Hardware NS suddenly dead

V1NC3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey folks,
made an account after reading only for a long time because I got a very big problem with my Switch and hope I find a wise person who can help me out.

I own a unpatched V1 and used CFW for nearly a year now. First I got a RCM Loader but after getting tired to use it everytime, I wanted to play (didn't use the Switch very often), I've installed a Picofly chip.
First everything was fine until a few weeks later when I noticed that the display backlight was switching on and off in the dock. I checked what's going on and saw the Switch crashed with the right JoyCon connected. The Switch restarted and booted up till the Nintendo logo, crashed, booted up to the logo and so on (it even skipped the hekate bootlogo and showed the N logo immediately). Without the JoyCon connected, I was able to use it normally. So I resoldered the chip and everything worked again for something around two weeks without any problems. Since then, I can't start the Switch anymore, I've tried every solution I found on various sites and forums to fix this (long time charging, (hard-)reset, recovery mode, check the solder points/resolder etc.) without any success. Display and backlight stayed dark and my PC can't connect to it, too.
The chip itself showed some sign of life, with my SD card installed, it blinked three times short: blue, yellow, yellow and without an SD card it shone dimmed blue and flashed blue constantly till performing a hardreset.
So I decided to check if the Switch would boot without any modification and desoldered the chip what didn't work out. The caps are all still on the board and there wasn't a short or something similar, so that couldn't be the cause of this strange behaviour I think.
I also want to add that the dock blinks two times yellow when I insert the console.

Do someone know what could have caused all of this, what's exactly broken or any possibility to get my Switch back to life?

V1NC3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats a lot of symptoms. Any chance you were very liberal with isopropyl alcohol when cleaning flux, etc?
That could be but I'm not sure about it, tried to remove all of the residues I saw, needed relatively much to clean up the originally thermal paste but didn't flood the board with it. Can using too much of it be problematic?

Last edited by V1NC3,

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That could be but I'm not sure about it, tried to remove all of the residues I saw, needed relatively much to clean up the originally thermal paste but didn't flood the board with it. Can using too much of it be problematic?
I have seen a couple times where too much has been an issue. Its usually with lower concentration alcohol, but if you go overboard its always possible for some of the left behind water to get caught under something and short a chip. If you were pretty liberal with the alcohol and it was lower than 99%, that may have caused some issues with surrounding components.

V1NC3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you were pretty liberal with the alcohol and it was lower than 99%, that may have caused some issues with surrounding components.
Alright didn't know that, thanks for this info. I always use high-concentrated ipa, like 99,7% or 99,9% but I get your point, seems logic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto