the Xbox KOTOR problems. Here the original devs would specifically (you can see a similar tool in the Gears of War demo leaks on the 360) put files in given locations on the disc to prevent it from having to read ahead randomly on a disc and shuffle the laser around to do it. When the more primitive rip files in alphabetical order approach was taken (and it was the easier way for most -- hard to rip a many gigs game when you maybe only have 2 gigs of stock hard drive to play with) and that then burned back to optical disc it would work but show loads where before they were masked by clever disc layout (those continuing to load from a hard drive having no such problems). More ISO focused methods would later be developed/adopted but it is a thing to note in these sorts of discussions.

In any case other than a list of audiofix affected titles (which I don't have either) I am not aware of any particular lists here. For the 2 and 3 stuff some fans of a given title might note it in a FAQ or have it as common knowledge for their little circles but nothing really widespread here.

1l0v3w11gam3s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for you replies, I was wondering because of the nintendont option "Unlock Read Speed" option set to off by default, maybe it was affecting too many games and people would complain or something like that.

Also thought about a disc reader that could read any disc ever created, from GC to blue ray and how specific read speeds would probably be needed.

Thanks for your replies everyone, might be interesting to make a list of that, or integrate it in the nintendont compatibility list.

Have a nice day.

hdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you have any ideas of games with particularly long loading times? Or games that have issues when loading them from SD2SP2 or SD Gecko?

I'm working on an old-new hardware design that connects an M.2 SSD drive to the GameCube. I need to test as many titles as possible to get an overall feeling what's the compatibility like and if my solutions is indeed better than SD2SP2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: already did