Nintendo Switch Pro naming "leak" gets falsely reported

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Word that an upgraded Nintendo Switch is in the works has been going around for quite some time. In 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on an "enhanced" Switch version. In 2020, Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News, and Bloomberg both reported that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch" for a release in early 2021. More recently, in early January 2021, ScriesM speculated on some Switch Pro details from datamined information. So a lot is pointing into the direction that such a console might indeed be in the works and online video game outlets are combing the net for any new, juicy details.

The latest report about this cryptic Nintendo Switch Pro relates to its name. Several websites have said that the console's name has been rumored to be leaked following a tweet from a Brazilian reporter. The latter , going by the handle of PH Brazil (@phluttilippe) on the social media platform, responding to another tweet about the new Monster Hunter bundle for the Switch, said that "they wouldn't make such a bundle if better hardware were available. Now we have to wait and see if something happens in the next fiscal year" [editor note: this comes from a translation I obtained via Google Translate]. And he ended his reply by hinting at the better hardware as the "Super Switch".

This mention of the Super Switch was picked up by several online media, which thought that the Nintendo Switch Pro's name was finally revealed. Last year, another Twitter user, Tyler McVicker (@Tyler_McV), also used the "Super Switch" name and this second instance from PH Brazil seemed to confirm this naming as an insider news. However, after those reports went live, PH Brazil replied to at least two tweets (in Portuguese), saying that the "Super Switch" naming is actually how he wished the Switch Pro to be called.

Here, according to translation from Google Translates, PH Brazil writes that "Guys too emotional, man, hahaha. Super Switch is literally just what I wanted him to call it."

In a following tweet, he confirms that it is indeed how he wished the console to be named.

As per translation from Google Translates, PH Brazil here notes that "The guys complicate me, hahaha. I said in another tweet: this is just what I * want * the business to be called :(".

So while the naming of the rumored Switch Pro is still up in the air, how would you liked that console to be named? Do you think that an enhanced version of the Switch will even be released?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Last year I saw a Sega Genesis clone on sale was 2010.
well, that's literally the last year of the 00s, so my saying was right? PSX arrived on 1999/2000, and genesis didn't die until almost a decade later

it was very evident that it was not just an upgraded Wii because it wasn't advertised as being simply an updated Wii. Anyone who was confused about what it was is a moron.
You seem to forget that a big part of the console sales are parents buying them for their children, and they're not exactly "in the loop" about new/lite/XL editions and such. I do think it was one of the reasons it didnt sell well. The NES and SNES had evidently different designs and graphics, nobody would confuse a NES game for a SNES one... while the wii and the wiiU are both similarly white, and both have similar 3D graphics to an aunt's eye. It's not just about the name.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, that's literally the last year of the 00s, so my saying was right? PSX arrived on 1999/2000, and genesis didn't die until almost a decade later

You seem to forget that a big part of the console sales are parents buying them for their children, and they're not exactly "in the loop" about new/lite/XL editions and such. I do think it was one of the reasons it didnt sell well. The NES and SNES had evidently different designs and graphics, nobody would confuse a NES game for a SNES one... while the wii and the wiiU are both similarly white, and both have similar 3D graphics to an aunt's eye. It's not just about the name.
and anyone who's smart enough to hack buys 2 one will be for legit play and one wlll be collecting dust for the day a hack is unleashed

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
- Super Switch (SS) - Now you are switching with super power. But yeah SS ... not something Nintendo is gonna do for obvious reasons.
- Nintendo Switch Pro (NSP) - If Apple got to give it a name. But nice nod to the scene ;) as well.
- 'New' Nintendo Switch Deluxe (NNSD) - Probably what Nintendo will call it in the end.

What I would call it and why;
Nintendo Switch + / Nintendo Switch Plus , as it will be a in between console. A real NEW era is not gonna happen yet so they could convey that with + / Plus. Which has additional features and makes the console life longer. (Think about smaller bezel, DLSS, better Bluetooth (direct audio connection) somewhat better battery / cpu / gpu etc.

They could even build on that late with a Nintendo Switch X / Nintendo Switch Xtra (where they animate it where plus flips over into X) being the even more 'heavy' powered version.

But quite frankly Nintendo has no clear naming conventions most of the time.

So only time will tell ... and I am going to be all in for sure as long as it stays hybrid as the original Nintendo Switch is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: "Oh my God the graphics are so realistic looking." Lol of course it was the shiznit back then tho.